Mackinac Island impounds ebikes

Rexlion

Region
USA
City
Tulsa metro
I found this article interesting. It details how authorities on Mackinac Island (Michigan resort island with no automobiles) are handling the ebike situation. Riders must obtain and pay for a special license, the ebike must be class 1 only (any throttle must be physically removed, not just disconnected), and the rider must show some sort of physical impairment that makes riding unassisted difficult. Those who don't meet or comply with the requirements are having their ebikes impounded and are being ticketed ($120). I assume they are being allowed to retrieve their ebikes from impound when leaving the island, after paying another ($20) impound fee.

I had a summer job on Mackinac Island in 1977. I enjoyed riding my 10-speed around on the island, until one night it was stolen. I should have locked it up, but I thought, how can it disappear on an island? Well, it did. I filed a police report but nothing ever came of it (I don't think they even looked for it).

Interesting. We spent 4 days on Mackinac in early May and there were (probably) over 100 (estimate) ebikes running around. I would guess 2/3s were class 2, many class 3. I don't think they were tourists.

I'm glad they are now enforcing the rules. Nothing worse than going someplace for peace and quiet and getting buzzed by throttled ebikes.

Interesting. We spent 4 days on Mackinac in early May and there were (probably) over 100 (estimate) ebikes running around. I would guess 2/3s were class 2, many class 3. I don't think they were tourists.

I'm glad they are now enforcing the rules. Nothing worse than going someplace for peace and quiet and getting buzzed by throttled ebikes.
What's the difference between being "buzzed" by a throttled ebike or a regular bike?

What's the difference between being "buzzed" by a throttled ebike or a regular bike?
It's hilly enough that there is more speed with throttle bike. Also, typically can hear a regular bike coming, not so much with throttle bike. Even on MUP in my town, throttlers tend to appear more spaced out; it takes a bit more attention to ride a regular bike.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind throttlers as long as they are not on MUP or in an area that doesn't allow motorized vehicles.

It's hilly enough that there is more speed with throttle bike. Also, typically can hear a regular bike coming, not so much with throttle bike. Even on MUP in my town, throttlers tend to appear more spaced out; it takes a bit more attention to ride a regular bike.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind throttlers as long as they are not on MUP or in an area that doesn't allow motorized vehicles.
All Ebikes are motorized vehicles unless you leave the battery at home. You can go just as fast using PAS as you can with a throttle.

There you go again. Throttles have nothing to do with sensible and sane riding. FFS. Some asshat on a class 3 can be FAR more intimidating than a class 1 throttle.

I disagree. Google the definition of motorized vehicle.
Of course you do. You have long held the same narrow view. And Google isn't a BIBLE., TORAH, OR QURAN!!!!!
SHEESH!

GOOGLE SAYS,
Definitions of roamer
noun
someone who leads a wandering unsettled life.

Synonyms & Similar Words

Don't get me wrong,
Even when you ARE?

Last edited:
Of course you do. You have long held the same narrow view. And Google isn't a BIBLE., TORAH, OR QURAN!!!!!
SHEESH!

GOOGLE SAYS,
Definitions of roamer
noun

Synonyms & Similar Words

Several of those words were on the short list for the plates for our van.

Google, fastest way to find reference to definition; then choose the source you want. Suggest something like an SAE standard.

My take is that they don't want 30+ mph scooters in the heavy fudge tourist season. Good for them. After riding 7 years I can honestly say I've never seen anyone riding a throttle eBike at 20mph.

I've been to Mackinac Island several times. It is a fun place to visit, often crowded and meant for leisurely activities. I totally agree with their ebike ban, only allowing for those with disabilities. When I checked several months ago I think their web site indicated that the disability condition was honor based and not actively checked but maybe things have changed since as roamers pointed out many ebikes were buzzing around when he was there. I would suppose that could be a big problem on the streets sometimes crowded with pedestrian, horses and carriages. There are other ways to get around the island but I've rented bikes almost every time, easy ride around the perimeter of the island and not very hard in the interior.

The local governing body (town council or whatever) have the right to do what they did, I won't dispute that. Sorry to see it come to that, but it is what it is. Glad I didn't have time to take the ferry ride to the island last month while I was in Michigan; I would have wanted to take the ebike, no doubt.

The local government can't be feeling too sad about the influx of funds, either. Let's see... $140 times 75 ebikes would equal $10,500. In 3 weeks' time. Not bad. 🤤

Early May? Geez, I hope you had your winter coats! :) The island always seemed about 10 degrees (F) cooler than the mainland.

Early May? Geez, I hope you had your winter coats! :) The island always seemed about 10 degrees (F) cooler than the mainland.
It was comfortable in shorts and t-shirts, but I'm a north country boy.

The only reason we went that early was there was a great promo at The Grand (2nd weekend open for the season). Been to Mackinac several times, but couldn't justify The $rand in season.

Now, been there, done that, will stay at another place next time.

SHEESH!

GOOGLE SAYS,
Definitions of roamer
noun

Synonyms & Similar Words

Glad to see you're feeling better @tomjasz . :p

i’d never heard of this island. looking at map views, most of the “roads” are bike sized only! very cool!

given the design of the roads/paths and what appears to be a complete absence of cars, it seems very reasonable to allow absolutely no e-bikes at all. doesn’t seem like a place where anyone need be in a big rush 😂

doesn’t seem like a place where anyone need be in a big rush
That is the charm of the island. Feet, bike and horse and carriage are the how you get around. Once the last ferry of the day leaves, one of the most peaceful places I've been.

This doesnt apply to Mackinac( do not know what they charge) why is it that the average cost to rent a bike is 25$ plus( non ebike) and this is for 8 hrs I belive in some instances,I figured a little past $10 would be fair and some of these bikes are not top end either, is it because of the threat of theft or what? maybe I am missing something.I would imagine the 'zoomies" had a bit to do with the class 2-3 ban.

.I would imagine the 'zoomies" had a bit to do with the class 2-3 ban
Pretty sure it's the lifestyle; actually surprised they have Class 1 exception.

Talked to several carriage drivers about all the ebikes. They are disappointed with them (obviously, ebikes threaten their livelihood); the horses don't seem to be bothered by them.

The thing they like less is snowmobiles and 4-wheelers in the winter.

Back