Looking for input/advice on first e-bike

The are always a few factory directs that aren't junk... I've had my Espin a couple of years now, and except for a loose spoke and a brake bleed (which they quickly reimbursed me for having REI take care of), it's been a great bike. I consider myself a regular rider, when I'm well, though not normally a long distance rider.

The trick is stumbling across a decent factory direct - that is a real crap shoot! I was lucky 🍀🍀, though the experience of @AHicks and others here who have similar bikes helped me be comfortable taking the chance.
My Espin Sport is also still a great bike. No issues.

Oh? So show me an LBS willing to take on the job? For $1500 we get junk. And customers clueless as to the issues and real costs. But hey, WTF do I know…
My nearby LBS looked at my R1Up and said it looked good quality. They said no problem working on it. R1Up has 3 models under $1500 (mine's currently listed at $1700 though). Besides, many owners are handy enough to do their own repairs... they even can do a lot of fixing on a cheap ebike like a Lectric or (God forbid) a Jetson. :p Point is, there are always exceptions.

Jeez, can't we just leave it at the fact there are different option that will work for you, and skip the piece about how why the option I just exercised is the best for everyone?

Pardon the grouchy moment please.... -Al

The trick is stumbling across a decent factory direct - that is a real crap shoot! I was lucky 🍀🍀, though the experience of @AHicks and others here who have similar bikes helped me be comfortable taking the chance.
Has nothing to do with tricks or luck, there are plenty of factory direct companies who offer fantastic bikes and it only requires one take the time to do a little research on a company before they buy.
My only advice to the OP is simple, you said you live in a hilly area so i suggest you look into a middrive.
I live in a hilly area and i still ride my hub bike all the time but there are certain hills that it just does not like lol, my middrives handle any hill i have come across just fine. This advice has nothing to do with me pushing what i prefer trust me, if you said you lived in a flat area i would have never mentioned middrives but..

Last edited:
Back