How Many Have Received Fines for Class 3?

Scarecrow

As I'm researching ebikes, the subject of "legality" keeps coming up. But how many of you have actually ever received a fine for running faster than 20mph here in the USA? Or is there more to it than that? As in, do local laws allow the Police or Park Police to confiscate your ebike?

I understand the warnings about accidents and civil liabilities. But can the authorities that police this sort of thing actually tell you are riding a Class 3 vs. a "legal" ebike? And how do they treat those models that can lock out those illegal modes?

Had a city officer follow me on my 10 mile evening ride the other night. I run right up against the posted speed limit of 30mph, even doing a large radius turn at 28mph. No issues. I ride at 20-23 all the time on the multi-use trail, until I come up on walkers. I stop pedaling and coast by them around 14-15mph, then back up to speed. No issues there either. I ride a class 3 Haibike.

My "class 2" labeled bike goes up to 24.9 mph. I rarely use assist above 20mph, but I ride similarly to @rich c in that on multi-use trails if it's just li'l old me, I ride faster, and when I see pedestrians, I coast down to a pedestrian friendly speed, often around 12mph or even slower depending on how many folks there are walking on the path. If it's super crowded, I sometimes walk my bike through the crowded part.

Nobody has ever complained. I've never seen a police officer paying a bit of attention to cyclists.

Understood. That's what I was curious about. Does anyone really police these speed issues? Some of the reviews almost scare you away from the faster bikes, but I'm wondering if it's a true "threat" to enjoying them.

Understood. That's what I was curious about. Does anyone really police these speed issues? Some of the reviews almost scare you away from the faster bikes, but I'm wondering if it's a true "threat" to enjoying them.
We'll see if anyone has had issues in Federal Parks. Way different situations where they post signs on trails for no eBikes. I'm doubtful if any officers in Peoria, IL even have the slightest idea what an eBike is.

"No ebikes on this trail" is an understandable and easily observable violation. Like "no motor vehicles allowed". But the stealthier part of their use - higher speeds and larger motors, where otherwise allowed - is my concern. Would I be just asking for trouble by buying one of the "ultra" bikes, or missing out on a lot of advantages unnecessarily.

Honestly, Scarecrow, I think a lot of the discussions of legality you refer to are people overthinking it. Most laws on the books - of any kind - are enforced on a complaint-only basis. Police aren't going around looking for this stuff, they've got enough to do already.

I heard an IRS agent talking about his job once. He said it was like being a cop at an intersection with a bank on each corner and bank robberies in all four. "You just pick the one you're going to handle and the rest get away with it."

How much is a cop going to want to stop an ebike, look at the sticker, and determine whether it was being used within the rules for its class?

That's what calculus is for: determining amounts that approach zero.

Those who don't analyze things to death are just out there being good citizens, respectful to pedestrians and other vehicles, and feeling the joy of riding an ebike.

My bike came with a "CA class 3" sticker on it, which I quickly removed. I am honestly not sure how someone could tell my bike is a class 3 now, unless they looked up my bike or motor specifications online.

Since road cyclists can go over 20mph, and I usually cruise at about 21-23 mph on bike paths, I don't see it being an issue, and so far it hasn't been. At most I would expect a speeding ticket of some kind, but I honestly doubt that will happen.

IMO for the vast majority of people no one cares as long as you aren't a jerk. There are small pockets where people think they have to control everything you do but they are small pockets. You might run into issues on Federal posted trails but again, not an issue for most.

In my miles so far (about 2,300 this year, on paved multi-use trails and some roadway use) I've never once seen police or park rangers present. The only time I saw law enforcement was at a 3-way stop sign (on a stretch of park-surrounded roadway very popular with cyclists in DC, due to it having extremely light car traffic always) -- and he was pulling over the cyclists who didn't stop for the stop sign! (hehehe--Hallelujah!)

