Petite rider ISO basic, lightweight ride

newtothis

Region
USA
I'm new to the ebike world, looking for a relatively lightweight ride to give just a little more oomph to my speed on mixed-use urban roads, and add some fun to my errand runs.

Background / use: My "analog" bike is a 1980s touring Trek with very aggressive geometry and razor-thin tires. I lovethis bike and this style, am used to a long reach and dropbars, but would be willing to take a slightly more casual seat given the extra weight and wobble of an ebike. True cruisers make me very uncomfortable though. I want a bike that rides like a bike. Likewise, I'm not interested in fat tires, but would appreciate something with a bit more bite to the road than my current ride (so I can safely contend with imperfect asphalt and foul-weather days - not a possibility with my beloved Trek). Daily commute is only <5miles each way with rolling hills, nothing treacherous, so range/power are not huge issues, but it'd be nice to also use to haul some groceries, go on longer rides with a few steeper inclines, etc. I'm petite at ~5' and, though fit, don't think I could handle more than 50lb of metal. Also prioritizing removable battery for a number of reasons. Local to western PA (USA), so have also limited myself to bikes in stock at LBS that I should be able to try out in person (with it, too, some peace of mind that I can get local service if needed).
All uses generally doable with my Trek of course, but I don't want to arrive at work super sweaty and out of breath (long covid is annoying...), generally want something that isn't too unfamiliar, but also compliments what I already have.

TLDR: Listing a few models below that are available at LBS and I think I might be interested in (for slightly different reasons), would like to know if anyone has any firsthand experience with these models in particular, issues that have come up over time or reasons you did/didn't choose this bike, specific things to make sure I look for in a test ride. Thanks!
- Aventon Soltera.2 Step-Through
- Giant/Momentum Lafree E+
- Cannondale Adventure Neo 4 Bike
- Gazelle Medeo T9 HMB Step-through
- Specialized Tero 3.0 Step-Through

And yes, I'm aware of the basic spec differences between these. Not looking for add'l suggestions of other bikes at this time. Will plan to post back on the experience and general fit after some test rides, in case it's helpful to anyone else here.

Since you're on the extreme end of sizing, and you want "a bike that rides like a bike", I would probably rule out the Soltera.2. Its only real advantage in your requirement list is that it has a throttle (which I think none of the others do) which is very compatible with "don't arrive at work super sweaty".

I don’t have any of the bikes you listed, so I can’t be helpful with your specific query. But I am also located in western PA, and just wanted to mention some of the local bike shops in Pittsburgh that carry e-bikes in case you’re not familiar with them all:

Trek Bicycles in Shadyside
Kindred Cycles in the Strip District
Thick Bikes on the South Side
BikeTek in Squirrel Hill
Pro Bike Run (various locations)

Between them, I think they have all of the bikes on your list to test ride.

If you end up being interested in suggestions of bikes not on your shortlist but that meet your criteria, let us know and I’ll throw out a couple of ideas.

Good luck!

Specialized Vado SL 4.0 Step-Through EQ would fit the bill. It behaves like a true bicycle (can easily be pedalled unassisted), the version weighs some 37 lbs, the 10 miles round trip ride is nothing for that e-bike, and the boost up to 240 W of mechanical mid-drive motor power would probably be enough for your rolling hills (max grade please?) The rear rack allows transporting up to 33 lbs. It takes 38 mm gravel tyres. The only drawback is the battery is irremovable, and you would need to store that e-bike in heated environment in the winter.

No sweat on the commute? 16 miles hilly round trip could probably be ridden at 80/80% assistance, that is, with the assistance up to 192 W, which is more than a typical traditional rider can muster :)

Have you heard of that e-bike before?

1698049236379.png

It is quite a sporty e-bike, far from being a cruiser. I rode a Vado SL for 72 miles with 750 ft of elevation gain on last Saturday, the internal battery only :) (I'm 62 with a leg medical condition).

