Help choose a sub-$4000 bike for 30 mile round trip commute in SoCal (Purchased Trek Allant+ 7S!)

Pizzaburrito,
Congrats on your search for an ebike. That’s a fantastic commute distance and with your budget you’re sure to find a great bike.

When you mentioned the Trek was a little too upright for you, I immediately thought of the Specialized Como. It’s frame geometry is more relaxed and has higher handlebars. However I’m not sure if it comes in class 3 (28 mph).

You mentioned being able to fit the bike in your sedan. Does that mean having quick release hubs on the front wheel? Many ebikes come with through axles. Maybe that’s something you can add after purchase.

Your test rides will narrow your selections.

You will have a blast riding your ebike!

@Marci jo Thanks! Sorry I should have been more specific, I prefer to sit more forward than upright or back. The Haibike is mostly upright but is slightly more forward than the Trek. Sitting upright isn't a deal breaker though since I understand that it helps with visibility.

@DaveMatthews @byunbee Looks like Giant offers the FastRoad E+ EX Pro. It has a 375 W battery, which seems small. Is that a concern?

@Marci jo Thanks! Sorry I should have been more specific, I prefer to sit more forward than upright or back. The Haibike is mostly upright but is slightly more forward than the Trek. Sitting upright isn't a deal breaker though since I understand that it helps with visibility.

@DaveMatthews @byunbee Looks like Giant offers the FastRoad E+ EX Pro. It has a 375 W battery, which seems small. Is that a concern?
375 seems a little low to me as well. Mine's a 500. That being said I suppose it's all about the motor, programming, weight and route. 30mi should be fine. More is always better though.

I test rode the Specialized Turbo Vado yesterday. They were out of stock of the 4.0 but had a 5.0 and I was told it would give a good enough feel for the bike. The motor is very quiet and smooth. The Specialized is a fine bike, but my personal preference was for the Trek.

I called the shops in my area and they didn’t have a Class 3 Haibike or Giant in stock, so I also eliminated those options.

So I purchased the Trek since I liked it and felt I test rode all my viable options during lockdown. Thank you to everyone for your input! 🙏

For anyone interested in the Trek: It does not fit into my sedan. I removed the front wheel and seat and it almost makes it in but I can’t close the trunk due to the front fender. So time to look for a hitch+rack...

UPDATE:
So the Trek *does* fit in my sedan if I remove the front fender, front wheel, and seat. Very cumbersome but it does work.

Last edited:
I test rode the Specialized Turbo Vado yesterday. They were out of stock of the 4.0 but had a 5.0 and I was told it would give a good enough feel for the bike. The motor is very quiet and smooth. The Specialized is a fine bike, but my personal preference was for the Trek.

I called the shops in my area and they didn’t have a Class 3 Haibike or Giant in stock, so I also eliminated those options.

So I purchased the Trek since I liked it and felt I test rode all my viable options during lockdown. Thank you to everyone for your input! 🙏

For anyone interested in the Trek: It does not fit into my sedan. I removed the front wheel and seat and it almost makes it in but I can’t close the trunk due to the front fender. So time to look for a hitch+rack...
Glad you found what you like, congrats!

did you try putting the bike in the car front wheel first? Generally, ther back seat is higher than the hatchback or trunk lip.

If the Allant was priced like the Vado I might have gone in that direction...but the price gap between the 4.0 and 7S was too big for me.

Enjoy your bike- great choice

If I ever wanted to order an Allant+ in Poland, TREK PL don't offer the Speed versions of the bike. Neither does Giant PL with the Quick E+. That leaves Turbo Vado 6.0 as the only 2020 "Class 3" e-bike coming from the Big Three in the Polish market.

Back