I could hit 28 assisted MPH with my class 3 -- though frankly going north of ~24mph becomes intimidating for me, as I can only think "if I wreck at this speed for whatever reason, it won't be pretty, with only a helmet and padded gloves for protections!" I just feel like any little obstacle in the trail, a divet, root buckle, misplaced rock or branch, wet patch -- all become far more ominous threats!

I do hit peaks (exclusively on larger downhill runs) that can be 25 - 29mph for a brief period; but my normal cruising speed on flats, absent pedestrians, is typically in the 15 - 20mph range probably, and 10 - 15 if the trail is more crowded.

And yes, many of the lycra/full-tuck pedal-cyclists still blow past me regularly, when I'm zipping along at 18 - 20.

If I imagine a law enforcement encounter taking place with me on my ebike, it seems far more likely (and even then, probably not very likely) if I was riding the ebike where they are prohibited (such as the C&O Canal Towpath near me) -- vs an encounter because I was found to be going above a 20mph class 2 limit. Because pedal-cyclists can easily exceed 20mph by themselves, it (to my eyes) becomes very hard to say "that ebiker is going too fast at 23, but that pedal-cyclist he's matching is ok at 23"...

My bikes are all too old for for stickers but if i were to buy now i would look for a class 2 bike and and make sure you could get a speed hack for that model that seems to be the best way to not advertise your real speed

Ironically my max speed is lower on my ebike than my non-powered one (since I have a direct-drive, it starts to be a large drag when I get above 20). On my old human-powered commuter bike I would sometimes trigger a flashing radar warning > 25mph on one hill on my commuter route if I didn't actively brake.

I've not had my ebike long enough to give a meaningful answer to your question, sorry.

Before I purchased an E-bike, I started asking around bike (multi-use) trails if there was any enforcement after seeing the 'No Motorized Vehicles' sign posted on most trails. I also had a chance to talk to a local enforcement ranger and see what his take was on the issue. He did indicate that he would give a rider a ticket or violation. Well, 2,500 miles later on the same trails, and I yet to ever see any enforcement of any kind. Since then, the growing number of E-bikes on the trails has grown a bit as well. When we see officers on their police bikes, they usually give us a friendly nod and keep riding. Not a concern in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Many of my trails have that "no motorized" sign... I figure if ever pressed, I'll argue that mine is a pedal-assist bike, without any throttle, and it would be hard to prove I was "motoring" (vs actively human-powering, with or without assist) at the time...

However, the trails I ride are increasingly full of folks riding on the stand-up electric scooters, electric skateboards, and those electric uni-wheel devices... there's certainly no possibility of arguing that you were using any human power on those... (But as you say, there's never any enforcement personnel out -- which is fine by me, because I'd say they have far bigger fish to fry...)

I think it's clear that the current US regulations on eBikes will be changed - the current system is essentially impossible to enforce (especially the idea of stating a motor can be no more than 750W which is nebulous at best). They should just enforce a maximum system power of say 3,000 watts (this will allow decent cargo ebikes and special needs bikes to be made legitamate while allowing urban commuters enough power to say cruise at 35mph on road side bike lanes where speed limits are posted for cars that fast or faster. The regulations should be on the use of the eBike not on it's assist speed or the a motor spec that any engineer can tell you is meritless legislation.

I have encountered several trail police officers who observed my bike, recognized it as electric and the proceeded to ignore me. I think if you ride conscientiously you are good.

I think it's clear that the current US regulations on eBikes will be changed - the current system is essentially impossible to enforce (especially the idea of stating a motor can be no more than 750W which is nebulous at best). They should just enforce a maximum system power of say 3,000 watts (this will allow decent cargo ebikes and special needs bikes to be made legitamate while allowing urban commuters enough power to say cruise at 35mph on road side bike lanes where speed limits are posted for cars that fast or faster.
I'm sorry, but going 35mph in a bike lane/path is irresponsible and dangerous. If one has an ebike capable of that sustained speed then one should just drive in an auto lane, like a scooter. The whole point of creating those bike lanes was to give bicyclists a safe place to go at human-powered types of speeds without the threat of getting overtaken by powered vehicles going at much higher speeds. IMHO. The reason that these paths & lines prohibit powered vehicles like scooters is not because of some inherent bias against petrol engines, but because their higher speeds prompt safety concerns.

