If you already own an e-bike, are you considering another?

If you are a current e-bike owner, what are you considering for the future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Over50

I've been one to follow this forum and other sources and I always try to keep a running list of brand/model changes that interest me or technology changes. I get pretty enthused this time of year as we head into Interbike (no more) and Eurobike. I am considering a new bike for next commuting season which could mean a year-end purchase in 2019 or early 2020. Here is my list and I'd be curious to read yours.

1. I've been eyeing high-end, flat bar touring bikes (non electric) for years now. But until I get closer to retirement (turning 54 soon), I'm probably not purchasing a touring bike anytime soon.

2. If there were some really good bargains for model-year closeout, I'd consider grabbing one of these "old technology" Bosch-powered bikes:
Haibike SDuro Trekking 9.0 S
R&M Tinker
Moustache Friday or X-Road FS

3. But part of me wants to try new things so this is my real "short-list" and most probable targets for a purchase early next year. But I'm sure something new and cool could come out of Eurobike to cause me to change my list:

a. Full suspension? I've never ridden a full suspension bike and I wonder if it could improve commuting: so maybe a R&M Delite with the new Bosch technology is my next bike (not sure when this comes out)...
b. Breaking the "obvious" e-bike mold and relying more on my own power? The real cat's meow for me would be a Desiknio Pinion variant (probably 6 speed). I'd add rack, fenders, lighting, suspension stem and seatpost if possible. Per their configurator, they offer an optional water bottle battery to increase capacity from the minimalist 250 WH stock battery.

I already own 3 ebikes (well, 2 bikes and one trike) for 2 people. They all work great and serve our purpose, so another ebike is the last thing I need. That said, that Evelo Aurora Limited Edition looks pretty sweet. So far I have been successful in talking myself out of it.

There is always a next bike.

Right now, I'm thinking pretty seriously about getting a Bike Friday, probably a Diamond Llama with a Rohloff Hub. That bike solves a couple of specific problems that the R&M Charger does not:
  • Taking the Charger on public transportation, whether by bus, train, or plane, is at best problematic and at worst flat-out impossible.
  • Having a bike I can take with me when I visit the city and can easily take with me into a store rather than stress about securing it.
  • There are some bicycle tours I'd like to do where the e-bike is at best a liability and at worst forces rather contrived routing changes.
For long-haul adventure riding, one day I'd like to own a Co-Motion Siskiyou.

Down the road, if I were to replace the Charger I'd like to get my hands on a 20mph Kogo E-World Traveler. I understand they sell a dual-battery version.

I already own 6, I always consider getting another 1

Six! That’s great. Do you follow the n+1 rule? Where n is the number of ebikes you already have?
Or how about x-1, where x is the amount of ebikes that causes your spouse/partner to leave you.

At this point, my answer's no.
With the surprise reintroduction of my original 1992 long-forgotten and long-unridden Bianchi 21-speed (which fills the critical role of "back-up" bike if/when the ebike goes out of service for any length of time) I'm at two bikes total; that seems enough for me. (Certainly any more and I'd face some storage-space challenges.)
Having a back-up bike was important after July, when the ebike went out of commission for 24 days, wrecking my plans for reaching my highest-mileage summer. (The outage was compounded by waiting on parts then waiting on shop schedule.) I didn't want to lose out on a prime biking month like that again, and had just started window-shopping a new bike when I learned I still owned the Bianchi. Turns out it is an enjoyable ride of its own, and I'll be mixing rides on both bikes going forward.
So, these two bikes now should see me through just about anything, for some time to come!
That said -- if and when the time comes that the current ebike must be replaced, I will be certainly entertaining suspension next time around!

At this point, my answer's no.
With the surprise reintroduction of my original 1992 long-forgotten and long-unridden Bianchi 21-speed (which fills the critical role of "back-up" bike if/when the ebike goes out of service for any length of time) I'm at two bikes total; that seems enough for me. (Certainly any more and I'd face some storage-space challenges.)
Having a back-up bike was important after July, when the ebike went out of commission for 24 days, wrecking my plans for reaching my highest-mileage summer. (The outage was compounded by waiting on parts then waiting on shop schedule.) I didn't want to lose out on a prime biking month like that again, and had just started window-shopping a new bike when I learned I still owned the Bianchi. Turns out it is an enjoyable ride of its own, and I'll be mixing rides on both bikes going forward.
So, these two bikes now should see me through just about anything, for some time to come!
That said -- if and when the time comes that the current ebike must be replaced, I will be certainly entertaining suspension next time around!
Happy Birthday ChristoB

Six! That’s great. Do you follow the n+1 rule? Where n is the number of ebikes you already have?
Or how about x-1, where x is the amount of ebikes that causes your spouse/partner to leave you.
I'm 66, and my wife of 46 years and I have a basic agreement. I don't complain about her going on a European river cruise with her girl friends every other year, and she doesn't complain about my eBikes. The two adult kids kinda wince sometimes when they think about where their possible inheritance is going though. LOL On a side note, I spent $500 on my first and $750 on my second. Both Craigslist finds, Sondors Fat Bikes. Put 1,700 miles on #1 without an issue. Then stepped up the money quite a bit with Haibikes, and stepped up even more with a Ruffian on #6. Who knows what the next one will cost!

