If you already own an e-bike, are you considering another?

If you are a current e-bike owner, what are you considering for the future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a Gazelle Arroyo and find that it does well on dirt and gravel roads; far better on gravel roads than the road bike I used to have.

Really? I am ignorant in such things. Do I need to change the tires that came with it? I did take it on a not quite paved road that is quite bumpy and it did OK.

I am learning new things about it as I go.

I have 2 and riding them has really helped me pinpoint all the things i actually need in a bike,so of course i must add a 3rd because now i have the experience to choose the ideal bike for me! lol I'm not against BSing myself.

I've been one to follow this forum and other sources and I always try to keep a running list of brand/model changes that interest me or technology changes. I get pretty enthused this time of year as we head into Interbike (no more) and Eurobike. I am considering a new bike for next commuting season which could mean a year-end purchase in 2019 or early 2020. Here is my list and I'd be curious to read yours.

1. I've been eyeing high-end, flat bar touring bikes (non electric) for years now. But until I get closer to retirement (turning 54 soon), I'm probably not purchasing a touring bike anytime soon.

2. If there were some really good bargains for model-year closeout, I'd consider grabbing one of these "old technology" Bosch-powered bikes:
Haibike SDuro Trekking 9.0 S
R&M Tinker
Moustache Friday or X-Road FS

3. But part of me wants to try new things so this is my real "short-list" and most probable targets for a purchase early next year. But I'm sure something new and cool could come out of Eurobike to cause me to change my list:

a. Full suspension? I've never ridden a full suspension bike and I wonder if it could improve commuting: so maybe a R&M Delite with the new Bosch technology is my next bike (not sure when this comes out)...
b. Breaking the "obvious" e-bike mold and relying more on my own power? The real cat's meow for me would be a Desiknio Pinion variant (probably 6 speed). I'd add rack, fenders, lighting, suspension stem and seatpost if possible. Per their configurator, they offer an optional water bottle battery to increase capacity from the minimalist 250 WH stock battery.

Have you seen the the Enki Cycles ss commuter? In line with the sexy Desiknio lines but not as expensive. They claim to be stronger than the Bosch CX.

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 840
Have you seen the the Enki Cycles ss commuter? In line with the sexy Desiknio lines but not as expensive. They claim to be stronger than the Bosch CX.

The Enki is a pretty bike for sure. The only Desiknio I would consider would be one of the Pinion versions. No single speeds for me. I want my gears. Maybe Enki will follow up with something with an IGH then, at least for me, I'd consider it a competitor.

The Enki is a pretty bike for sure. The only Desiknio I would consider would be one of the Pinion versions. No single speeds for me. I want my gears. Maybe Enki will follow up with something with an IGH then, at least for me, I'd consider it a competitor.
Totally valid. The Pinion is definitely a strong pull for me too. The only reason i'm considering enki is because I currently ride a single speed non-ebike and it's fine because I don't have any major hills to and from work.

I bought a 2nd geared hub motor/controller/throttle before the great tariff increase. MAC 12 from Luna. I'm going to put it on a tandem I will only ride when I'm picking up a helper. I need help repairing transmission on a 45 hp tractor. I'm not as strong in the arms as I was when I was age 55, but know just as much. There is man living 6 miles from my summer camp that is mechanically competent, strong, unemployed, no car, and won't ride a bicycle due to asthma. His mother quit giving him rides to work due to her health. I don't run a car anymore, I don't drive enough to wear a car out by the time the check engine disease totals it (about 10 yr?). If I go pick him up on an electric bicycle he might come help me for $15/hr. I don't want to pedal 450 lb up those hills out there without help, although none are worse than about 8%. The Colombia tandem I own is only a 5 speed anyway. I'm not going to buy a second battery, but the tandem will serve an entirely different purpose than the cargo bike left with an ebikeling motor.

Totally valid. The Pinion is definitely a strong pull for me too. The only reason i'm considering enki is because I currently ride a single speed non-ebike and it's fine because I don't have any major hills to and from work.
I found myself riding my IGH conversion in a constant third gear. So deciding on a one speed new build made absolute sense. 20MPH-28MPH depending on which battery I run, 36V, 48V or 52V. Controller handles all three.

I found myself riding my IGH conversion in a constant third gear. So deciding on a one speed new build made absolute sense. 20MPH-28MPH depending on which battery I run, 36V, 48V or 52V. Controller handles all three.
My thoughts exactly. If the gearing can be tuned for my general riding conditions, I don't think I'll find myself needing multiple gears. *fingers crossed*

My thoughts exactly. If the gearing can be tuned for my general riding conditions, I don't think I'll find myself needing multiple gears. *fingers crossed*
Perhaps you can replicate your current gearing.

Perhaps you can replicate your current gearing.
Even if it's not exact, I'm hoping it could be quite close. Does anyone know if the Gates system is the same as your standard chain sprocket? i.e 20 gates = 20 tooth standard chain? I've never had to change a gates belt gearing setup before.

Back