The bottom line is: Do not buy an e-bike just because the LBS sells them. Most of the e-bikes you listed are pretty heavyweight, and the Cannondale is a cruiser e-bike.

Last edited:
I don’t have any of the bikes you listed, so I can’t be helpful with your specific query. But I am also located in western PA, and just wanted to mention some of the local bike shops in Pittsburgh that carry e-bikes in case you’re not familiar with them all:

BikeTek in Squirrel Hill

If you end up being interested in suggestions of bikes not on your shortlist but that meet your criteria, let us know and I’ll throw out a couple of ideas.

Good luck!
Yep, these are all great shops! I'll also add, for anyone else looking local to the area (some a little further afield) that may stumble upon this thread:
REI in the South Side
The Bike Lab in Plum
Adam Solar Rides in Bridgeville

Specialized Vado SL 4.0 Step-Through EQ would fit the bill. It behaves like a true bicycle (can easily be pedalled unassisted), the version weighs some 37 lbs, the 10 miles round trip ride is nothing for that e-bike, and the boost up to 240 W of mechanical mid-drive motor power would probably be enough for your rolling hills (max grade please?) The rear rack allows transporting up to 33 lbs. It takes 38 mm gravel tyres. The only drawback is the battery is irremovable, and you would need to store that e-bike in heated environment in the winter.

No sweat on the commute? 16 miles hilly round trip could probably be ridden at 80/80% assistance, that is, with the assistance up to 192 W, which is more than a typical traditional rider can muster :)

Have you heard of that e-bike before?

View attachment 165246
It is quite a sporty e-bike, far from being a cruiser. I rode a Vado SL for 72 miles with 750 ft of elevation gain on last Saturday, the internal battery only :) (I'm 62 with a leg medical condition).

The bottom line is: Do not buy an e-bike just because the LBS sells them. Most of the e-bikes you listed are pretty heavyweight, and the Cannondale is a cruiser e-bike.
Yes, did briefly consider for the reasons mentioned (and it is a beautiful bike!). The removable battery is a dealbreaker for me, unfortunately. There are of course Vado 3.0 and Vado 4.0 models with removable batteries, but they are all (as far as I'm aware) significantly heavier than your 37lb!

Yes, did briefly consider for the reasons mentioned (and it is a beautiful bike!). The removable battery is a dealbreaker for me, unfortunately. There are of course Vado 3.0 and Vado 4.0 models with removable batteries, but they are all (as far as I'm aware) significantly heavier than your 37lb!
Do you mean you would store your e-bike below the freezing point in the Winter? If not, no worries. If yes, there is still some hope for you :) The LBS could on demand remove the internal battery for the cold season (the SL would become more lightweight), and you would need to buy an SL Range Extender battery (these are not deadly expensive!) with an SL Road Cable. The RE would be certainly good for 5 miles at high assistance or for 10 miles at somewhat lower assistance. Besides, the Vado SL would lose 2 lbs extra weight (net) during this operation :)

The Range Extender is removable and could be recharged at work or at home.

Not that I ever needed that (I keep my Vado SL in the apartment) but what I described is totally doable.

