3500-4500$ Ebike, help me choose

• You do not visit such stores
  • You have no ride data
I have no need to visit such stores ( I have more skills then most "bike mechanics ")
I have no need for ride data (only those that are interested in posting them and saying look at me do)

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly.
Only you cannot.
Can not and choosing to not are very different things.
You can not have a throttle
You can not exceed 250w
You can not fix your own bike (verified by your boss)

My current situation is all by choice
dance1.gif

You can not have a throttle
You can not exceed 250w
You can not fix your own bike (verified by your boss)
Don't want to have a throttle. If I wanted, I have bought an electric motorcycle.

Of course I can exceed 250 W. It is only you ignorant American not to understand the facts.
1650469792207.png

73 mile, 4000 ft elevation gain, max grade +8.2%

Yes, I cannot fix my own e-bike. I give employment to the people who can do it. You simply cannot afford it. Or, are so selfish not to let other people earn their green dollar.

Last edited:
You seem to get the answer on the difference between the Trek, Cannondale, Gazelle and Specialized e-bikes of similar class. Can I help you more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not pointing fingers, just pleading for a truce and de-escalation from all parties so the thread remains enjoyable and productive :)
Therefore, @ebikerr:
  • Have you understood the price difference between the Priority Current and the four e-bikes you mentioned in the OP? :)
  • Do you understand the benefits from going together with an established brand?
  • Are you aware so-called "Euro" mid-drive motors are actually powerful?
  • Are you going to ride or rather sit in a shop? ;)
  • Have you ordered a Vado yet? :)
I invite you to the Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero User Club, where you could ask users specific questions.

Thank you everyone. I am the OP. I learnt the following things from this thread

1. I am a selfish monster. I cook food at home thereby denying others green dollars to make food and sell it to me. My selfishness is causing poverty
2. Specialized is the company which actually puts real work into customizing the system with their software and interface etc., The other 3 are using off the shelf cheapest software they can find
3. In the end my choice is
Go with Specialized. Or go with Priority 1 current if I think my perceived peace of mind is not worth 1400$ I will pay for Turbo Vado 4.0 (Or the 5.0 IGH which is 1000$ more with belt drive and stuff)

I did find owner reviews of Priority 1 current bike motor failing within a month, and how they got it repaired from a local bike shop and Priority refunded them. In all a win win. They were able to eradicate poverty by paying a local bike dealer.
So I could be helping the society by buying priority current and giving bike shops business.

Now if I could only test drive a bike at a shop like we do a car here, that would be amazing, but for now, its going by the reviews. Most probably it will be a Priority current. But who knows what Friday brings!

I am not the OP Stefan :)
Sorry dude... I see that the moderators cleaned things up a bit but I did see some comments before they did so.
You always come across as the voice of reason and with sound advice.. Thanks!

That said.. 🙃
I seriously could care less about any of this.
But I absolutely love twisting the panties on the ever present, condescending know_it_all who repeatedly states he's ignoring me.... but you know, who's ego just will not allow. I love how he posts maps, charts, stats and photos to prove he's the smartest while I'm just laughing my ars off. I know it's not nice to pick on some... but I'm weak.

To the OP... Good luck.
Nothing seriously against Specialized other then paying for a proprietary system... Great for many and a solid bike... just not my thing.
What some will never understand is we have choice because we all don't have the same priorities. I work on my bike and went DIY because I enjoy it. It was an awesome Covid project and bragging rights and material goods give me little pleasure. I know I'm mostly to blame for tanking the economy and the current inflation... but I am admittedly, one selfish bastard. But I did revive a 12 year old bike that I like and didn't add to the over consumption that many seem to be addicted to.
Can I get a pass?

I made another European 'contraption' today. It does 30Mph/42Kph. It has details such a leather washers on the fenders.
1650499828392.jpeg

1650499923933.jpeg

1650500091527.jpeg
1650500167088.jpeg

Attachments

• CremeUno3g.JPG
    CremeUno3g.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 195
  • CremeUno3h.JPG
    CremeUno3h.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 194
  • CremeUno3i.JPG
    CremeUno3i.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 209
Leather washers are a really nice touch.....

Very nice... Me personally I'd drop the brown tires but otherwise very gentlemanly.
Thank you. I was going to put on some black gravel tires but the LBS manager wouldn't sell them to me. He said that everything had to match brown or it would clash. I lengthened the battery wire so now it disappears better. The curvie durvey 25Kg load rack goes on next. I will ride it in a big parade this weekend then maybe sell it. The parade is called Butter & Eggs Day. 50 riders will be part of the climate change group. Another group of 100 will be a maternity stretchy pants riding club.

I like the brown, my Vespa GTS was vintage red with brown appolstery. Like your brown on black I was put off at first but it evokes vintage. And old school HD and Indian. Manly in a society where we’re dinosaur’s. Can’t even get a barber shave and snicker at free dog eared Playboys.

