New stuff on my Turbo Vado 4.0

Marquezdl

Region
Other
City
Medellin Colombia
Well, awhile back I posted that I had would rather have a Turbo Vado SL. Thats still true, but the Turbo Vado SL is not available in Colombia. So I am doing my best to enjoy all the fine qualities of my Turbo Vado and change a few things around to be more to my liking. I have always ridden road bikes in the past and active suspension components like suspension seatposts, stems and forks are outside of my experience and my comfort zone.
I ride mostly in the city…however Medellin has more than its share of nasty bumpy broken surfaces, potholes, ruts, and gravel backstreets.
so I have replaced the stock seatpost and saddle with a Ritchey carbon Seapost and a Gilles Berthoud leather saddle with titanium rails (I have lusted after that saddle for well over a decade, and at my age that is pushing it!)
I also replaced the stock bars and grips with Passchier laminated bamboo bars ( I ran this pair on my old road bike for a year and I LOVE the soft ride they give) and Ergon cork grips. now I the front end is much more to my liking.
the lovely Japanese made Crane bell is roughly 10X louder than the “bell” that comes with the Turbo Vado stock.
Next will be some 650x48 Rene Herse semi-slick tires and lighter tubes.
now if I could just replace that suspension fork with a rigid carbon fork🤔

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpeg
    IMG_0431.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    748.2 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0434.jpeg
    IMG_0434.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 305
Hey Marquez, didn't you say the streets in Medellin were rather steep? If so, how do you imagine riding a Vado SL there?

Yes there are some damned steep streets here, above 25% grades aren’t uncommon.
However, the Turbo Vado SL is almost 10 kg lighter than my Turbo Vado, and the SL has lower gears than the Turbo Vado. I can get up the grade to my apartment in Sport mode which I suspect would be comparable to the SL maxed out. In turbo mode I can fly up in 2nd or 3d gear
It’s all academic at this point since Specialized Colombia is not offering any Turbo Vado SL models here.

If I replace the wheels with some 650B Roval carbon wheels and Rene Herse tires, all I will have left to complain about will be the suspension fork…I really would prefer a Carbon fork and save the 1.5-2kg of weight

Yes there are some damned steep streets here, above 25% grades aren’t uncommon.
However, the Turbo Vado SL is almost 10 kg lighter than my Turbo Vado, and the SL has lower gears than the Turbo Vado. I can get up the grade to my apartment in Sport mode which I suspect would be comparable to the SL maxed out. In turbo mode I can fly up in 2nd or 3d gear
It’s all academic at this point since Specialized Colombia is not offering any Turbo Vado SL models here.
Uh, I dunno, really :)
I could climb a 19% grade incline in high mountains on my full power Vado in 100% Turbo (my motor is stronger than yours, it is like the 5.0) and with 38-46T modified gearing (0.83 ratio). I had issues to climb a 14% grade incline in the 48-42T gearing similar to yours. Vado SL (any version) has the motor half the power of your Vado. The Vado SL 5.0 gearing is 44-50 (0.88 ratio). I really doubt yoou could do 25% incline on a Vado SL unless your legs are terribly powerful... The e-bike weight does not make a dramatic change unless the rider is a lightweight person himself.

Still, it is an academic talk :)

Uh, I dunno, really :)
I could climb a 19% grade incline in high mountains on my full power Vado in 100% Turbo (my motor is stronger than yours, it is like the 5.0) and with 38-46T modified gearing (0.83 ratio). I had issues to climb a 14% grade incline in the 48-42T gearing similar to yours. Vado SL (any version) has the motor half the power of your Vado. The Vado SL 5.0 gearing is 44-50 (0.88 ratio). I really doubt yoou could do 25% incline on a Vado SL unless your legs are terribly powerful... The e-bike weight does not make a dramatic change unless the rider is a lightweight person himself.

Still, it is an academic talk :)
well Stefan, I love these long distance chats with you! regardless if you are correct or not now, you will certainly be correct in 3 or 4 years when I plan to replace the Turbo Vado…I will be pushing 80 by then!🤣😂🤙

Now that I have a couple hundred K’s on my ebike I have to say I like it much better. The handlebars are a couple inches narrower which is handy when maneuvering in traffic, they also have a nice bit of give to them for soaking up bumps.
And I really like the Ritchey carbon seatpost. I just never was comfortable with the suspension post. Now I feel much more natural riding.
now about the carbon rim idea……..

I want to get those handlebars, too! They look so comfy. Are those the 760mm length ones?
They are the “Gump” model. I hope the thief who stole my bike 2 months ago is enjoying them. I really like them!

Well, I guess its finally time to sh-t or get off the pot!
I cannot get a Turbo Vado 4.0 in Colombia now….they are totally out of stock and have been for some time.The Turbo Vado SL is not and never has been available in Colombia.…
However, the Turbo Creo is available, and there are some pretty good looking deals on new 2022 models!
unfortunately there is no indication that the Turbo Creo 2 will be available in Colombia, so I think its time to pony up to the bar and drop my dinero on a new 2022 Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO….Jesus, that is a ridiculously long model designator, but a pretty sweet looking ebike!😎

Well, today I got a big surprise! I checked the Specialized Colombia website and they are showing the Turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ as available! Its the 2022 model. I think this may be what I have been waiting for.
the only downside is the battery isnt removeable!
Does specialized sell range extender batteries for the Turbo Vado SL?
any opinions on the Turbo Vado SL 4.0?
Stefan Mikes, maybe you can tell me if the battery charger for the Turbo Vado SL is the same one used for the Turbo Vado? I still have the charger for the Turbo Vado 4.0 that was stolen almost 4 months ago.