I'm surprised the category standard in lightweight drop handlebar bikes has not come up, Orbea.
Orbea website requires an 8 gb computer to be viewed so I cannot recommend a specific model. Locked my browser right up. Cort has dropped every Orbea review but mountain cruiser & cargo bikes. However, the mahle drive is very lightweight and doesn't have the disadvantages (expensive patented battery, required display) of bosch drive. I live without a display since the one that came with my drive kit fogged up from rain.
Drop handlebars solves one of the problems of upright posture, inadequate weight on the front tire. I was thrown over the bars on my chin 5 times 2008-2018 on mountain bikes & cruisers, due to the front tire having inadequate weight to grip the road & inadequate trail due to the change to quick steering design. I took the other solution 2018, a stretch frame cargo bike, since I view radical flexing of the neck as a particular risk to my spine. Stretch frames are not lightweight, however. I also prefer 1.5" to 2.1" tires for all weather commuting, not those high speed 22 mm things. I live & shop off my bike, no working automobile. I won't ride on ice but snow rain & cold do not keep me indoors. Wind over 30 mph will but such days come in singles. I'm perfectly satisfied with cable pull 160 mm disk brakes, but I have real steel cables (jaguar, clarks) that don't stretch & require frequent adjustment the way the grey metal cables of kiddie bikes do. Disk brake is now a requirement, I always hated rim brakes. I actually hit the side of a car in the rain with rim brakes after I stopped & restarted at a 4 way stop intersection and some lady in a car did not.
I have to say I don't understand the comment about wobble on ebikes. My yuba bodaboda shown in the avatar is as stable as a rock. The drop frame has no flex, and allows me to mount even though I lost the flexibility to lift my leg to my waist in my sixties. I'm 155 lb, 68" tall with 28" inseam (too short to buy trousers).
Sorry about the long covid. My covid fever was only 194 days, but I lost a lot of lung capacity. I had excess lung due to biking, but I'm not as fast & as powerful as I was in 2018 even yet. I used to be able to pedal me + 20 lb tools spares water + 80 lb groceries (330 lb gross) up three 15% grades of 100' without electricity. Not any more.

Last edited:
I'm surprised the category standard in lightweight drop handlebar bikes has not come up, Orbea.
Mahle X20 or X35 hub-drive low power motors are not good, especially for the hills. There are electronic gremlins bugging these motors, too. Thirdly: Have you looked up the price? It looks all the steam Orbea puts into these lightweight road e-bikes is the road bike part but the e-bike part is the weakest point there. Also, have you checked whether the battery is removable or not? I can bet it is not.

A question, Joe: Do you own an Orbea drop handlebar e-bike to recommend it? How do you "haul some groceries" on a road e-bike?

Orbea website requires an 8 gb computer to be viewed so I cannot recommend a specific model. Locked my browser right up. Cort has dropped every Orbea review but mountain cruiser & cargo bikes. However, the mahle drive is very lightweight and doesn't have the disadvantages (expensive patented battery, required display) of bosch drive. I live without a display since the one that came with my drive kit fogged up from rain.
Drop handlebars solves one of the problems of upright posture, inadequate weight on the front tire. I was thrown over the bars on my chin 5 times 2008-2018 on mountain bikes & cruisers, due to the front tire having inadequate weight to grip the road & inadequate trail due to the change to quick steering design. I took the other solution 2018, a stretch frame cargo bike, since I view radical flexing of the neck as a particular risk to my spine. Stretch frames are not lightweight, however. I also prefer 1.5" to 2.1" tires for all weather commuting, not those high speed 22 mm things. I live & shop off my bike, no working automobile. I won't ride on ice but snow rain & cold do not keep me indoors. Wind over 30 mph will but such days come in singles. I'm perfectly satisfied with cable pull 160 mm disk brakes, but I have real steel cables (jaguar, clarks) that don't stretch & require frequent adjustment the way the grey metal cables of kiddie bikes do. Disk brake is now a requirement, I always hated rim brakes. I actually hit the side of a car in the rain with rim brakes after I stopped & restarted at a 4 way stop intersection and some lady in a car did not.
I have to say I don't understand the comment about wobble on ebikes. My yuba bodaboda shown in the avatar is as stable as a rock. The drop frame has no flex, and allows me to mount even though I lost the flexibility to lift my leg to my waist in my sixties. I'm 155 lb, 68" tall with 28" inseam (too short to buy trousers).
Sorry about the long covid. My covid fever was only 194 days, but I lost a lot of lung capacity. I had excess lung due to biking, but I'm not as fast & as powerful as I was in 2018 even yet. I used to be able to pedal me + 20 lb tools spares water + 80 lb groceries (330 lb gross) up three 15% grades of 100' without electricity. Not any more.
Local Orbea dealers are quite a distance from my location, but thanks for the rec. Also, I think batteries on the drop handlebar styles I looked at are integrated only, not removable (and generally, this brand seems quite $$$ for my budget).
To clarify, I didn't mean the ebike wobbles on its own when ridding - I meant more, in my experience with heavier bikes (and every ebike I've been on), lots of starting and stopping on urban streets means more weight to manage when I put my foot down - I am the thing that wobbles. Literally just gravity haha. But to your point about distribution of weight, hard agree, this is one of my concerns especially step-through styles with rack-mounted batteries. Something I'll look at closely in test rides (and maybe will see if I can strap some weight onto those with racks, to simulate those grocery runs).