It is hard to tell what decade this bike comes from. Check out the wires/connectors at the HB. Tan walls could work. I want the tech to be largely invisible. As Boy Scouts we would do paper recycling in the back of a box truck. Kind people would put out their Playboys for the Boy Scouts.
I like the brown, my Vespa GTS was vintage red with brown appolstery. Like your brown on black I was put off at first but it evokes vintage. And old school HD and Indian. Manly in a society where we’re dinosaur’s. Can’t even get a barber shave and snicker at free dog eared Playboys.

Attachments

• DSCF9746.JPG
    DSCF9746.JPG
    627.8 KB · Views: 184
Thank you everyone. I am the OP. I learnt the following things from this thread

1. I am a selfish monster. I cook food at home thereby denying others green dollars to make food and sell it to me. My selfishness is causing poverty
2. Specialized is the company which actually puts real work into customizing the system with their software and interface etc., The other 3 are using off the shelf cheapest software they can find
3. In the end my choice is
Go with Specialized. Or go with Priority 1 current if I think my perceived peace of mind is not worth 1400$ I will pay for Turbo Vado 4.0 (Or the 5.0 IGH which is 1000$ more with belt drive and stuff)

I did find owner reviews of Priority 1 current bike motor failing within a month, and how they got it repaired from a local bike shop and Priority refunded them. In all a win win. They were able to eradicate poverty by paying a local bike dealer.
So I could be helping the society by buying priority current and giving bike shops business.

Now if I could only test drive a bike at a shop like we do a car here, that would be amazing, but for now, its going by the reviews. Most probably it will be a Priority current. But who knows what Friday brings!
Have you looked at this Gazelle
Between beltdrive and fork with enclosed shock it is as maintenance free as it gets. Excellent brakes which nice to have even if your commute is mainly flat. Nuvinci drive means you can find perfect cadence to maintain 20mph. I find with 11spd 3rd is to low and 2th to high, so end up cruising at 18-19mph, not big deal for my 5mile commute.
With performance line motor you should be able maintain 20mph into most headwinds and moderate climbs. There is option to switch Sports mode to eMTB which varies power between Tour and Turbo, something shop has to setup.
As commuter in hurry who wants to avoid showers at work you will most likely default to Turbo regardless of motor.

With belt drive running costs are really just new rear tire every 1500miles or so. With derailleur expect new chain ever 2000miles, cassette every 2-3chains, plus chainring, jog wheels and lube. There is also hours a year of your time maintaining drive train.

The other lower cost option is 8spd IGH with chain, single spd chains and spockets last forever and very cheap to replace. If you don't clean it and miss a few lubes it doesn't matter.

NB I've no experience of belt drives but spending hours a year maintaining a couple derailluer commuters.

Last edited:
The one I just made has the new KMC SS eChain that is about as strong as a belt. Yet, less expensive to run over the years. I like the Nuvinci but it is heavy.

Have you looked at this Gazelle
Between beltdrive and fork with enclosed shock it is as maintenance free as it gets. Excellent brakes which nice to have even if your commute is mainly flat. Nuvinci drive means you can find perfect cadence to maintain 20mph. I find with 11spd 3rd is to low and 2th to high, so end up cruising at 18-19mph, not big deal for my 5mile commute.
With performance line motor you should be able maintain 20mph into most headwinds and moderate climbs. There is option to switch Sports mode to eMTB which varies power between Tour and Turbo, something shop has to setup.
As commuter in hurry who wants to avoid showers at work you will most likely default to Turbo regardless of motor.

With belt drive running costs are really just new rear tire every 1500miles or so. With derailleur expect new chain ever 2000miles, cassette every 2-3chains, plus chainring, jog wheels and lube. There is also hours a year of your time maintaining drive train.

The other lower cost option is 8spd IGH with chain, single spd chains and spockets last forever and very cheap to replace. If you don't clean it and miss a few lubes it doesn't matter.

NB I've no experience of belt drives but spending hours a year maintaining a couple derailluer commuters.
Yes, I did :).
But its 1700$ more than Priority current. If it was a specialized mastermind system at 4000$ pricepoint it would be better. But at 4300$+ tax this seems too less of an bike when I compare to 2500$ of a priority current. Which I ordered.

Next few months will tell me if I was wrong to go against the tide and choose an online retailer instead of the big 4

Yes, I did :).
But its 1700$ more than Priority current. If it was a specialized mastermind system at 4000$ pricepoint it would be better. But at 4300$+ tax this seems too less of an bike when I compare to 2500$ of a priority current. Which I ordered.

Next few months will tell me if I was wrong to go against the tide and choose an online retailer instead of the big 4
Yes, but the Gazelle is in the budget you asked for. The Priority is outside of your budget range :)

Hope you like the Current. The Costco discount makes it a pretty good deal.

Back