My 2015 EVO Street Has Arrived!

I don't think you mentioned riding downhill, that will probably help, if you ride downhill all the way...

Where I live it's like rolling hills, so there's always some uphill riding (typically 1% to 4% grade) and then downhill as one comes down the other side of one of the small hills. I always coast down those as there's no reason for me to pedal, plus it allows me to rest my legs a bit.

Here's what today's ride looked like in terms of terrain and grade %.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Where I live it's like rolling hills, so there's always some uphill riding (typically 1% to 4% grade) and then downhill as one comes down the other side of one of the small hills. I always coast down those as there's no reason for me to pedal, plus it allows me to rest my legs a bit.

Here's what today's ride looked like in terms of terrain.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Dang! If only you could find a circuit that was downhill all the way!

Actually that looks like a pretty good workout, even with moderate assist! Way to go!

Thanks! My legs are definitely a bit sore from yesterday & today and my face was quite pink. An hour of exercise 2 days in a row is like a new personal best for me!

The key is to be consistent. You cannot ride every day an not have positive results. At least that what I tell myself .

Often I ride 27 miles and use 2-3 bars on a Easy Motion. I'm around 175 lbs. I'm not in great shape The typical rie ride has a 800 ft gain, much of it is gradual. What is the difference? Speed and effort. The trail head is 3 miles from my home. When I feel lazy I just crank up the power and let the bike take me there and back full speed. On those rides I end up with less juice, usually a bar or two. Sometimes I set out with the goal of just using two bars. In those cases I keep things in eco, turn off the motor as much as possible, and only use assist on uphill or high traffic areas. The last few miles are the toughest. BH bikes want to go, will got over 20 mph, and are pretty efficient in eco and sport. They also don't show you the amount of effort the motor is contributing like other brands so its harder to tell. Hills us a lot of power, make sure to feel yourself contributing and getting a bit out of breath going up hills. BH bikes are overly happy to help out, even in eco. The trick to using less juice is to slow down a bit and peddle more. Even turning off the bike on flat. Of course, you don't go as far in a particular set of time, and that is the trade off. I love range, during the summer I hoping to do 70+ mile day trips and I'm working on finding the exact motor and fitness level so support this.

It will take me some time before I can ride 25 mi in one trip, but a little at a time and I'll eventually get there

My sit bones are sore from the seat. I either need a different seat or I need a thudbuster type of solution. Since I have to raise the seat up about 4 or 5 inches, I don't need to worry about the extra 3 inches a Bodyfloat or Thudbuster type addition will take, if I go this route.

It will take me some time before I can ride 25 mi in one trip, but a little at a time and I'll eventually get there

My sit bones are sore from the seat. I either need a different seat or I need a thudbuster type of solution. Since I have to raise the seat up about 4 or 5 inches, I don't need to worry about the extra 3 inches a Bodyfloat or Thudbuster type addition will take, if I go this route.

Consider an ARS Seat. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=sporting&field-keywords=planet+bike+women&rh=n:3375251,k:planet+bike+women . It's much better than the really hard seats that come on some bikes. Your bike has a city type saddle so the ARS might be in incremental improvement, not sure how your stock seat and the ARS compare. Personally, it makes seat bones a non- issue for me especially with padded shorts.

Last edited:
I respectfully have to disagree with the suggestions above, these cut-out seats can pinch. Also they can create a high pressure area where the seat resumes, and actually cause worse problems.

Below is another idea, for people that have pain in their pelvic floor from riding (not really relevant to the sit bones that you mentioned). It can feel like you're sliding off the seat at first but some people adapt well.

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Ergonomic-Adult-Pressure-Bicycle/dp/B00LH9MPO2

All and all, the saddle that came on the Evo Street was one of the best I've tried. I had to angle it downwards a little bit toward the front, but it then felt good.

Another problem with gel saddles, or any cushy saddle is it tends to spread the pressure evenly. You actually do want the pressure to be on your sit bones; it's a good sign that you are sore there. Other body parts can be injured by bike saddles that spread the pressure.

The suggestion to ease yourself into it with shorter rides was excellent. In your enthusiasm you overdid it! I applaud that, but it did hurt you.

After easing in, then it's going to come down to experimentation.

Last edited:
As I'm fond of saying, "Contents may have shifted during flight!" I have riding shorts with chamois, but it's been too cold just yet for shorts, although I have seen the lycra lizards out and about recently and we'll get a nice couple of warmer days mid-week.

The roads are kind of bumpy where I live so I'm going to try a suspension seat post, the one that people seem to like a lot (Suntour NCX SP-12) here at EBR. Since I have to raise the seat post anyway for proper leg extension while riding, the extra 3" from the suspension mechanism won't be an issue.

I'm taking today off from riding. My neck and arms are aching, not totally from riding the bike, but one arm has a shoulder cuff injury (possible tear) and I did put a bit too much pressure on my arms the first day out plus I've lifted some heavy objects recently. So, ibuprofen and rest and some ice.

