Which commuter ebike? Specialized 2022 Como/Vado 5.0 vs 2022 Trek Allant+ 7S

25KM/h are the legal limits on assist set in some countries like the EU. I’m not sure of the conversion and am too lazy to look it up (am American) but a 17mph average is easily attained

Is that the general average speed of a trip that ebikes end up taking hills/elevations, turns, traffic into account?
My assumption is you want to cover 25 km in one hour. It is doable on a good e-bike. And no, you wouldn't average 35 km/h. A roadie would average 30 km/h on a road bike provided he was a fit person.

a 17mph average is easily attained
At what battery consumption, Joe?

That’s beyond my pay grade though it seems his route is flat. I’m unsure the length of his commute…the 50km no problem even in a higher level. I think it is important to note that shorter rides to boost physical condition will be necessary. Remember the ebike ‘assists’ the rider. As PS improves his fitness and probably drops some weight the range will increase. My Allant 9 with it’s 625wh can do the journey…but with a 500wh for 100km probably not.
Stefan…you’re a technical person…I’m sure you have an idea to the question you pose.

Hi @Mulezen the total commute incl return trip is 50KM (25KM one way). This is with the current route that is available to cyclists. No one knows yet until it is open and mapped but I suspect the dedicated cycleway will shave off 4KM in total so 46KM return trip. I also checked the weight of the Allant+ 7S and Turbo Como 5.0 and if I got the right figures from the internet then the Turbo Como 5.0 is 3KG lighter than the Allant+ 7S if that is a sizeable difference.

The advertised weights are rarely accurate…for example XL weighs more the smaller editions. I think the battery on your terrain will handle it but, as Stefan remarked, you want to be relatively fresh when you arrive…btw you’ll definitely be awake

My Super Commuter 7 (class one) with a 500 wh battery took me 40 miles in tour in mildly hilly terrain.
Cultivate your conditioning (something less likely for me at 72) since you’ll be out 5 days a week

I can average 28 kph on my Trek but only for about 10 kilometers. I think you will have trouble averaging over 30 kph for that long of a commute. When I ride further I average about 23kph but that is riding in tour mode which is one notch higher than eco.

^ That sounds realistic. Don’t be in a rush to commit to full computing. Get in shape a bit, then try to commute a few times a week. One thing for sure the ride home will be much easier…in any mode of transportation

I will be WFH a minimum of 2 days a week, so my plan is Office Monday, WFH Tuesday, Office Wednesday, WFH Thursday and Office Friday. I get a rest day in between commuting via bike doing it this way. I agree on getting in shape and practicing beforehand.

Does anyone know if it is possible to add the hooks/connectors to an existing backpack or another tip/trick? so that I can either hang it like a pannier on the rear rack or somehow add some sort of MIK plate to the backpack so that it can stow on top of the rack? I have a waterproof peak design backpack that is awesome and ideally, I would like to use this to carry my laptop, bike charger, laptop charger and lunch. I do not want to carry it like a backpack so that I am riding my body light.

Otherwise, I have found this backpack which looks waterproof? It would need to be hung from rear rack and I wonder if the extra weight on 1 side of the bike will be noticeable. I would prefer waterproof stow bag with MIK plate that can be stored on top of rack so it's balanced but it needs to be able to store a 15" laptop, chargers, lunch box etc..

https://www.basil.com/en/b-safe-backpack-nordlicht-zwart.html

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it is possible to add the hooks/connectors to an existing backpack or another tip/trick? so that I can either hang it like a pannier on the rear rack or somehow add some sort of MIK plate to the backpack so that it can stow on top of the rack?
It is the Ortlieb Vario backpack-pannier. As it is not a MIK solution, you would secure the tubes of your rack with a good soft tape where the hooks touch the rack.
I use the Vario more than often on my grocery shopping rides, especially with my Vado SL. If you don't need the backpack harness then you can leave it at home. If you want to turn your Vario into a backpack, just ride with the harness on your back. (The conversion takes a couple of seconds).

@powersquad: It is understandable why Trek and Specialized mention the 28 mph on the speed e-bikes. It is because you are getting the U.S. version in New Zealand. If these companies mentioned 45 km/h, they would talk about Euro Speed-Pedelecs that are type approved as mopeds. A U.S. Class 3 e-bike is still a bike, at least by law.

Last edited:
I’d say you should be able to hook that pack up to a bike rack in some manner with some experimentation, using bungee cords or something similar. You can buy a MIK plate separately but then you have to figure out how to mount it to the pack without it being in the way when you carry the pack on your back.

