Need help choosing a group ride/commuter e-bike

VeloBoiler

I'm new to the EBR forums but thought you all might be able to help me buy my first e-bike.

Some data about me...
  • 55 years old, 6', 195 lbs
  • Started riding a road bike about two years ago to recover from lung surgery.
  • Was averaging about 2500 miles/yr
  • Do group rides, event rides and occasionally commute to work (11 miles one way)
  • Recently diagnosed with a heart issue and need to keep my heart rate below 110
  • Live in Cincinnati, OH so I need to deal with hills and cold winters
  • Can do minor maintenance but not interested in customizing a bike
  • Would like to spend <$3000
Since I'm looking for local support I have narrowed the vendors down to Trek, Specialized, Raleigh, Pedego, A2B, Stromer, and Elby. I also have a local shop that customizes KHS bikes with BionX electrical systems. Since the Copenhagen Wheel is just a wheel I was considering dropping the local support requirement for them but the inability to remove the battery from the wheel makes commuting a little less convenient.

I've test ridden a KHS Urban Xpress fitted with a BionX S350 D and it made the hills manageable but on the flats I couldn't go as fast as I could on my road bike without resorting to throttle mode. I've also test ridden an Elby 9-speed (BionX D500) which was significantly faster and a fun ride but different than riding a bike and over my price range.

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions you can offer.

Run from a battery in a wheel without local support from a dealer with some history.
Trek now owns Electra and the townies make great conversions and the frames are flat foot, crank forward. No jumping up onto or off of seat. I have 4 in that . 3 are KHS but they lowered cost and quality. Crank forwards are perfect for me. I walk needing a cane, heart disease and some leftover stroke damage. Flat foot bikes were lifechangers

Given your specific criteria and the manufacturers you're looking at, I don't know how you could possibly go wrong with a Specialized Turbo. There are apparently 2016 models around for well within your budget. Maybe one of the Turbo guys will weigh in (Doug Ruby?)

Last edited:
I love my Trek XM 700+! I carry an extra battery and a charger in a floating seatpost rack to increase my range.
The bike is $3500, a bit more than you want to spend, but it will easily do a 30 mile round trip with you soft pedaling.

Tom, thanks for the extra note of caution on the Copenhagen wheel and glad you found a bike style to keep you riding. I've gotten used to riding my endurance road bike so would like to keep more of a forward riding position if possible.

Dave, Specialized Turbo does look like a good bike but I'm a little worried about running into legal problems here in Ohio trying to ride a 26 mph bike on bike trails for the group rides.

Luv2ride, I've looked at the XM700+ but as a 28 mph bike has the same issue as the Specialized Turbo. Have you ever ridden a Trek Conduit?

Dave, Specialized Turbo does look like a good bike but I'm a little worried about running into legal problems here in Ohio trying to ride a 26 mph bike on bike trails for the group rides.
There are some bikes and some builds that are extremely stealthy. Especially if someone just wants a low level of assist. Some of the hub motors aren't much bibber than dynamo hubs and batteries can be mad, purchased, in forms that would fit in a seat bag. a 36V 250 with a 10s3p battery around 8A would be unseen. Especially without a throttle. Sorry I'm not trying to be devious but am alarn=med by some MTB just flat out banning any assist motors. Sensible people can ride sensible bike that won't tear up trails and threaten the safety of fellow riders.

Back