The Bluetooth Device That Will Unlock Your Android Phone Is...

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
As I got the latest update for my Samsung S21 Ultra, I thought I could explore any new options. (I do that very rarely, as I am just using things if the current setup fits me).

I have had issues to unlock the phone while I was riding, for instance, to take a photo or to change the e-bike assistance settings with Mission Control. The fingerprint sensor on the S21 is poor (compared to, say, Honor phones I used in the past); you need to touch the sensor precisely, which is hardly doable during the ride vibration; wear full gloves and forget about the fingerprint! You could say 'What about the face recognition?' What? In the helmet and possibly a balaclava and goggles? :)

I realise the phone should be locked outdoor as it could be lost or stolen, and there is money on the smartphone! Yes, I was aware the phone could be automatically unlocked in your apartment according to the geographic coordinates.

So I was looking at the Android option to find Smart Lock under Lock Screen:
  • On-body Detection: Nah. The phone cannot distinguish my body from the thief's body.
  • Trusted Places: Yes. My apartment is one of them.
  • Trusted Devices... Oh, that was an interesting option!
What is the Bluetooth device that is always nearby while you are riding...?
  • Your Specialized e-bike :)
  • Your bike GPS computer such as Wahoo ELEMNT.
Yes. It is enough to add your WSBC... device (the Specialized e-bike) to the list of Trusted Devices, and your e-bike becomes your phone unlocking dongle. Or your Wahoo (or probably Garmin, too) could a trusted device.

I expect a condition has to be met: Your trusted device has to be connected to the phone by Bluetooth during the activity. So it would be Mission Control or Specialized App for the e-bike, or, for example, the Wahoo ELEMNT Companion App for the bike computer. I'm going to test it on my today's ride!

Does iPhone have a similar capability?

As I got the latest update for my Samsung S21 Ultra, I thought I could explore any new options. (I do that very rarely, as I am just using things if the current setup fits me).

I have had issues to unlock the phone while I was riding, for instance, to take a photo or to change the e-bike assistance settings with Mission Control. The fingerprint sensor on the S21 is poor (compared to, say, Honor phones I used in the past); you need to touch the sensor precisely, which is hardly doable during the ride vibration; wear full gloves and forget about the fingerprint! You could say 'What about the face recognition?' What? In the helmet and possibly a balaclava and goggles? :)

I realise the phone should be locked outdoor as it could be lost or stolen, and there is money on the smartphone! Yes, I was aware the phone could be automatically unlocked in your apartment according to the geographic coordinates.

So I was looking at the Android option to find Smart Lock under Lock Screen:
  • On-body Detection: Nah. The phone cannot distinguish my body from the thief's body.
  • Trusted Places: Yes. My apartment is one of them.
  • Trusted Devices... Oh, that was an interesting option!
What is the Bluetooth device that is always nearby while you are riding...?
  • Your Specialized e-bike :)
  • Your bike GPS computer such as Wahoo ELEMNT.
Yes. It is enough to add your WSBC... device (the Specialized e-bike) to the list of Trusted Devices, and your e-bike becomes your phone unlocking dongle. Or your Wahoo (or probably Garmin, too) could a trusted device.

I expect a condition has to be met: Your trusted device has to be connected to the phone by Bluetooth during the activity. So it would be Mission Control or Specialized App for the e-bike, or, for example, the Wahoo ELEMNT Companion App for the bike computer. I'm going to test it on my today's ride!

Does iPhone have a similar capability?
This is a brilliant post! The amount of times I've nearly fell off trying to enter my pincode on the move....😆 just tried it and it works great. Cheers

Having a Samsung, you have the option to use Bixby routines. You can have it run many different routines based on Bluetooth connections or location. Many options in routines, give it a look.
One routine that could be possible, when connected to BT on your bike, it will unlock your screen and launch the specialized app. When disconnected, your screen will relock, and I it can close the app. Plenty of YouTube videos on Bixby routines.

Some uses I do with Bixby. Having home automation I run a program called traccar on a virtual machine that ties into my home automation . I have geofences set up that talk back to my house based on my location. On the phone when connecting to the car, it unlocks my screen, and opens Waze. Bixby has a geolocation setup also so that when I leaving the geofence, it starts the traccar client on my phone. Traccar then can see where I am and send me Pushbullet pictures based on location. I have a geofences set up around work that either starts or stops the traccar client. When I get close to home, traccar will send a message to the house that states I am close, and to turn on certain automations. Once I pull up to the house, Bixby will turn off the traccar app, and set the screen lock back to normal. This setup works based on the phone location, so any time I leave my geofences (car, bike, walk) I am being tracked on a private server.
Another: using geolocation, you can set it up to have your phone screen unlock based on the location you set. So your home can be a location where your screen lock is always disabled.

Last edited:
Having a Samsung, you have the option to use Bixby routines. You can have it run many different routines based on Bluetooth connections or location. Many options in routines, give it a look.
One routine that could be possible, when connected to BT on your bike, it will unlock your screen and launch the specialized app. When disconnected, your screen will relock, and I it can close the app. Plenty of YouTube videos on Bixby routines.

Some uses I do with Bixby. Having home automation I run a program called traccar on a virtual machine that ties into my home automation . I have geofences set up that talk back to my house based on my location. On the phone when connecting to the car, it unlocks my screen, and opens Waze. Bixby has a geolocation setup also so that when I leaving the geofence, it starts the traccar client on my phone. Traccar then can see where I am and send me Pushbullet pictures based on location. I have a geofences set up around work that either starts or stops the traccar client. When I get close to home, traccar will send a message to the house that states I am close, and to turn on certain automations. Once I pull up to the house, Bixby will turn off the traccar app, and set the screen lock back to normal. This setup works based on the phone location, so any time I leave my geofences (car, bike, walk) I am being tracked on a private server.
Another: using geolocation, you can set it up to have your phone screen unlock based on the location you set. So your home can be a location where your screen lock is always disabled.
Thank you! I will try it.

I rarely need to access my phone on a ride.

If I need a particular app I can sideload it onto the Karoo 2, which runs Android and can even have a SIM card.

Back