Atlas throttle option suggestions; on & off the handlebars.

kneebenderbiker

Region
USA
Hello Atlas owners and anyone with suggestions. I would like ideas about how one might be able to have an Atlas and throttle but be able to attach and detach the throttle easily.

I don't (yet) have an Atlas but seriously considering it. I also want a throttle and while OH SO MANY hate the throttle, pay no attention to local regulations concerning the throttle or don't give a ****about anything...
I would like to have one and still be able to comply with the local regulations which mean no class 3 w/throttle on state trails. Apparently they're legal on the roads where I live, for now (no matter what Evelo says) and I plan to use the throttle on the roads getting to the trails. So I thought to attach when I'm going out and remove it once I get to the trail. It has an easy plug 🤷‍♂️ right?.

Simple. Except I emailed Evelo and got this response; The throttle is intended to be installed and left installed. You will wear it out prematurely by taking it on and off regularly. When the throttle is installed its not a street legal bike because the throttle will be capable of 28 mph, which is illegal even for a class 3 bike. For this reason we sell it separately.

The Evelo Atlas doesn't have the capability for the owner to change the speed settings in the controller to class 2, (which are allowed on state trails, for now) like the Priority Current does - maybe others too IDK?

It seems to me that a handy, clever person (definitely not me) could fashion some sort of device that would make it as simple as say, detaching a controller screen, for instance, and unplugging the cord. Or something like a quick release on a seat or wheel. Or a buckle like my dogs collar, even hook and loop. There must be some way?

Or should I just forget the throttle? since I'm such a law abiding, civilized person who takes everyone into consideration and do not want to increase the dislike of e-bikers. What do you think?

The usual connectors found on throttles would be subject to early failure if the throttle were regularly unplugged and replugged. A simply improved connector would easily solve that issue. HOWEVER, some eBikes firmware, when there is a system throttle, will throw an error code and or shut down when a component is unplugged.

Having a throttle means riding or returning when you're just plain exhausted. I can ride with 30 somethings.

Wow! Are there really "throttle Police" that monitor trails in your area?? I'm in northeast Ohio and have ridden a few places in Columbus, Millersburg (Amish country), Mansfield, Mt Vernon etc and I've never encountered anyone that was interested! The Atlas can only achieve 28 mph at full throttle BUT only at the highest gear ratio, so dial back the ratio just a tad and no problem. My wife's Omega is Class 2 and can achieve 25 mph with throttle and that's OK?? We never ride at those speeds but they can be exceeded with a good downhill run.
The "Julet" connectors found on ebikes are light duty but mostly waterproof and functional. If you want to frequently disconnect and reconnect, it wouldn't be that hard to splice in a more rugged connector. I don't believe the controller would care since the Atlas simply has the loose connector as standard.

Wow! Are there really "throttle Police" that monitor trails in your area?? I'm in northeast Ohio and have ridden a few places in Columbus, Millersburg (Amish country), Mansfield, Mt Vernon etc and I've never encountered anyone that was interested! The Atlas can only achieve 28 mph at full throttle BUT only at the highest gear ratio, so dial back the ratio just a tad and no problem. My wife's Omega is Class 2 and can achieve 25 mph with throttle and that's OK?? We never ride at those speeds but they can be exceeded with a good downhill run.
The "Julet" connectors found on ebikes are light duty but mostly waterproof and functional. If you want to frequently disconnect and reconnect, it wouldn't be that hard to splice in a more rugged connector. I don't believe the controller would care since the Atlas simply has the loose connector as standard.
I've been all over in Mi, including the supposedly closely watched county metro parks, and have never even been given a second glance (most of my stuff class II able to run at class III speeds). Same story in the Mi state park that's just a few feet down the road from where I live. I think that's pretty much the norm for most riders (nobody checking for/caring about throttles). Florida doesn't give a darn. E-bikes are allowed anywhere a bicycle is allowed - regardless of what class it is.

There are those riders though, that are creeped out by the existence of what I believe are the pretty stupid class II rules regarding throttles. AND, my understanding is there ARE some local communities that have issued tickets - but I've no first hand info that practice is real common. My point is, it's probably a good plan to do some checking before riding in some areas...... -Al

Wow! Are there really "throttle Police" that monitor trails in your area?? 🤣 I very much doubt it, especially in my part of the state. Maybe more so in the larger cities. 🤷‍♂️ I have seen rangers on some of the state park trails but rather doubt they were monitoring for speed or throttle use. However, I very much appreciate your point @KnobbyGuy

My wife's Omega is Class 2 and can achieve 25 mph with throttle and that's OK?? It's ok with me 😊 but the legal limit for Class 2 in MN is 20 mph - on state trails anyway

The "Julet" connectors found on ebikes are light duty but mostly waterproof and functional. If you want to frequently disconnect and reconnect, it wouldn't be that hard to splice in a more rugged connector. I don't believe the controller would care since the Atlas simply has the loose connector as standard. GTK thanks. If I decide on the Atlas and throttle option I'm inclined to just put the throttle on and leave it on (don't tell anyone 🤪) and hope for the best.

The usual connectors found on throttles would be subject to early failure if the throttle were regularly unplugged and replugged
thanks for that input @tomjasz - exactly what I'm looking for. A few hours after I started this thread I thought I should delete it and just let go of the whole idea.

Spend the 35 bucks for the throttle!
  1. To get a quick start across a busy intersection
  2. To get started from a dead stop in awkward situations when its difficult to get your feet on the pedals
  3. Works great in sand, gravel, or sketchy conditions when you need to keep both feet on the ground
  4. Blip the throttle on occasion rather then increasing the PAS level (I believe this is better for battery range)
  5. Use your bike as a 'moped' (we don't use our throttles this way, but it could prove handy)

Back