Help in choosing, Trek Alliant +8 or +9.9?

You beat me to it. The 500 needs the spacer View attachment 61776(just behind the battery handle), the 625 does not. AFIK, there are no othe issues with using a 625 with the PLCX motor or the Allant +7.

But it’s $1000 without the spacer. I guess it would make more sense to get the battery extension for the same money. Less complications and 1000W total. Or, if OP gets the 8s, he can reach up to 1125W by getting the battery extension.

1597013468495.jpeg

It depends on if you want a spare battery to change out when you need it or if you want to make your new RIB style frame as ugly as most other ebikes by adding an additional boxy outside battery.

It depends on if you want a spare battery to change out when you need it or if you want to make your new RIB style frame as ugly as most other ebikes by adding an additional boxy outside battery.

You’re right, it looks kind of ugly. Actually I was thinking of getting the battery extension myself, but thanks to you, now I’m confused :)

You’re right, it looks kind of ugly. Actually I was thinking of getting the battery extension myself, but thanks to you, now I’m confused :)
Boy, that was easy!😎
Seriously, don’t let my simple-minded approach ruin your reasoning.🤓

Are you saying/suggesting that the 625 battery can be installed in the Allant +7/7S which are delivered with a 500 Ahr battery?

Yes. That is exactly what I was saying.

The Allant+ 8 (CX 20mph version) is also delivered with a 500Wh battery. Only the 8s (28mph version) and the 9.9s are delivered with a 625 Wh battery. All five models (7, 7s, 8, 8s, and 9.9) can be installed with either battery.

They also all have the capability to add the external 500Wh powerpack.

Is it different in the US then? I'm in the UK and my Allant+ 8 came with a 625 battery, compatible wioth the extra range boost battery if you need it.
There are comments about the rack on the 8 above - well I absolutely love the rack. It looks so much better than a traditional rack. But it is also very practical. It takes my ortlieb back roller classics perfectly. The issue with the rack pack only occurs if you want to carry a rack pack but no panniers. In that case. what I do is velcro my D lock to the top of the rack. This raises the effective top of the rack to above the mudguard (I think you call them fenders). You can then attach a rack pack without it sitting on the mudguard.

Is it different in the US then? I'm in the UK and my Allant+ 8 came with a 625 battery, compatible wioth the extra range boost battery if you need it.
There are comments about the rack on the 8 above - well I absolutely love the rack. It looks so much better than a traditional rack. But it is also very practical. It takes my ortlieb back roller classics perfectly. The issue with the rack pack only occurs if you want to carry a rack pack but no panniers. In that case. what I do is velcro my D lock to the top of the rack. This raises the effective top of the rack to above the mudguard (I think you call them fenders). You can then attach a rack pack without it sitting on the mudguard.
It is the same is the US, all Allant +8 come with the 625 battery. I agree with you on the racks, not at first but one I purchased the Ortlieb panniers, I saw the functionality and aesthetics of the design. I can easily fit a case of beer that I pick up when visiting some local breweries and have Anouilh room for some crowlers, to bring home enjoy during the week. Love that can can mix up the long work out rides with brewery or farmer’s market rides. Sometimes one ride doubles on the spur of the moment, so I keep the panniers on at all times. 8 months of nearly trouble free riding. Occasionally when I hit a bump at speed, I do momentarily lose power and the the controller resets. I have an appointment at my LBS to handle that and apply the firmware up grades.

But it’s $1000 without the spacer. I guess it would make more sense to get the battery extension for the same money. Less complications and 1000W total. Or, if OP gets the 8s, he can reach up to 1125W by getting the battery extension.

I paid $1100 for the whole setup. Obviously the extra battery is the lion share of that cost. I planned out and setup my bike for commuting pre-Covid and figured I would need the extra battery during colder weather or windy days. Since we went to work-from-home in March (and is looking like it will extend into 2021), I haven't used the extra battery - most of my rides are 15-25 miles with 40 being the longest. I've been considering removing the external mount and reinstalling at a later date. I haven't made a decision yet and will likely discuss with my shop this week when they install my Kiox. I still give the battery plenty of use on my Terns.

1597582107991.pngAllantNew_D.jpg

It is the same is the US, all Allant +8 come with the 625 battery.

Not according to the specs listed on the US Trek website:

The Allant+ 8 website states (under "Specifications") that the Allant+ 8 comes with Bosch PowerTube 500 battery:

And the Allant+ 8s website states (under "Specifications") that the Allant+ 8s comes with the Bosch PowerTube 625 battery:

It is quite possibly different in Europe.

I just checked the UK Trek website and unlike the US site, the UK site does indeed list the 8 as having the 625Wh battery in the UK, but they do not sell the 8s in UK (presumably due to speed regulations):

Interestingly, I also note that the UK version of the Allant 7 appears to come stock with an adjustable stem, which is different than the US version.

Last edited:
Back