I am finding it too hot to ride

For the most part people here are talking about outside ambient air temperature. There’s a large swath of the PNW where many conventional small aircraft can’t fly right now - that’s never been the case ever.
Why are small planes grounded from heat? This is new to me. We should go /offtopic , this is a riding only thread

Last edited:
Reduced lift for the wings, I believe. We for sure have a few people here who can actually explain that. Density of the air?

Why are small planes grounded from heat? This is new to me. We should go /offtopic , this is a riding only thread
2 reasons really - 1.) Most internal combustion engines on smaller aircraft have carburetors, we call “normally aspirated”. The air gets “thinner” (less dense) at higher temperatures, reducing the amount of oxygen in the fuel/air mixture, thus reducing the power and resulting in longer takeoff distances. 2.) Low air density reduces the lift performance of the wings. Of course even turbojet & turbofan engines suffer from these inefficiencies but not as pronounced. Combined together these make it unsafe at certain airfield altitudes and temperatures. In a lot of cases 46.6° is way off the chart for the published operating envelope, effectively grounding the aircraft.

Note - my other recreational vehicle is a tricycle haha!

Attachments

• A542C5A3-7192-44B1-9779-2FA79C298819.jpeg
    A542C5A3-7192-44B1-9779-2FA79C298819.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
2 reasons really - 1.) Most internal combustion engines on smaller aircraft have carburetors, we call “normally aspirated”. The air gets “thinner” (less dense) at higher temperatures, reducing the amount of oxygen in the fuel/air mixture, thus reducing the power and resulting in longer takeoff distances. 2.) Low air density reduces the lift performance of the wings. Of course even turbojet & turbofan engines suffer from these inefficiencies but not as pronounced. Combined together these make it unsafe at certain airfield altitudes and temperatures. In a lot of cases 46.6° is way off the chart for the published operating envelope, effectively grounding the aircraft.

Note - my other recreational vehicle is a tricycle haha!
A cool thing about EBR is that someone that actually knows what they are talking about will often chime in, Thanks @VoltMan99. @Marci jo and @Tomster also fly small planes, IIRC. Certainly others ride regularly but don't pilot .

For the most part people here are talking about outside ambient air temperature. There’s a large swath of the PNW where many conventional small aircraft can’t fly right now - that’s never been the case ever.
Most but not all, and it can make a very big difference. Also, the morning temperature just before sunrise may be better for riding if it's an option. For example, Medford, OR shows it got to 115 degrees, but it's only 72 as I post this. I actually prefer it warmer than that for riding. lol I wasn't referring to aircraft.

Pretty hot here today at the mid coast Maine area. Just got back from my ride. Almost noon and 94F and climbing. My attached garage is very well insulated and stays cool all summer from the concrete slab it sits on. This morning when I wheeled the bike outside it got damp all over within about 10 seconds. I couldn't read my display or see in the rear view for the first 1/8 mile or so. That was a first. There's a park just a few miles away that runs along the edge of the north Atlantic. It felt like someone had turned on the AC when I got there. Still a great ride and not too sweaty when I got home.

Today, tomorrow, and likely Tuesday, are too hot for my asthmatic senior butt to be on my bike (contemplating trying a ride really early tomorrow morning, but probably won't) 🚳. And, to think I came home from NC for this 😱!
My issue is not what the heat does to me, but what it does to my tires. Hot asphalt softens the rubber
til yur skidding on turns. Tire pressure becomes a critical matter. Too much expansion ,& pop! Too little
,& sidewalls turn to mush. The Chinese say movement overcomes cold; keeping still overcomes heat.
Getting heat stroke can sneak up on you before you know it. Look up the symptoms & the ways
to treat & avoid.

My issue is not what the heat does to me, but what it does to my tires. Hot asphalt softens the rubber
til yur skidding on turns. Tire pressure becomes a critical matter. Too much expansion ,& pop! Too little
,& sidewalls turn to mush. The Chinese say movement overcomes cold; keeping still overcomes heat.
Getting heat stroke can sneak up on you before you know it. Look up the symptoms & the ways
to treat & avoid.
you need better tires mine handed the 156 degree asphalt.

More than 15 all-time high temperature records were broken in the Pacific Northwest on Sunday alone. And the heat is expected to continue ...

you need better tires mine handed the 156 degree asphalt.
So did mine up to a point; at $46 a piece they´re very good tires I´ve used on other bikes for years.
At that price I didn´t want to risk ruining them. Today has been much cooler thankfully. Almost 3 pm,
therm holding steady at 80.

Just wow. And all that heat energy can make a monster storm when the temperature drops. I don't think I'd go for a ride too soon.

All time Canadian record of 49.4 was just set this afternoon in Lytton, in the Fraser Canyon.
Thats 121 F.
Sounds like Lytton burned up last night. It was evacuated.

We cooled down to 117 yesterday. My thermometer said 119 on Tuesday. Got up this morning to go for a walk but it had only cooled off to 82. I turned the AC back on instead. My garden is a pain to keep alive in this.

Needless to say, no bike riding here.

All time Canadian record of 49.4 was just set this afternoon in Lytton, in the Fraser Canyon.
Thats 121 F.
Fun fact: that is the highest temperature recorded anywhere north of 45 degrees north latitude.

Another fun fact: the summit of Mount Rainier (14410 feet) recorded a high temperature of 63 degrees. Freezing levels were approximately 18000 feet.

Not so fun fact: as @Cowlitz noted, Lytton was burnt over last night and the town appears to be substantially destroyed.

The good news it appears it will be cooling off with nighttime lows below 60 and highs around 95.

Back