As I have an e bike and love being out on it for some long rides, but then you remember about keeping an eye on your battery charge so you have enough

Anthony Kinneen

Region
Europe
As I have an e bike and love being out on it for some long rides, but then you remember about keeping an eye on your battery charge so you have enough power to get home if there is no power supply on route.
After some time now I have been working on a solution to this problem. Having some knowledge of electronics from learning computer maintenance course some years ago, I realised there must be a solution to this problem. I am currently working on designing a rechargable battery unit which can be attached to the E Vehicle to recharge some extra energy to supply more power to the battery to extent my range.
Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

As far as rechargeable ebikes, I would say, all roads lead to Grin.

Does it charge when you ride it?
Yes, exactly like a toaster, hair dryer, or a portable drill.

1697644722892.jpeg
1697644769766.jpeg
1697644828235.jpeg

I have two 2016 Radrober since new with a standard 11.4 ah battery and purchased a spare battery at the time of purchase. My max range is down around +/- 20% (25-30 miles max at PAS 2/3 level ground). I usually plan out my rides and know if I'm going to bump against my max range or fine with a single battery. I usually take the spare battery if I'm going +25 miles, hilly conditions, or extremely windy days. Pretty easy to toss the extra battery in my topeak rack bag fold out pannier when needed.

Not sure how long your rides are, but I find that my ebike has too much battery! Makes me wonder what kind of weight savings could have been achieved with less.

Turbo/Auto on my Bosch bike will do 50 miles. 75 miles with a little effort, 90 miles with a lot of effort. And I carry a bag with supplies, 1L+ water, and heavy locks.

My suggestion would be to work towards improving fitness. Pedal at lower assistance whenever you can and over time you'll move the bike further with less physical effort.

Good luck on your project. It's always good to learn, study and come up with a solution!

A lot of people, including the big bike makers, have figured this out. They've come up with aux batteries that you simply attach and they either come on automatically or you switch to them when the original battery is down. That doesn't mean you can't do this on your own bike,.

There's some significant electronics in there to protect the batteries. However, I find the simplest approach is to just carry a spare as insurance on a long ride and swap batteries. From experience, most of us know our range, so it's really miles that I care about. I also prefer to look at the actual voltage rather than bars on a gauge. I also know that I'm able to pedal any of my ebikes home without power,

The riding day is short, even if you ride for the whole day at the peak of the warm season. No-one has time to wait for several hours to recharge their battery on the ride (once I tried that at a friendly restaurant, and it was an hour lost with really symbolic recharge of that battery). E-bike batteries are protected by many ways, and "super fast charging" might be super-dangerous (you would not like a fire at an EV charging station, would you).

A spare battery or two is what most of us carry for long rides. I had the Vado SL and four Range Extender batteries as well as two chargers on my 263 km ultramarathon. I had to recharge part of those batteries, and doing that at an overnight stay meant I had to wake up after 3 hours to connect more discharged batteries. Carrying of that 6 kg load was a pain...

I see very little sense in the project of the OP.

I will be shortly making a video on battery stashing along the route.

There are several issues to deal with.

The best distance to place a battery.
The best way to hide it.
The safest way to hide something that has the potential to harm if damaged by accident while hidden.
If leaving a fully charged battery is even legal?
Making the stash waterproof.
Responsibility for damages if it causes a fire.
Places you really shouldn't leave one.

Should I just get fitter instead 😂

Questions:
  1. What is your overall fitness and endurance?
  2. What kind of terrain and surface are you riding on? Steep unpaved roads and singletrack trails will consume watt-hours faster than flat pavement.
  3. How many watt-hours does your bike have now?
  4. What kind of drive system does your bike use? Some are more efficient than others. Some are much more efficient.

Back