BikeTek in Squirrel Hill

Good luck!
Also, Chibbie, since you're local to Pgh, what are your tire preferences for the roads out here? I feel like I end up having to replace my tubes almost once a month for all the flats I get...

Also, Chibbie, since you're local to Pgh, what are your tire preferences for the roads out here? I feel like I end up having to replace my tubes almost once a month for all the flats I get...
Interesting! I haven’t had any flats at all around here on any of the three e-bikes I’ve had since getting into this about a year ago.

I’ve had/have the following:

1. Vintage Electric Cafe w. Marathon E-Plus tires (I’ve since returned this bike for unrelated reasons);

2. Lemond Dutch with Panaracer GravelKing Slick tires; and

3. Trek Verve+ 4s (originally with Bontrager E6 Hard Case Lite tires; it now has the Marathon E-Plus tires from the Vintage Electric on it).

My daily ride is just a short commute (a couple of miles each way) to work and back. But I’ve ridden all of them recreationally throughout the East End of Pittsburgh for many additional miles, including the Marathons on dirt/gravel trails through Frick Park; all of them on numerous local paved roads (including city streets and the roads through Schenley Park, which do have branches, thorns, etc., in abundance); and all of them on the paved “Jail Trail” from the East End to downtown. No flats. (Of course, having said this, I’ll get a flat today I’m sure! 😂).

P.S.: if you were going to consider additional possibilities beyond the bikes you listed, I was going to recommend checking out the new LeMond All-Road drop bar bike that just came out. I’m not sure I’d be able to do a road bike myself - I’ve found that an extended leaning position leaves me very uncomfortable - but based on my very positive experience with the LeMond Dutch and the fact that if anyone can design a good electric road-style bike, it would be Greg LeMond - the new All Road seems worth checking out. They only sell direct, so no local dealers; but they have a good return policy, if I recall correctly. No removable battery, but it only weighs 27lbs, so weight itself shouldn’t be much of a barrier to bringing it indoors to charge and store. (You may have other concerns unrelated to the raw weight, of course).

Last edited:
Interesting! I haven’t had any flats at all around here on any of the three e-bikes I’ve had since getting into this about a year ago. I’ve had/have the following:

1. Vintage Electric Cafe w. Marathon E-Plus tires (I’ve since returned this bike for unrelated reasons);

3. Trek Verve+ 4s (originally with Bontrager E6 Hard Case Lite tires; it now has the Marathon E-Plus tires from the Vintage Electric on it).

My daily ride is just a short commute (a couple of miles each way) to work and back. But I’ve ridden all of them recreationally throughout the East End of Pittsburgh for many additional miles, including the Marathons on dirt/gravel trails through Frick Park; all of them on numerous local paved roads (including city streets and the roads through Schenley Park, which do have branches, thorns, etc., in abundance); and all of them on the paved “Jail Trail” from the East End to downtown. No flats. (Of course, having said this, I’ll get a flat today I’m sure! 😂).
😂 Hopefully not!
That's great to hear, sounds like a little puncture protection goes a long way. Both car and bike tires have been victims to a lot of construction debris this year.