I think if you look around you will get it cheaper!

Does specialized sell range extender batteries for the Turbo Vado SL?
Yes, yes, yes. A Range Extender battery holds exactly the half of the main battery charge, weighs 1.0 kg (2.42 lbs), and comes with a fitting water-bottle-cage, and a rubber band.
You need to buy as an extra the SL Cable (Road version). If you want to charge the main battery and the RE in parallel, you need to buy an SL Y-Cable as well.

FYI, I own as many as four Range Extenders.
any opinions on the Turbo Vado SL 4.0?
An excellent, lightweight and durable e-bike you can carry in one hand, also upstairs. There are two cons compared to the full power Vado:
  • The motor can only deliver up to 240 W of mechanical power, which might make steep climbs problematic. You might want to replace the chainring with a small one, such as one used on Levo SL, that is 32T and shorten the chain to get mountain gearing.
  • The e-bike is quite stiff. Many of us have installed the Redshift ShockStop stem to get some front suspension. I personally recommend to swap the stock tyres for Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss, possibly convert to the tubeless system (the wheels are tubeless ready) and ride under lower inflation pressure: that would give a lot of cushioning without installing the suspension stem.
Vado 5.0 SL comes with front suspension (Future Shock + carbon fork) and wider gearing, just saying.
Stefan Mikes, maybe you can tell me if the battery charger for the Turbo Vado SL is the same one used for the Turbo Vado? I still have the charger for the Turbo Vado 4.0 that was stolen almost 4 months ago.
No, it is completely a different charger. Vado SL runs on 48V while Vado uses 36 V.

Congratulations Marquez! You will be so glad, I am sure! What colour?

Vado SL has changed me from an e-biker to a cyclist over the time of my ownership. It was my principal e-bike for a gravel ultramarathon: it was as lightweight as I could carry it uphill, upstairs, over obstacles. It handled off-road as a gravel bike, and it was far less shaky but more nimble than the heavy Vado. The fact Vado SL provides some half of the power that the "big" Vado does made me work out more. Over the three two and a half years of the ownership, I have been gradually reducing the assistance on both Specialized e-bikes I own. This year, I'm going to complete a 100+ km gravel race without any assistance on the Vado SL, possibly removing the main battery for lighter weight and replacing the drivetrain to get real mountain gearing.

The only two more serious failures I could record was a bent rear rack (never -- I say never -- overload it, and spread the weight equally between two panniers), and a worn out crank (but the latter has resulted from the heavy beating the crank got on several crashes).

I cannot wait until you start riding your Vado SL!

Last edited:
Its a Black size Large…beggars can’t be choosy…I am pretty sure it was the only/last Turbo Vado SL in stock in Colombia. I would have preferred a 5.0 or the white/sage 4.0. But actually I am just ecstatic that I was able to get ANY Turbo Vado SL in Colombia. Its the first time in almost 2 years they have shown as available on the Specialized Colombia website.
my guess is that since its a 2022 model, Specialized is trying to globally blow out all remaining non current stock at deep discounts…almost 40% off from the MSRP.

Its a Black size Large…beggars can’t be choosy…I am pretty sure it was the only/last Turbo Vado SL in stock in Colombia. I would have preferred a 5.0 or the white/sage 4.0. But actually I am just ecstatic that I was able to get ANY Turbo Vado SL in Colombia. Its the first time in almost 2 years they have shown as available on the Specialized Colombia website.
my guess is that since its a 2022 model, Specialized is trying to globally blow out all remaining non current stock at deep discounts…almost 40% off from the MSRP.
The good thing is you can still use the BLEvo app on it (instead of the pathetic Specialized App).

1709509435556.png

The app is totally configurable and international. The fields here read:
  • Time of Day
  • Pause
  • Phone battery %
  • % and Wh of battery remaining
  • Rider's Power
  • Motor Power (electrical)
  • Speed (kph or mph)
  • Cadence
  • Ride net duration
  • Current speed
  • Assistance Level
  • Distance ridden according to GPS
  • Climb grade % (do not trust it!)
  • Remaining Range
  • Battery Temperature
  • Motor Temperature
It is 16 data fields! By comparison, a Wahoo ELEMNT Roam can only display 11 data fields on its Workout data page. Be aware Vado SL works with both Garmin Edge or Wahoo ELEMNT (Bolt or Wahoo) but only Wahoo and BLEvo can understand the Range Extender :)

Last edited:
I will pick up the new ride on Monday! I am really excited to get riding again!
its been since early November and I am very curious to see how I will do.

Got my new Turbo Vado 4.0 SL today. As Stefen warned me, it has considerably less boost than the Turbo Vado.
however it rides and handles much more like a conventional road bike, and I really enjoy riding it more than the Turbo Vado.
its a better choice for me, and YES, I can make it up the short 25% grade to my apartment, albeit in Turbo and my lowest gear, but that was with about 5 kg of battery charger, manuels, and tools in my backpack!

Back