I am finding it too hot to ride

Sounds like Lytton burned up last night. It was evacuated.

We cooled down to 117 yesterday. My thermometer said 119 on Tuesday. Got up this morning to go for a walk but it had only cooled off to 82. I turned the AC back on instead. My garden is a pain to keep alive in this.

Needless to say, no bike riding here.
I would have ridden in 82 in the morning - that's fine, especially early morning when the sun is lower in the sky. It was raining here again yesterday, so I missed another day of riding. Supposed to be low 80's this afternoon and not raining, so I should be able to get out and ride again.

Heatstroke can kill
If you stop sweating, turn red, & start to shivver , that´s heat stroke. Without immediate counter measures
your a goner. Luckily, here on the Olympic Peninsula things have cooled quite a bit. Hope it will do so in B.C.

Last edited:
Absolutely true. The idea is (was) laughable. Who the heck needs air conditioning in the maritime Pacific NW?? However, if you live in a forest of concrete with rivers of asphalt running through it, there is no respite from the heat. I feel sorry for city dwellers and people stuck in traffic.

Me, I built a strawbale house in real forest. Yesterday, it was 94 in the shade outside, 101 in the sun, but 75 inside my house, with no air conditioning, thanks to two ft thick walls.
My mid century but well insulated house is also 75 degrees inside, but it takes a lot of my electricty to maintain it.

Fun fact: that is the highest temperature recorded anywhere north of 45 degrees north latitude.

Another fun fact: the summit of Mount Rainier (14410 feet) recorded a high temperature of 63 degrees. Freezing levels were approximately 18000 feet.

Not so fun fact: as @Cowlitz noted, Lytton was burnt over last night and the town appears to be substantially destroyed.

The good news it appears it will be cooling off with nighttime lows below 60 and highs around 95.
Another like that really means SAD.

Riding in the heat differs greatly later in the day when the radiation absorbed by the pavement starts to go back into the air. I made the mistake after many miles of running cross country in the southern deserts of California of riding my bike from Pasadena to Palm Springs and came close to having heat stroke with the heat coming off the asphalt. Riding off the pavement is a better place when it is very hot.

Humidity also plays a role as it impacts how effectively the body can cool itself with perspiration. In Dallas I could not ride nearly as far and I could tell that my body core temp was getting dangerously high. A Dallas native actually died from heat stroke while runing in a trial race for the Olympic marathon.

An old racer's trick is to put a section of lettuce under cap but I have instead used a cotton cap that I soak with water from a water bottle and have it under my helmet and it seems to help. A sponge might also work but better to ride at night which is what I did when I lived in southern California - also a lot less road traffic at night. I would ride where there were bright street lights and so I could see any broken glass or other debris in the road.

Now I live along the central California coast and the high temperture yesterday was 69 degrees Farenheit or 20 degrees Celsius. Hotest temperatures in my area are in September when it gets up to 72 degrees on average. This is a large part of why I choose to live in Monterey.

My mid century but well insulated house is also 75 degrees inside, but it takes a lot of my electricty to maintain it.
Mines fairly well insulated as well and living in mid coast Maine it used to be quite rare to need any AC. Two years ago I had heat pumps installed to heat my home. The cost of use is actually only a little higher than wood heat and much less than gas or oil. With this heat I'm sure glad I went that way as they can also cool my house. Don't need them often but they were sure nice the last couple of days. Today is better so won't need them.

I haven’t ridden since Monday due to the heat dome still lingering over the province. Our vegetable plots still need to be watered though and they seem to be fairing well in the heat. Reprieve in the form of rain is expected to arrive tomorrow. 🥵
IMG_20210626_1003030.jpg

I haven’t ridden since Monday due to the heat dome still lingering over the province. Our vegetable plots still need to be watered though and they seem to be fairing well in the heat. Reprieve in the form of rain is expected to arrive tomorrow. 🥵
View attachment 91927
Well, the garden looks fine .

Ontario is covered by heat warnings, and much of southern Ontario, including Toronto, is subject to weather statements warning of hot and humid weather. Humidex values near 40C / 104F.

Even so riding my Ebike with little effort is nice with the breeze I create as I can ride fast.

I've been putting ice packs in my panniers for grocery runs.
COOLER PACK.jpg

Weird. It is 105 here in the Okanogan Valley at my house. Up to the NE, in what is called the Okanogan Highlands, it is raining in places.

Spelling Trivia: When spelled Okanogan, it is in the U.S. When spelled Okanagan, it is in Canada. Same river, different spellings.

Our hearts go out to the residents of Lytton as they grapple with the tragic loss of their town. It’s devastating to continue to see scenes of the fire as it continues to grow in size. :(

1 more observation about hot rides I noticed, 3 of my spoke nipples seemed to have loosened
up, one to the point of being swallowed by the rim.

Last edited:
Mines fairly well insulated as well and living in mid coast Maine it used to be quite rare to need any AC. Two years ago I had heat pumps installed to heat my home. The cost of use is actually only a little higher than wood heat and much less than gas or oil. With this heat I'm sure glad I went that way as they can also cool my house. Don't need them often but they were sure nice the last couple of days. Today is better so won't need them.
Re: wood heat. In "shoulder seasons" I think my heat pump is cheaper than my wood stove b/c I buy firewood allready bucked and split most of the time. But my wood stove burns 24/7 all winter , and is much more comfortable.

Re: wood heat. In "shoulder seasons" I think my heat pump is cheaper than my wood stove b/c I buy firewood allready bucked and split most of the time. But my wood stove burns 24/7 all winter , and is much more comfortable.
I have to admit I do like my woodstove which is a 1970's Vermont Castings Vigilant but I now only use it during the coldest part of the winter. One thing I used to do is care taking a few summer homes in my area which often included dealing with trees that had blown down in storms. Got paid to cut them up and haul them away which gave me free firewood as a bonus. Now I need to buy my wood. I just checked the comparison again and indeed heat pumps can be less than firewood but only the geothermal type and mine is the ductless one. Here's a link to the new Maine comparison.

My stove is a small soapstone that holds heat and coals overnight, but my heat pump is like yours (geothermals are rare and expensive here), The cost is paying someone whose back still works to buck and split the wood. Luckily I only need a few cords per year.

My stove is a small soapstone that holds heat and coals overnight, but my heat pump is like yours (geothermals are rare and expensive here), The cost is paying someone whose back still works to buck and split the wood. Luckily I only need a few cords per year.
I get that. I would cut the trees up on site and haul 16" lengths home and pile them up in the back yard. About once every year or two I'd rent a splitter for the weekend and have at it. Got to admit I was pretty sore for a couple days after and don't really miss doing that.

I used to participate in group night rides in San Francisco and in Pasadena in California and with the ongoing global warming it seems like something to resurrect. We did it before at night as all the cars and delivery trucks were off the streets then and so we had no problems with taking an entire lane which was also much safer for the riders.

Back