I feel like I end up having to replace my tubes almost once a month for all the flats I get...
I ride off-road knobby tires on road, 2.1". The knobs roll right over the garbage on the road. I get a flat maybe every 2nd year, at 2000 miles per year. I replace them when the knobs wear under 3/32". I don't use slime, it plugs up the valve after a year, and tires leak down 8% a month with no holes. No liners, no armor, $26 kenda giant or continental tires, giant or schwinn tubes. Knobs are good on snow & crunchy plowed snow, plus if I need to ride up a longitudinal obstruction they climb better. The city now makes concrete driveway entrances 2" tall minimum. I did have one schalbe tire, it had a steel cord fault that kept wearing holes in tubes in 300 miles.
I find removable battery important. I remove mine and store it in the garage under a heating pad once freezing starts until it ends, Nov to May usually. I don't ride 30 miles in winter, they don't make a battery big enough to do that in winter with all the hills out by my summer camp. Battery loses voltage 40% faster under 48 F. My winter trips are 8 - 10 miles and my geared hub motor doesn't drag unpowered. Another disadvantage of bosch bafang etc mid drives, dragging the motor with your feet unpowered. Shimano steps, yamaha (giant) & boden mid-drives have a slip clutch.
Rear rack mounted batteries hurt the weight distribution problem of cruisers badly. I have my bike balanced, with 20 lb tools tire & water in the bottom of the rear panniers, calf level. I have the 20 lb of battery and motor on the front. Balance keeps the back of the bike from waggling at stops. You can't buy battery and motor on the front, mine is a conversion of an unpowered bodaboda. That model has holes cast in the frame to mount a front basket. So I don't have to steer the battery, it is fixed. That is important on my rutted grass driveway in the country. I couldn't steer a converted cruiser I did at 2 mph with a 13 lb battery hanging from the handlebar & front axle.

Last edited:
Quick update for anyone who finds this thread (and may also be similarly vertically challenged...): I was able to try a handful of bikes before I landed on my surprise bike of choice. TLDR: Ended up with a different bike that wasn't on the list at all initially (of course haha) but still pretty much checked all the boxes, old stock of a great build from 2022 at a very very steep discount. Finding the right fit mattered a lot in my decision, so I'm ultimately glad I stuck with nearby bike shop stock, despite some very good-looking bikes elsewhere. I can't say that would have been the case though if I had been 6" taller or if I would have been content with an upright, casual position--there seem to be a lot more options out there that fit both of those needs.
Some notes about various test rides and fit below, with "big reveal" at the end.