Thanks @dodgeman once I receive the bike, I will try and tie the peak design backpack with bungee cords. If it does not work, then I will buy Vaude eBack. It is 28L and has plenty of space for spare clothes, a padded laptop compartment and other pockets. I am looking into a lock now, helmet, MIK compatible trunk bag and grocery bag as well for personal commute to explore the city and supermarket trips. The Specialized Mode helmet looks good and is rated number 1 as the best urban city helmet according to the Virigina tech institute so would go with that.

I decided to go ahead with the Specialized 2022 Turbo Como 5.0 in black colour. I have paid the dealer $1000 refundable deposit and they reckon that at the most, it should be delivered by Feb 2022 which is ok with me as I will not need to use it to commute to work until end of March 2022 anyway. Really excited and looking forward to it!

Thanks @dodgeman once I receive the bike, I will try and tie the peak design backpack with bungee cords. If it does not work, then I will buy Vaude eBack. It is 28L and has plenty of space for spare clothes, a padded laptop compartment and other pockets. I am looking into a lock now, helmet, MIK compatible trunk bag and grocery bag as well for personal commute to explore the city and supermarket trips. The Specialized Mode helmet looks good and is rated number 1 as the best urban city helmet according to the Virigina tech institute so would go with that.

I decided to go ahead with the Specialized 2022 Turbo Como 5.0 in black colour. I have paid the dealer $1000 refundable deposit and they reckon that at the most, it should be delivered by Feb 2022 which is ok with me as I will not need to use it to commute to work until end of March 2022 anyway. Really excited and looking forward to

Oops ghost post …

Excellent selection of the 2022 Como 5.0!

Features that I believe you will appreciate:
1) 710 WH battery - Turbo range should be 35 miles … or 56 km. You should easily achieve your 50 km use case
2) Comfort - Upright seating takes the weight off your hands. 2.4” wide tires ride smoother at lower pressure. 80mm front suspension takes the edge off the pavement irregularities. Suspension seat post. All for a sweet ride. Low Step is brilliant with no downside IMHO
3) Equipped - Fenders are a must, Lights, racks, it’s all high quality factory installed and matched
4) All New Model - E bikes are rapidly evolving and Specialized is responding with key upgrades to the Como line. You are getting the absolute best they offer

You are going to live this bike. Tim

I have placed an order for a few bits from Rose Bikes which is based out of Germany. VAT will be removed before they process the orders and shipping is free to NZ! Main thing was the bike trailer which is Hamax Outback 2 that no one sells in NZ. I am really looking forward to taking the toddler out for some bike rides locally, especially around the lake, and once the baby is 12 months old, I will put her in the bike trailer as well. The 90Nm of torque will come in handy for trailer pull! I am certain that my wife will end up with an ebike as well within 12 months. Hopefully, I have covered off all the important accessories that are required. I will buy the Specialized Mode helmet from LBS that I have purchased the bike from.

1640692637598.png

1640692665988.png

1640692783713.png

1640692857088.png
Basil rear basket with MIK adapter plate pre-installed purchased from another local LBS that only they sell around me. I am hoping that this rear basket and the 2 x shopping carrier bag pannier can all be on the bike together at same time. I hope the width/length of the shopping carrier bag does not protrudes into the shopping carrier bag's hook system.

@Stefan Mikes they are using DHL to ship everything to me. DHL service to NZ is good. Rose Bikes did mention that currently they are experiencing high volumes of orders (Christmas orders and COVID delays). All the items I have ordered are in stock, so I am expecting them to ship the order before the end of this week and arrive at my doorstep within 5 to 6 business days after that. Currently only very few airlines are flying in and out of NZ due to COVID but luckily DHL and Fed Ex fly their own planes to NZ so I will not have to wait like a month unlike Amazon US orders which use DPD for shipping. I will not receive the bike itself at the earliest before the end of Jan (Feb more likely) so have plenty of time for Rose Bikes' order to arrive as well in case of any delays there. As soon as I receive the bike, I am going to start practicing commuting 25KM around my town and get familiar with the bike and then will do a practice run to my office on a weekend so that I know I can make it to office on time and get familiar with the dedicated cycleway. Winter season is 8 months away so having the bike for the current summer season will be great as I can then look at windproof/waterproof clothing closer to the Wintertime. I have every intention at this stage to even commute to work even if it rains during winter, which is why I bought that Vaude eBack bag that can store spare set of clothes, jackets, and trousers to change at work if needed.

Back