Homage GX Rohloffs - order placed

ChrisHudson

After much deliberation and internal wrangling I placed the order for two Homage GXs last week.

I thought it would be useful to update this thread as the order progresses so others might get an idea as to what’s involved. They’re scheduled for production in week 48 which is the end of November.

Ordered them from Dolomiti here in Melbourne. John was very patient with us and test rode several R&M models before deciding on the Homage. In the end we figured we’d splurge.

Basic specs for both bikes:

49cm frame
razor rock tyres
Deep sea blue metallic
E14 Rohloff

We gave the Vario and Rohloff versions a lot of consideration. One thing that comes up a bit is that the nuvinci hub has tendency to leave you wanting for a higher gear at speed. We tried the Rohloff and loved it.

More updates as I get them, assuming there’s interest.

:)

I was amazed how fast mine was assembled an delivered to USA. Hope yours is the same going to Oz. Mine is the Delite. Which it truly is.

Week 48 is going to be a busy production week at R&M factory! My Supercharger and several other forum member’s new bikes are also being manufactured that week!

ATB. George.

Week 48 is going to be a busy production week at R&M factory! My Supercharger and several other forum member’s new bikes are also being manufactured that week!

ATB. George.

Congrats on the Supercharger. That was The first R&M we test rode. It’s what made our minds up on spending more.

I’m guessing that it’s likely to be their last week for the year right? Maybe they load up the production line before the end of the year.

Chris & Homage Enthusiasts …
2019_01_11_01_a.jpg

Some of the locals on my regular ride were impressed by the Homage and others weren't.

I've been dithering for the last few days, trying to decide what has to be added and - this is the hard part - how.
  1. On Monday I went around to meet my new ebike but resisted the temptation to take it home immediately. First, a change of tyres: Rock Razors (60-584) replaced by Marathon Plus MTBs (57-584). To the last, I was concerned that I was making a mistake in not even trying R&M's choice of rubber. Doubts were dispelled when, on Tuesday, I collected the Homage plus two decidedly flimsy Rock Razors.
  2. Next: goodbye to the supplied pedals. After just one short test ride, I was ready for a change to Pedaling Innovation's Catalysts. Thank you to Richard for introducing me to them.
  3. I'll have to admit to riding the Trek Powerfly on Wednesday (for the first time in a long while without its Catalyst pedals!); there was no way that I was going to head off into the summer heat without a water bottle. Afterwards, a Fidlock water bottle was fitted to the Homage's handlebar. I like the Fidlock system because the strong magnets on the mount 'grab' the bottle and stow it securely. Removing the bottle is done with a slight clockwise twist.
  4. Handlebar bag: Ortlieb Ultimate6 Pro. (Again following Richard's example.) The special Kiox handlebar stem is 61 mm wide - just too wide for the supplied Ortlieb mount. The KlickFix ebike mount that I've used is somewhat oversized but will keep the bag well in front of the cabling spaghetti junction.
  5. Mirror: Mirrycle, of course.
  6. Phone mount: Quadlock. More dithering (unresolved) on how to connect the iPhone (Lightning) to the Kiox (USB Micro).
  7. Dropper post: KS Dropzone 75 mm.
  8. Rack bag: Topeak with a Racktime adapter. Here I encountered a big problem and had to expend much time cogitating and, eventually, in drilling holes through the Topeak bag to reposition the Racktime holder further forward… resulting in the bag moving farther aft in relation to the rack (disaster averted!). That beautiful Abus Bordo Alarm lock is just too big and extends into the trunk bag's rightful domain. In the photo with Humpty and Droopy Ears (taken before aforementioned cogitation and drilling), you can see that the lock is missing. Oh, how I wish that the Homage could be fitted with a frame lock!
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good, David. A suggestion. The lock mount can be removed along with the R&M bracket. Put the bracket in storage and mount the lock holder on the back side of the seat tube. Abus makes a strong thin strap that integrates with the lock holder. 20180901_112407.jpg

View attachment 28820
Some of the locals on my regular ride were impressed by the Homage and others weren't.