For anyone out there that currently does this, or is thinking about getting a bike that can do it in the future, please reconsider. This thread is full of people reporting that ebikes are currently being tolerated even on paths that have signage ostensibly prohibiting them. I suspect it is because the vast majority of people have class II bikes and are traveling at speeds that many human-powered bikes already go, so it hasn't created any issues. But if enough cowboys go out there traveling at speeds equal to or higher than even cars can go on residential streets, it's only a matter of time before they ruin it for the rest of us. You are right that the current regulations are virtually possible to enforce. But where I think you are wrong is assuming this means regulations will just be removed completely. More likely, if & when this ever becomes a pressing issue, the impossibility of enforcing class II will be "solved" by going the other way: just completely banning ebikes without exception on some paths (that is easy to enforce!)

Last edited:
OK I live in New York state where all E bikes are considered illegal by the DMV. There are at least a dozen E bikes in town and no one has been stopped. I talked to a uniformed state trooper who saw my fat tired yukon and He stated He wanted one. He told me as long as you don't behave like a jerk you will never be stopped.

I'm sorry, but going 35mph in a bike lane/path is irresponsible and dangerous. If one has an ebike capable of that sustained speed then one should just drive in an auto lane, like a scooter. The whole point of creating those bike lanes was to give bicyclists a safe place to go at human-powered types of speeds without the threat of getting overtaken by powered vehicles going at much higher speeds. IMHO. The reason that these paths & lines prohibit powered vehicles like scooters is not because of some inherent bias against petrol engines, but because their higher speeds prompt safety concerns.

For anyone out there that currently does this, or is thinking about getting a bike that can do it in the future, please reconsider. This thread is full of people reporting that ebikes are currently being tolerated even on paths that have signage ostensibly prohibiting them. I suspect it is because the vast majority of people have class II bikes and are traveling at speeds that many human-powered bikes already go, so it hasn't created any issues. But if enough cowboys go out there traveling at speeds equal to or higher than even cars can go on residential streets, it's only a matter of time before they ruin it for the rest of us. You are right that the current regulations are virtually possible to enforce. But where I think you are wrong is assuming this means regulations will just be removed completely. More likely, if & when this ever becomes a pressing issue, the impossibility of enforcing class II will be "solved" by going the other way: just completely banning ebikes without exception on some paths (that is easy to enforce!)

This is exactly the typical over-the-response you get whenever you even mention an ebike assisting above 20mph.

I can personally sustain a speed of about 30mph on my road bike for about 1/4 mile and I've been on a aerodynamic recumbent in which I was achieving a speed of 30-35mph for that distance and more. These were not ebikes so you're implication that traditional bikes never go faster than 20mph or the 28mph of a Class 3 ebike is just false. Funny that you didn't say this is irresponsible and dangerous but I would say that riding a bike of any kind and at speed when mixed in with cars is a bit irresponsible and dangerous given the attention span of the typical driver. The issue with these speeds on a traditional human-powered bike is that it's not possible for most riders to sustain those speeds for great distances or going uphill, but I don't see why allowing an ebike to assist to those speeds makes riding a bike any less safe for anyone (other than going faster is always a less safe fact of life even for car drivers).

Never did I suggest traveling at speeds higher than cars are legally allowed to go on residential streets, when there is a speed limit of say 20mph thru a school zone, that should apply to anyone on a bike on that street or in a bike lane.

I also did not say that regulations would be removed completely. Context is important when you read these forums. I stated that the current legislation in virtually every state will be modified because it's nearly impossible to enforce them as written. I will always suggest that bikers ride responsibly and as safely as possible, but that doesn't automatically imply that no biker should ever exceed a speed of 20/28mph. I think most seasoned road bike riders would tell you that they exceed those speeds every ride. OMG - the spandexters are cowboys out to ruin biking for all of us.

Back