Yes I would like to add a R+M Load but only with lottery winnings. Also I would replace my Charger with a smaller frame. The one I have is slighty too large for me. Since I always carry 2-3 batteries I would consider a Delite but I love my Charger for touring. While we are fantasizing about more bikes, toss me in a Norco Sight VLT1. I need this because I live at the feet of Burke and Eagle mtns. Both mountains are loaded with downhill singletracks like this , most of which I no longer have the motor skills to attempt. This is a blue run ,but for me it would be a double black diamond..

Last edited:
Currently I have 3 ebikes.

Bulls Evo 3 27.5+ - First ebike, lots of fun, incredibly versatile and largeish 650wh battery. Wish it was more than 20mph but its a pretty minor point. Fantastic for all the current legal offroad trails in my immediate vicinity

Juiced CCX - Second ebike, wanted something fast(class 3+) with alot of range and the CCX delivers. Use it more like a gravel bike or when I just want to go fast.

iZip Moda E3 - Really didnt need it but it was such a good deal for a Brose Motor class 3 at $2400. Fun/light/nimble 27.5 bike. Feels the most like a regular bike and is the most stealthy. Not the best range with the 500wh battery so I dont use it for that. Mostly use it as a gravel bike for rides 30 miles or less (I have done 40 mile rides and figure I could get in a 60 mile ride in eco but that isnt much fun IMHO)

If they open up more offroad MTB trails in my area I will likely buy a full suspension ebike. I have been on the fence on just buying a full suspension acoustic bike in the last few weeks but would MUCH prefer an ebike.

4 ebikes would be too many, I would likely sell the CCX. While I appreciate the CCX speed, the Moda while not as fast is just more pleasant to ride. While I appreciate the CCX range, I really dont like more than about 2 hours in the saddle.

Last edited:
I've been one to follow this forum and other sources and I always try to keep a running list of brand/model changes that interest me or technology changes...
2. If there were some really good bargains for model-year closeout, I'd consider grabbing one of these "old technology" Bosch-powered bikes:
Haibike SDuro Trekking 9.0 S
R&M Tinker
Moustache Friday or X-Road FS

3. But part of me wants to try new things so this is my real "short-list" and most probable targets for a purchase early next year. But I'm sure something new and cool could come out of Eurobike to cause me to change my list:

a. Full suspension? I've never ridden a full suspension bike and I wonder if it could improve commuting: so maybe a R&M Delite with the new Bosch technology is my next bike (not sure when this comes out)...
b. Breaking the "obvious" e-bike mold and relying more on my own power? The real cat's meow for me would be a Desiknio Pinion variant (probably 6 speed). I'd add rack, fenders, lighting, suspension stem and seatpost if possible. Per their configurator, they offer an optional water bottle battery to increase capacity from the minimalist 250 WH stock battery...

I don't know if this is breaking the mold but I've added the new Trek Allant+ 9 to the list . Perhaps breaking the mold because I've never owned/ridden a carbon frame bike before. But on the one hand, it is still a Bosch bike (usually has drag, not exactly stealth e-bikes...) but on the other hand it is the new motor and the bike is in the 40 pound range. So maybe expanding the mold a bit ? And, I sent an email inquiry to Fully Charged in the UK a little over a week ago about the Desiknio and I've had no response as of yet ... so owning a Desiknio in the USA is not looking to be a viable option at this point ...

.................... You need your head examined 😂

{just kidding}

Absolutly ! Of Course !
I would enjoy a "Different Purposed" ebike in addition.

I’m doing two more builds. I’ve now built a complete cross section of motor locations. My latest is a folding bike with a 250W mid drive. I’m finding that a 18mph very efficient folding bike is my best choice for a traveling eBike. I’ll keep my front drive DD for groceries, and a backup TSDZ2 to share with visitors. This stuff is my crack. Without being a social pariah.

I bought a Rad City that I love dearly. After riding it for a few weeks, I found I was NOT in love with the locked out controller attributes, mostly due to the "soft start". When I tell the bike to go, I want it to GO. From the factory, you had to anticipate required power changes for pete's sake. I found it dangerous to cross a busy road for instance! Anyway, rather than replacing the bike, I installed a very economical aftermarket "kit" on it, one using a little higher quality electronics. The kit replaced the electrical and electronics with something I knew I could configure to my tastes. While I was at it, I replaced the stock 750w DD motor with one twice that size. The only thing I used over again was the battery. Loved it. Rode it for a year like that.

Then I started thinking about/researching a geared rear hub for their additional grunt available in the under 20 mph speed range I nearly always find myself in. Kept reading about the MAC motors and the different windings they have available for different purposes. Enter the MAC 12t, with the maximum amount of low end grunt they have available. That was installed on the Rad City just recently. Now, for my purposes, the City checks the entire list of boxes I have listed for the perfect bike - for my purposes.

Now, totally spoiled as I am, when I find something I can't live without, a new box I will not be able to check using the Rad City as a foundation, then I would not hesitate to buy another bike that checks ALL of the boxes. -Al

My Priority Embark suits my needs as a car alternative for errands, grocery shopping, going out to meet friends, etc. I also have a non-electric mountain bike for exercise and enjoyment of the trails. I anticipate that in another few years, as I approach 60, I will look for an e-mtb to allow me to continue to ride. By then I hope there will be some significantly lighter options, as well as a more enlightened approach to allowing e-bikes on mountain trails.

Who doesn't want another ebike after riding one. If I could afford it, I would have 3 or 4 ebikes all with different purposes.
It seems like no matter what I have I start hunting for another one.I'm trying real hard to not buy a 2nd ebike.

Back