(And as a brief aside here for people exploring similar bikes who might stumble upon this thread, also with battery removal as a factor, re: Stefan's suggestion above about the Specialized SLs with integrated batteries, although I didn't end up test riding any Treks, I briefly considered the FX+2 Stagger and spoke to Trek support about doing this with their bikes--temporarily swapping the integrated battery for their equivalent range extenders--and was told that would not be a problem with any of their integrated lines either, in case anyone is a diehard Trek fan.)
  • First test ride of this endeavor was the Specialized Tero3.0 Step-Through in small: The step-through helps, felt big overall but seat can actually get quite low (wish the handlebars were also like an inch shorter in relation to the low seat, but the more upright ride doesn't feel as uncomfortable on this bike for me). Even the handlebars felt a bit wide, but, again, didn't feel too weird on a mtb. Short test ride around the neighborhood. Did feel the cobblestones but was the smoothest rides of those I tried. Assist felt reasonable when I used it, and, on the higher levels especially, was very responsive, even from standing. Computer was one of my favorite for clarity on very quick glances down. If there was a size a few inches shorter, another couple pounds lighter, I might have stopped the search and just bought it. It doesn't really meet my needs re: commute (no fenders etc., it doesn't even come with a kick stand), but it was just a really really nice ride. Made me want to try the Vado3.0, since sizing and specs look so similar (wish they had my size in stock).
  • Next up, Gazelle Arroyo C7 HMB Elite Low-Step in 46cm/small: Medeo was only in stock slightly further away, but a different LBS made this rec based on my other inquiries. Fit was fine heightwise, but much more cruiser style for my liking. The folding handlebar magic was a nice touch to get the right fit. Took for short test ride. Even on fairly flat terrain, I could feel the weight too far back from center (due to both the upright ride and the battery tucked under the rear rack). Much slower to accelerate even on highest assist level. Smooth ride, but suspension didn't seem to make much of a difference (may I was too light?). The brakes felt really soft (maybe not "broken in" yet, since hydraulic disk I think, but just didn't leave a good impression). Did not like the twist grip shifters (or the weird twist grip bell). The whole "switches gears while you aren't peddling" was also just too weird for me. Felt like a foreign bike haha I guess it is! Just a different ride style than I am used to, but a nice option for others.
  • Also prompted by my LBS, tried Giant FastRoad E+ EX Pro, 28MPH, in small: I wasn't initially interested given the higher price tag. The standover height was at least an inch too tall for me, so mounting/dismounting wasn't super easy, but the seat adjusted to a decent height. If anything, the handlebars felt too close to my body (like, I was hunched over but my arms weren't reached out) - so maybe good for someone with a short torso but legs a few inches longer than mine. I think the specs put it at under 50lb, but something about the distribution made this bike feel the heaviest of those I tried that day at least while riding (did not feel nimble). Ultimately not a great fit, physically. Took for short 2mi test ride. Was very very zippy (as promised by LBS)! If anything, felt TOO responsive, a little jolty, eager to please. Accelerated with very little pressure, even at low assist modes. My partner said this looked the most "badass" of the bikes I tried that day lol but the matte black is definitely nice. Generally felt smooth ride, despite lack of suspension, but wasn't great over the cobblestones. Frankly, it made quite a bit of noise even on the smooth road: freewheeling was obnoixious clicky/rattling (which I don't think necessarily means anything is wrong, but got on my nerves after just a few minutes of riding), and the motor surges were also quite audible IMO.
  • Saw the Giant/Momentum Lafree E+ in small in person, but same issues with sizing and style, so didn't ride after test rides with Gazelle Arroyo and Giant Fastroad (since fit in seat was more or less between these two). Quite heavy to lift.
  • Across town, tried the Aventon Soltera.2 Step-Through Regular (smallest size): Test drive was way too short for my liking, but I understand that this particular LBS is in a very busy area and they're hesitant to let people get too far out of sight. I wish the frame were an inch or two lower so I could crank the seat up higher in relation to the handlebars (again, rides more like a cruiser when seat post is low). Didn't feel like a big bike though, nimble, could pick up without too much issue. Brakes were meh fine, again hard to test on short runway. Acceleration on even the lowest assist felt plenty for slight incline. Hard to be smooth with the throttle - LBS guy suggested I "rock" my thumb on the throttle to ease use, but frankly, this is hard to do if you have smallish hands/fingers. Shifting was easy enough but, again, not a big fan of twist grip shift style. No cobblestones to try here, but felt generally okay without suspension (yea, I felt the bumps, but also didn't feel unreasonably rattly). Would have liked to try again on a longer stretch of road. The acceleration not as smooth as the Tero, but was not too jerky - on such a short ride, I frankly didn't notice too much of a difference between this hub vs middrives I had tested regarding overall responsiveness. Lights are nicely integrated, though not sure I would bother with the turn signals. It was recommended I try the Level2, as well, but passed based on weight, ride style, and (frankly) looks.
  • Saw the Kona Ecoco in person and originally contemplated testing, but only a medium in stock so opted out. Did a "sit test" and I probably could have made it work even in the larger size (helped, too, by the step-through style), but with a more upright seat than I like. Generally though, looks like the Kona bikes run small, something to consider for other short riders.