I've been dithering for the last few days, trying to decide what has to be added and - this is the hard part - how.
  1. On Monday I went around to Electric Bikes Brisbane to meet my new ebike but resisted the temptation to take it home immediately. First, a change of tyres: Rock Razors (60-584) replaced by Marathon Plus MTBs (57-584). To the last, I was concerned that I was making a mistake in not even trying R&M's choice of rubber. Doubts were dispelled when, on Tuesday, I collected the Homage plus two decidedly flimsy Rock Razors.
  2. Next: goodbye to the supplied pedals. After just one short test ride, I was ready for a change to Pedaling Innovation's Catalysts. Thank you to Richard for introducing me to them.
  3. I'll have to admit to riding the Trek Powerfly on Wednesday (for the first time in a long while without its Catalyst pedals!); there was no way that I was going to head off into the summer heat without a water bottle. Afterwards, a Fidlock water bottle was fitted to the Homage's handlebar. I like the Fidlock system because the strong magnets on the mount 'grab' the bottle and stow it securely. Removing the bottle is done with a slight clockwise twist.
  4. Handlebar bag: Ortlieb Ultimate6 Pro. (Again following Richard's example.) The special Kiox handlebar stem is 61 mm wide - just too wide for the supplied Ortlieb mount. The KlickFix ebike mount that I've used is somewhat oversized but will keep the bag well in front of the cabling spaghetti junction.
  5. Mirror: Mirrcycle, of course.
  6. Phone mount: Quadlock. More dithering (unresolved) on how to connect the iPhone (Lightning) to the Kiox (USB Micro).
  8. Rack bag: Topeak with a Racktime adapter. Here I encountered a big problem and had to expend much time cogitating and, eventually, in drilling holes through the Topeak bag rather than the bike. That beautiful Abus Bordo Alarm lock is just too big and extends into the trunk bag's rightful domain. In the photo with Humpty and Droopy (taken before aforementioned cogitation and drilling), you can see that the lock is missing. Oh, how I wish that the Homage could be fitted with a frame lock!
… David

Thanks David. Now we’ve got some nice ideas now for additions and upgrades when the bikes arrive. Fingers crossed that’ll be by the end of January.

Chris

that is a nice looking bike and a sad looking Camel. Yes I have that same lock strapped on my downtube as Richard suggested ,with the added benefit of positioning the weight lower.

Last edited:
View attachment 28820

1. On Monday I went around to Electric Bikes Brisbane to meet my new ebike but resisted the temptation to take it home immediately. First, a change of tyres: Rock Razors (60-584) replaced by Marathon Plus MTBs (57-584). To the last, I was concerned that I was making a mistake in not even trying R&M's choice of rubber. Doubts were dispelled when, on Tuesday, I collected the Homage plus two decidedly flimsy Rock Razors.
  8. Rack bag: Topeak with a Racktime adapter. Here I encountered a big problem and had to expend much time cogitating and, eventually, in drilling holes through the Topeak bag rather than the bike. That beautiful Abus Bordo Alarm lock is just too big and extends into the trunk bag's rightful domain. In the photo with Humpty and Droopy (taken before aforementioned cogitation and drilling), you can see that the lock is missing. Oh, how I wish that the Homage could be fitted with a frame lock!
… David
Hey David, where did get the pedals? Been doing some research on them. They look amazing. Did you get them direct from the manufacturer or somewhere here in Australia?

Chris …
2019_01_10_02_a.jpg

• Left: VP-196 MTB pedal that came with the Homage. AU$23 from cyclingdeal.com.au.
  • Right: Catalyst pedal from Pedaling Innovations. AU$175 from mountainbikesdirect.com.au.
  • The Catalyst pedals have been used on my Trek Powerfly 5 for the last three months of 2018 (just over 3000 km). You'll notice that I've removed half of the pins - these things grip your shoes! There's a second set of longer pins supplied for those who really want to keep their feet planted. I like the Catalysts and plan to buy a replacement set for the Trek Powerfly 5.
  • Why Catalyst pedals? Head to their website pedalinginnovations.com.
  • Richard is the expert on Catalyst pedals, and I think he will add his thoughts.
2019_01_19_pedinn_bb.jpg

The best part of catalyst pedals is that you do not have to use bicycle shoes. I us Salomon Gore -tx trail runners in the colder weather and a lighter weightSalomon for warm weather . You can get right on the pedal and go from a stop but you do need to learn how to properly position your feet on them for optimal biomechanics. I do use the long pins for extra traction. These things are so sticky that you can rotate your lead foot around after stopping to a position above horizontal to get ready for pushing off after the light turns green. You do have to learn how to move around with them to avoid getting you shins all dinged up. Be prepared to bleed a little bit. Well worth every drop

