Name your favorite accessory

Had to think about this. First I thought the B17 saddle, then pedals... bell... lights, then I thought more about comfort and it came to me, the Kinekt seatpost suspension is number 1. I remember how amazing it was when I first mounted it. Now it's one of those things that just works without thinking about. I realize just how important it is when i ride a bike without it.

Mirrycle FTW ;)

Useful accessories:
1. Rear-view mirror. The fact I haven't broken any of my four Mirrycles over many months with frequent falls of my bikes says something.
2. Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat-post. Worth every cent.
3. Good pedals. It is the rider's most personal item. I've standardised on CrankBrothers Stamp 1 pedals.
4. Good grips. You cannot lose with Ergon GP3 or GP5
5. Ortlieb panniers with QL 2.1 system (fit any rack). Bike Packer Classic for bigger ones or E-mate for a compact one. If the Bike Packer Classic, it has to come with Ortlieb Commuter Inserts (sold separately)
6. Saddle: it is even more personal choice than the pedals. I'm all for Ergon ST Core Prime.
7. Bell: Knog Oi! (two sizes available, needs to be selected for specific handlebars)
8. Proper lighting, provided the bike has none.

Wow, Stefan, that Kinekt seat post is a lot of pennies - can you tell me why it's worth so much? What does it do for your ride? Thanks!

I have A little bag that sits to the left of the stem. Just big enough for phone, wallet, keys.

A co-worker picked up the Arkel Haul-it, and I loved it so much I've got one on order.

Perfect for those times when I make an impromptu shop-stop and don't have my huge 30L panniers, and also ended my search for a backpack with pannier hangers on it.

That looks incredibly useful, thanks for posting!

Wow, Stefan, that Kinekt seat post is a lot of pennies - can you tell me why it's worth so much? What does it do for your ride? Thanks!
@FarNorth,
There are many obstacles on our rides that make the back suffer: speed bumps, curbs, potholes, tree roots, name more yourself. While the front of most of bikes is protected against such slow vibrations with a shock fork, the rear typically isn't. When the rear wheel rides into/onto an obstacle, our back hurts. The ultimate solution is to have the full suspension (like in a motorcycle) but only mountain bikes and very few other ones are fully suspended (and it is very expensive).

The Kinekt 2.1 is one of the best suspended seat-posts that makes up for the lack of the rear suspension. It is a well-thought spring-based solution, with springs that match the riders weight (the springs are replaceable and tune-able). The major point is while many other suspension seat-posts act along the seat-tube axis (meaning these do not work very well), the Kinekt works vertically with very comfortable characteristics. The seat-post cannot fully replace the rear shock but it is very close to it. A good test is to ride through a speed bump or from the curb. With no suspension you clearly feel the shock in your spine; with the Kinekt you hardly notice that.

The competitor of the Kinekt is the Thudbuster seat-post based on the elastomer. Both seat-posts are very popular among the Forum users.

Important note is the full suspension or suspension seat-post cannot dampen fast vibration as felt on the gravel or cobblestone; here, reducing the tyre pressure to reasonable figure helps at the cost of increased rolling resistance.

1591851006114.png

Last edited:
Mirrycle. Have one on every bike I own.
Serfas E-Gel seat and base Bontrager suspension seat post.
Bar ends.
Love the Serfas DD Gel seats. Most comfortable ones I have tried. I have them both on my eMTB and my commuter. Highly recommended.

Well to be fair never even tried the stock pedals on the second bike, because I was so surprised how much better they were on the first bike I figured all stock pedals on these <2K bikes were probably the same crap (even though second bike was over 2K). I think it was the contact. grip that made it feel like a completely different ride. Have not tried any other than the Raceface Chester so I can't say what the other alternatives are really like. Just really could not believe the difference. The new contact provided a more sure footed feeling of control and like the power was going into the pedals not sort of riding on top.
Interesting take on the pedals sure footing. This is an area I never put a lot of focus on with upgrades. I think I am on my way to another set to improve my riding experience. Thanks for sharing!