Finally, tried the Kona DEW-E DL in small. When you know, you know.
The bike looked small even from the other side of the room (those baby 650 tyres make it sit quite low), so I didn't think the step-over would be an issue (and it wasn't). Very lightweight - I think spec'd online at 42lb, but the small might be a pound or two lighter (definitely the lightest bike I've picked up in this series of tests) - not featherweight but no issue lifting. LBS owner eyeballed the seat height and it was near perfect when I got on. Cockpit isn't as long a reach as I'd like (long term, may swap in a longer stem), but close, feels like I can get it perfect with some fine tuning of the fit. Anyway, took for a test ride to put through its paces. Gear range was fantastic, multisensors and the middrive motor felt very fluid. No jolting but still zippy! Didn't notice much noise from the motor, though you can hear the occasional whir. Felt good over lumps and bumps in the road (learned later the fork is carbon, so that probably helped smooth out some of the vibrations even without suspension). Assist was gentle but present on the big hill test. Brakes felt confident, even when unevenly applied. Fenders protected me from the little puddle I found lol. The computer screen is minimal, but I didn't have an issue with reading, and the controls were easy to adjust with thumb without looking down (2022 and I assume later models increased the size of the assist buttons, and added a secondary menu button in the same location, which is nice since the computer display menu button is awkwardly placed when riding). Integrated lights are bright (rear is adorable, though will probably want to supplement given its teeny size). Talked to LBS owner about the battery, since this was a concern of mine - it IS removable with an allen wrench, but does not have a built-in lock and is kind of a PITA to get off (especially on the smallest model, very close to the fender) and removal leaves the innards a little too exposed IMO. Fine for my personal use case, but maybe not ideal if someone needs to do this on the daily.
I had done almost zero research on this bike coming into the shop, since this bike didn't show up on their inventory online and it wasn't on my original list (new model is on the pricey side for me), but it was the LBS owner's rec for my needs, and I was very very happy with the fit and the ride, so bought on the spot. Since it was the older model, it was deeply discounted, dropped comfortably into my budget range. After a bit more research, I think this was a great buy and a good match in lots of ways.
I'm not going to write up a full review here (I don't have much to add to what was already said in this thread), but I will say I've done some longer rides and a handful of commutes now in the short time I've had it, and I'm still very happy with my decision!

Anyway, thanks to those of you who offered advice and experience, and urged me to keep my options open. :)
Hope some other smallish human finds this thread helpful.
Happy riding!

What, no photo of you with your new ebike? We need a picture! :)

Interesting! I haven’t had any flats at all around here on any of the three e-bikes I’ve had since getting into this about a year ago.

I’ve had/have the following:

P.S.: if you were going to consider additional possibilities beyond the bikes you listed, I was going to recommend checking out the new LeMond All-Road drop bar bike that just came out. I’m not sure I’d be able to do a road bike myself - I’ve found that an extended leaning position leaves me very uncomfortable - but based on my very positive experience with the LeMond Dutch and the fact that if anyone can design a good electric road-style bike, it would be Greg LeMond - the new All Road seems worth checking out. They only sell direct, so no local dealers; but they have a good return policy, if I recall correctly. No removable battery, but it only weighs 27lbs, so weight itself shouldn’t be much of a barrier to bringing it indoors to charge and store. (You may have other concerns unrelated to the raw weight, of course).
Considering Dutch but wanted to know what additional items you purchased for your e-bike (Mahle Pulsar One)

Yes, I got the Pulsar One display/remote. I consider it (or some kind of remote) to be essential for the Dutch; the position of the assistance select button on the bike itself is such that you can’t safely use it while in motion.

I don’t want to clutter up the OP’s thread, so if you start a new thread about the Dutch with any questions you may have, I’d be happy to jump in.

Yes, I got the Pulsar One display/remote. I consider it (or some kind of remote) to be essential for the Dutch; the position of the assistance select button on the bike itself is such that you can’t safely use it while in motion.

I don’t want to clutter up the OP’s thread, so if you start a new thread about the Dutch with any questions you may have, I’d be happy to jump in.
Always interested in your comments about Dutch, which I recently purchased. Looking at 35x Extender.

Back