View attachment 28820

8. Rack bag: Topeak with a Racktime adapter. Here I encountered a big problem and had to expend much time cogitating and, eventually, in drilling holes through the Topeak bag to reposition the Racktime holder further forward… resulting in the bag moving farther aft in relation to the rack (disaster averted!). That beautiful Abus Bordo Alarm lock is just too big and extends into the trunk bag's rightful domain. In the photo with Humpty and Droopy Ears (taken before aforementioned cogitation and drilling), you can see that the lock is missing. Oh, how I wish that the Homage could be fitted with a frame lock!
… David
Hi David, I'm interested in the dropper post you added. My Homage Rohloff GX is scheduled for build the week of 21 Jan. I can't really do too much about planning changes until I have the ebike in hand (six-week shipping, I'm afraid) but I do want to think about adding a few essential things. The only part I've already bought is a pair of Deity Bladerunner pedals and I am considering a dropper post. How did you decide on that particular one? Is it the 34.9mm diameter? Is the post raised and lowered using a lever instead of a cable (I see something that resembles a lever in your photo)? Did you consider a cable version? Is there even a way to run a cable through the frame to the handlebar?

The ABUS lock I am planning on strapping to the back of the seat tube since it will interfere with my Racktime SnapIt trunk bag. I am also going to add a water bottle to the front of the seat tube. I am looking at the MonkeyLink bottle for that. Oddly enough, it looks just like the Fidlock bottle. Same manufacturer--maybe? I appreciate whatever info you can provide.

I am considering a dropper post. How did you decide on that particular one? Is it the 34.9mm diameter? Is the post raised and lowered using a lever instead of a cable?
Zaphod …
The people at R&M will be hard at work on your Homage by now.

I chose the KS Drop Zone dropper post which is available in 75 (my choice), 100 or 125 mm options. I'd used it already on three other bikes – all with 31.6 mm seat tubes – so had to buy a shim to fit it to the Homage.

homage_dropper.jpg

In the first photo the post is in its 'up' position, 75 mm higher than in the second photo. For me this difference is 'just right' between having both feet comfortably on the ground or in the correct pedalling position. Having a simple release lever under the saddle nose obviates problems of running cables – it's not as if we need the dropper for technical descents. Those were the two reasons for choosing the KS Drop Zone: very small drop and no cabling.

Cable through the frame? I don't like the idea, especially if it involves drilling holes.

The photos also illustrate the effect of placing a bottle (or tool keg) on the seat tube. To make a comparison with the Homage, you'll have to imagine that the Trek's top tube isn't there. The Homage with a bottle and a PowerPack battery will hardly qualify as a step-through – but there's no harm in trying.

I've resolved the initial problem of fitting my Topeak trunk bag: the Racktime adaptor was repositioned on the bag.
… David

2019_01_25_02_a.jpg

My take on transporting the Homage on a Thule VeloSpace rack…
  • lambswool (from unused but moth-eaten decking oil spreader) to protect the seat post from the Thule lockable clamp,
  • Master Lock loop-end cable – one end locked to car tow bar (where the trailer chain usually attaches), the other around bike and carrier (or just around the carrier when I'm on a ride),
  • Abus padlocks – keyed-alike to house,
  • SmartStraps soft tie (green) linked to Grunt flat tie-down strap with carabiners – because I'm reluctant to place too much faith in the Thule clamp.
… David

View attachment 29248
My take on transporting the Homage on a Thule VeloSpace rack…
  • lambswool (from unused but moth-eaten decking oil spreader) to protect the seat post from the Thule lockable clamp,
  • Master Lock loop-end cable – one end locked to car tow bar (where the trailer chain usually attaches), the other around bike and carrier (or just around the carrier when I'm on a ride),
  • Abus padlocks – keyed-alike to house,
  • SmartStraps soft tie (green) linked to Grunt flat tie-down strap with carabiners – because I'm reluctant to place too much faith in the Thule clamp.
… David

Hey David

Do you think, or do you know, if the rack is capable of taking two Homages? That would be around 60kg right?

Chris

Back