How do you store your bikes in your apartment/home?

bikedevice23

Region
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm currently studying for a final year university project which is an internal bicycle storage device for use in apartments/houses with limited space. I'm really interested in market feedback as to how you guys currently store your bikes when you come home from your daily commute, particularly E-bike users. I am currently forced to park my bike in my bedroom which causes obvious issues and takes up a lot of space. I am wondering is there many people in the same boat as me, struggling with storage solutions in small apartments?

Thanks in advance.

I live in a condo on the third floor. Fortunately, I have a storage unit in our basement garage that is large enough for me to store four bicycles: two conventional bikes hung from the ceiling, and two ebikes on the floor in tandem. There is electricity so I can charge my batteries there too. And there is room to store other stuff as well, but the place is packed very tightly.

Some Tern bikes can be stored vertically on the floor, occupying only a footprint roughly 2x2 feet.

Ebikes tale refuge inside the house during the colder months but otherwise get hung up on the garage slat wall during the remainder of the year. Lighter bikes are no problem lifting off of the floor but I could see ones that weight 60 + lbs being a problem.
IMG_20200918_0926484.jpg

Hi guys,

I'm currently studying for a final year university project which is an internal bicycle storage device for use in apartments/houses with limited space. I'm really interested in market feedback as to how you guys currently store your bikes when you come home from your daily commute, particularly E-bike users. I am currently forced to park my bike in my bedroom which causes obvious issues and takes up a lot of space. I am wondering is there many people in the same boat as me, struggling with storage solutions in small apartments?

Thanks in advance.
Wish you luck in this important project! I echo what @harryS said about battery safety.

You created an identical thread here with "apartment" instead of "home" at the end of the title. It'd probably be more efficient for everyone involved if you killed that one while it still has no replies.

I think you can still change the title of this one to end in "home/apartment". It's already getting apartment-related replies.

I’d look at a hoist. Like this one…

Bike Hanger – Overhead Hoist Pulley System with 100lb Capacity for Bicycles or Ladders – Secure Garage Ceiling Storage by Rad Cycle https://a.co/d/bCGUMEg

But then the issue is, “will the property owner/manager let me drill in the ceiling?”

Maybe taking the front wheel off and laying the bike upside down. Being sure to have the handlebars parallel to the bike frame would take up less room, but there would need to be a way to stabilize the bike. Maybe against the wall? Or some type of stand to balance the pedal on?

I am currently forced to park my bike in my bedroom which causes obvious issues and takes up a lot of space.
Same situation here, hence I bought a Vado SL for everyday use.
My heavy e-bike (minus the battery) is parked inside my station wagon. I live in a safe area.

I battle getting my trek onto the hook and it’s only about 3” off the ground
View attachment 147986
Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I have addressed the weight issue with E-bikes and hope to incorporate compartments for the battery and other accessories. I'm thinking of integrating a motor onto the device to remove the need for manual labour completely, achieve safety and aesthetics.

I park my ebike in a detached garage and bring the battery in if it's gonna be really cold or super hot. I have power in the garage but no heat or air conditioning. If its decent out I'll just charge it in the garage. Battery is a pig to remove.

When I had my electric kick scooter and it would get to the extreme ends of temperature outside I'd manhandled that monster into the back door of the house and stick it in the cat room. Battery is sealed in the deck.

I know how to care for the batteries and all that good stuff.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I have addressed the weight issue with E-bikes and hope to incorporate compartments for the battery and other accessories. I'm thinking of integrating a motor onto the device to remove the need for manual labour completely, achieve safety and aesthetics.
You could always build your own very cheaply out of plywood or 2 x 4s or opt for something a bit more elegant. No fear of damaging walls or ceiling with a freestanding rack.

You could always build your own very cheaply out of plywood or 2 x 4s or opt for something a bit more elegant. No fear of damaging walls or ceiling with a freestanding rack.

that would not work vertically for a e bike.
here is my version I will sell it to you for that price. mine is weatherproof.
IMG_1447.jpeg

An upside down bike is easier to walk around in tight spaces. Just twist the display first so it does not rest on the floor.

In your dream did you go out to take it down off the pegboard only to find it was stolen and replaced with a white Lectric? :)

Perhaps not the same then as that surely would have would have shaken me out of my deep sleep. :eek:

Back