The Kinekt is a top-of-the-line product. Less expensive options are available. We use the Suntour SP12 NCX posts on our mech bikes with good results. They list for ~$110, but are available for ~$70 online.

@FarNorth,
There are many obstacles on our rides that make the back suffer: speed bumps, curbs, potholes, tree roots, name more yourself. While the front of most of bikes is protected against such slow vibrations with a shock fork, the rear typically isn't. When the rear wheel rides into/onto an obstacle, our back hurts. The ultimate solution is to have the full suspension (like in a motorcycle) but only mountain bikes and very few other ones are fully suspended (and it is very expensive).

The Kinekt 2.1 is one of the best suspended seat-posts that makes up for the lack of the rear suspension. It is a well-thought spring-based solution, with springs that match the riders weight (the springs are replaceable and tune-able). The major point is while many other suspension seat-posts act along the seat-tube axis (meaning these do not work very well), the Kinekt works vertically with very comfortable characteristics. The seat-post cannot fully replace the rear shock but it is very close to it. A good test is to ride through a speed bump or from the curb. With no suspension you clearly feel the shock in your spine; with the Kinekt you hardly notice that.

The competitor of the Kinekt is the Thudbuster seat-post based on the elastomer. Both seat-posts are very popular among the Forum users.

Important note is the full suspension or suspension seat-post cannot dampen fast vibration as felt on the gravel or cobblestone; here, reducing the tyre pressure to reasonable figure helps at the cost of increased rolling resistance.

View attachment 55110
So well stated, without getting into the weeds of the tech. Real first person perspective is far more relatable.

So well stated, without getting into the weeds of the tech. Real first person perspective is far more relatable.
There are more user reviews for suspension seat posts on several other threads including,

My wife and I have used helmet mounted mirrors for decades. It's the one accessory I wouldn't leave home without. Being helmet mounted, we can also take them on our bike trips. We're using Cycleaware mirrors, but there are lots available.

I've been experimenting with handlebar mounted mirrors on my ebike recently thinking they might be better in traffic. I found mirrors mounted under the bar too distracting use, i.e. my eyes had to leave the road to use them. I tired 'shatter free' polished stainless steel mirrors; too much distortion. I've got a pair of Hafney reduced glare glass mirrors now. They do provide a wider field of view and make checking to the right much easier, but old habits die hard. I still find myself using the helmet mirror more often than not.

You didn't ask, but a very close 2nd is a decent water bottle. It gets thirsty out there...just sayin' 😎
Another Hafny rider - very cool! I just ordered my anti-glare version and look forward to seeing how it compares to last years model.

Did you go with both left and right mirrors? I have only mounted left mirrors on my road bikes as I ride mostly open highways. I have thought of trying out a right mirror on the bike I plan to take into large cities for riding around - if you have tried a right mirror, any feedback?

For those who like Mirrycle mirrors - excellent choice as well - I have friends who love them. I found the Hafny and Mirrycle compare really well and it comes down to personal preference mostly - the Hafny reminds me more of a car's side mirror due to it's shape verus the circle of the Mirrycle's (unless they make other shapes I don't know about?) and is why I have chosen Hafny's for me.

That looks incredibly useful, thanks for posting!
I've had it for about 3 weeks now, and it's basically on my bike all the time. I'm really impressed with it.

Because it folds up nicely, I can strap the Haul-It to the underside of my trunk bag using the bag's Velcro straps when I run into the store, so I'm not fumbling with two bags.

It'll hold a couple of (not super-full) bags of groceries, though I always pass the centre strap through the bag handles to avoid spillage... learned that quickly.

It will definitely hold a case of beer though I haven't tried a case of tall boys. :D

Does anybody use a triangle bag? The only ones I've seen have been very small (but very cheap). I'd like to try one instead of lifting my leg over my trunk bag.

Back