Looking for advice on 1st e-bike

Marchingman

Region
USA
I’m wanting to get some 1st hand knowledge and advice on the a few bikes that will fit my needs. Then I can find the closest source for test rides.

Needs/Wants:
  • Upright position
  • torque sensor
  • reputable company
  • high quality components
  • step-through
  • under $2000
  • 80% paved / 20% gravel
  • 2.5-3” tire for control and comfort (current ride is 2.5”)
  • fenders and rear rack
  • mainly flat with some rolling hills
This will be used for general recreation rides and trips to the store (30-40 miles tops).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:
The Juiced RipCurrent S Step-Through is on sale for a hundred above your budget and uses 26x4" tires and a big 19ah battery. The Magnum Pathfinder T uses 20x3" tires but is $500 over your budget. A stripped-down Electric Bike Company Model E with the torque sensor option comes in under budget, though it uses Schwalbe Fat Frank tires that are 26" or 24" x 2.35" so slightly narrower than you're used to, also you would pay $400 more for the larger battery.

Last edited:
I’m wanting to get some 1st hand knowledge and advice on the a few bikes that will fit my needs. Then I can find the closest source for test rides.

Needs/Wants:
  • Upright position
  • torque sensor
  • reputable company
  • step-through
  • under $2000
  • 80% paved / 20% gravel
  • fenders and rear rack
This will be used for general recreation rides and trips to the store (30-40 miles tops).

Maybe look at LBS shops who have older versions of Vado or Como . Don't make the mistake of buying cheap . Save some more money . You'll be glad you did . Or sell something .

Needs/Wants:
  • Upright position
  • torque sensor
  • reputable company
  • step-through
  • under $2000
  • 80% paved / 20% gravel
  • fenders and rear rack

Your price point may be an issue. You don’t mention how far you intend to ride. You should expect to put on smiles as you ride 2x-3x the distance you normally would ride on an acoustic bike. You just do. It is fun to explore. That said, you don’t want to run out of electrons.

The price differentiator among bikes you may be looking at will most likely be the size of the battery. The size of the battery is the primary variable cost for bikes of comparable features. My formula: more battery = more smiles.

One other note: My wife and I lead several biking groups. Unfortunately, we have breakdowns — and they are most always the “cheaper” bikes. So, if you can afford it, invest a bit more and get more miles, more years and more smiles. My 2 cents. Good luck with your purchase. You will have fun no matter what ebike you buy.

Is it correct to assume from your post that you intend to test drive a potential purchase from youre local LBS before you purchase?
Would it be correct to assume that you will not purchase a bike from an online vendor without first test driving it?

As others have stated, go to your LBS and buy a quality bike. Definitely test ride several before you buy. Save some more money, or finance a portion of it if you have to. A lot of bike shops offer 0% for 1 year financing, that’s a no brainer.

You want to get a bike that your shop will service, maintain and can get parts for. A used/traded-in bike is another option if it’s been taken care of and the battery life is still good.

Look at the Specialized Vado’s and Como’s.

Is it correct to assume from your post that you intend to test drive a potential purchase from youre local LBS before you purchase?
Would it be correct to assume that you will not purchase a bike from an online vendor without first test driving it?
Yes, I plan to test ride before buying. I need to get down to a few choices first as it will be a major travel commitment to get to the dealers.

The Specialized Como SL 4.0 is at 2400.00 in all sizes, might be worth a test ride to check it out
I appreciate the suggestion and that bike looks great! However, since this a gift from my family I must stick under 2k. Any other ideas?

Needs/Wants:
  • Upright position
  • torque sensor
  • reputable company
  • step-through
  • under $2000
  • 80% paved / 20% gravel
  • fenders and rear rack

I appreciate the suggestion and that bike looks great! However, since this a gift from my family I must stick under 2k. Any other ideas?
Tell your family the bike cost $1,999 and add a few $ of your own.
Also, read through EBR’s bike reviews.

Are you sure you want a step-thru? When my wife and I were E-bike shopping we were so close to buying the Comos (step thru) because I hadn’t ridden in years and my wife hadn’t ridden since she was a kid. The chick at the LBS talked us into the Vados and I’m really glad she did. We love them and meet up with friends once a week for a 25 mile ride.

Needs/Wants:
  • Upright position
  • torque sensor
  • reputable company
  • step-through
  • under $2000
  • 80% paved / 20% gravel
  • fenders and rear rack

I recommend you go through this list thoroughly. While it is not a perfect list, it's pretty comprehensive.

Are you sure you want a step-thru? When my wife and I were E-bike shopping we were so close to buying the Comos (step thru) because I hadn’t ridden in years and my wife hadn’t ridden since she was a kid. The chick at the LBS talked us into the Vados and I’m really glad she did. We love them and meet up with friends once a week for a 25 mile ride.
Riding experience maybe more related to geometry of bike than it being stepthrough or not. Vado are trekking bikes while Comos are cruisers with more upright position.

I found a used used Gazelle Ultimate C8 which I will be able to test ride tomorrow. Hopefully, you guys can provide some insight on this as a choice based on my needs listed in the OP. I know it’s not as wide a tire as I desired but, it seems to be a great value. EBR review was excellent.

If Gazelle is under 2yrs old you should still be covered by Bosch warranty, just make sure they privode the purchase receipts. Outside warranty budget on extra $1000 or new motor or battery. Neither of which are likely to fail but should allow for it in purchase.

With used bike I'd normally budget on new drive train but being IGH with belt not likely need changing anytime soon. Belts are good for 20-3000km. At which stage 500wh battery capacity is more like 300- 350wh.

IGH should be serviced every 5000kms (grease or oil change).

Back