Everything in moderation... including moderation!

@stevenast Everybody's got a different anatomy... :)

Yes, but in two basic variations ... neither of which does well health-wise with evenly-spread pressure across saddle, or worse, forcing the pressure into sensitive areas.

At least PowerMe is sore in the right places from the saddle.

I totally agree with you that building up and toughening up is going to be the most important step.

Selle Royal Drifter is installed on all my bikes. Very compliant springs with close to 2" travel very good gel padding and short nose. Really a good looking saddle and reasonably priced at 45 retail at local shops. Another indicator is that it sells out quick. Our local get it quick bike shop has a big selection of saddles with usually one of each already mounted with a stationary test bike right there to give it the all important butt sit test. Seats and posts can have some of the best ratings and specs but they are one of the most subjective components on your bike actually trying it out is the only way to find YOUR seat. Good luck in finding your right saddle and be sure to listen to the expert, your derriere.

Just adding my 2 cents... your sit bones will get a bit tougher. Just take it easy and you will adjust. Most of the pain you feel right now is just your body complaining about new things.

Assuming the *width* of your saddle matches your sit bones, the key is to take the weight off of your butt. Lower your handlebar, bend your elbows, keep your shoulders down and loose, and hold more weight with your hands and feet.

Just adding my 2 cents... your sit bones will get a bit tougher. Just take it easy and you will adjust. Most of the pain you feel right now is just your body complaining about new things.

Assuming the *width* of your saddle matches your sit bones, the key is to take the weight off of your butt. Lower your handlebar, bend your elbows, keep your shoulders down and loose, and hold more weight with your hands and feet.

Takes time to adjust ... Absolutely! there seems to be a solid consensus about that!

Put more weight on your shoulders and arms at our age? Not great advice...

Don't buy any new seat or suspension until you've given a chance to get into biking shape. Give it a month of riding.

You might feel better overall if you pedal in an easier gear and pedal faster, like 70 to 80 rpm.. Your legs will thank you!

Thanks for the advice!

Due to neck & back (and lately shoulder) issues I can't sit in a more aggressive position with more weight on my arms, so yes, I'll have to toughen up the tush.

The seat itself is comfortable; what's not comfortable is riding over the rough roads...railroad tracks, and other not smooth asphalt. I have the front suspension, but the big bumps from the road happen to be felt most in the derriere (and in my arms too). My butt will get used to it, though with the shoulder injury I fear I may need surgery for the rotator cuff as the pain hasn't gotten better since this started 8+ weeks ago. :(

I'll do shorter rides and build up more slowly. The gears I select feel the most comfortable for me -- good cadence, even pedaling, not struggling at all, but doing some real work pedaling, but not too much. I think I've got that piece dialed in pretty well.

Last edited:
Powerme,
1) Many report good results with the Thudbuster seat. I gave long consideration to going the Thudbuster route before deciding on going full suspension, and was one major reason why I ended up with the Jumper version. There are many reviews on the Thudbuster.
2) My experience on batteries was there seemed to be a slight gain in range after the first 5 to 10 rides. Similar results were reported on the Australian Whirlpool Forum. (Just indicating the thread with this link.)
You seem to be getting better range than I am, likely because you are on a more efficient model

Mike
Jumper 26"

An old trick to lessen the impact of a rough spot, pothole or railroad tracks is to lift yourself out of the seat, ever so slightly, letting the weight be in your feet on the pedals and then the bike will absorb the shock rather than you. It lets you flex your knees and ankles a bit so that the rest of your body doesn't have to take the whole shock. With a little practice, you'll feel like you're floating a bit more over the bumps rather than transmitting the whole force through your body. If your whole ride is ultra bumpy, then an adjustable seatpost can help. Realize that many of those suspension seatposts have an adjustment screw (hex type) on the bottom so you can dial in the amount of spring in the post.

The suspension seat post I would try, if I go this route, would be the Suntour model, as discussed on EBR several times, which is about half the cost of a Thudbuster and has received high ratings from EBR members. I even provided the link in an earlier post where the best deal can be had for this seatpost (XXcycle).

I have had a multiple seat posts, cheap "springy" to my current Body Float. I have not had the Suntour. I would say at least a Thudbuster, prefer the Float but I would not ditch a Thudbuster for a Float if you were happy w/it. The Suntour mechanism seems similar to the Thudbuster so I would consider them equal but personal preference. "Springy" better than nothing. My contact area hurts on all of them :), slightly different area and slightly less as price goes up. I believe I travel faster w/the Float. The Float oozes quality and refinement and most adjustable to position, still working to zero in adjustments. I ride paved trails but some are bumpy. There are so many variables, the bike, the position, terrain, time in the seat, the seat itself, etc.

Back