Hello all that own a Trek!

Yeah I saw all that a while ago. I want to know when it will be available, what dealers are going to charge to do the update, and specifically if there are any potential negatives that people might experience.
And I want more details. I keep hearing the update for the PLCX couched in EMTB terms but will my Allant+7 (not an EMTB) be able to have the EMTB mode vs the Sport mode it has now.

I keep hearing the update for the PLCX couched in EMTB terms but will my Allant+7 (not an EMTB) be able to have the EMTB mode vs the Sport mode it has now.

Great question! I'd be potentially interested in getting EMTB mode instead of Sport on my Allant too. So far I probably use Sport the least of the power modes and it would be interesting to try the adaptable eMTB mode...yes, even on paved roads because you don't have to be on single track MTB trails to encounter variable grade slopes.

EMTB mode is most likely a dealer selectable option during the update process since I believe the motors are otherwise identical between MTB with a CX and City/road bike with a CX. So unless Bosch forbids dealers to select that option for non-MTB bikes, perhaps it is something that one could request when taking it in for the update. Same goes for the capability to turn off the lights with the Purion controller.

Great question! I'd be potentially interested in getting EMTB mode instead of Sport on my Allant too. So far I probably use Sport the least of the power modes and it would be interesting to try the adaptable eMTB mode...yes, even on paved roads because you don't have to be on single track MTB trails to encounter variable grade slopes.

EMTB mode is most likely a dealer selectable option during the update process since I believe the motors are otherwise identical between MTB with a CX and City/road bike with a CX. So unless Bosch forbids dealers to select that option for non-MTB bikes, perhaps it is something that one could request when taking it in for the update. Same goes for the capability to turn off the lights with the Purion controller.
Exactly!
When I was riding yesterday I happened to put my hand on my headlight and I was shocked at how hot it was to the touch! This was after riding/resting for a couple of hours with the power on in the hot sun. I would like the option to turn it off so it doesn't get so hot during the day. That can’t be good for it over time.

Yeah I saw all that a while ago. I want to know when it will be available, what dealers are going to charge to do the update, and specifically if there are any potential negatives that people might experience.
And I want more details. I keep hearing the update for the PLCX couched in EMTB terms but will my Allant+7 (not an EMTB) be able to have the EMTB mode vs the Sport mode it has now.

I went in for my 1st checkup at the LBS I purchased my Allant+ 7S from. They made a few mechanical adjustments & updated my firmware for free. That is one of the things they offer as a service; free software updates on bikes bought from them.
I did notice a slight increase in torque in Tour & Sport modes. I have the Bosch Performance Speed motor.

RE: "That is one of the things they offer as a service; free software updates on bikes bought from them"
THEM or Trek as with a 2 year warranty?
I, personally, would think it's a 5 minute 'thingy' to plug in a USB dongle and do a firmware update.
And we should pay?
THat's what my LBS wishes to do.
6 month old bike, pay for firmware update.
Something is smelly.

RE: "That is one of the things they offer as a service; free software updates on bikes bought from them"
I, personally, would think it's a 5 minute 'thingy' to plug in a USB dongle and do a firmware update.
And we should pay?
Something is smelly.

It's free from the LBS. It took about 15 minutes since they said it was a "major" update for my bike. From what I understand they are typically 5 minutes.
Not sure if there is that much competition with ebikes for bike shops in the Denver area but maybe that's why they offer it as free.

3 posts on EBR and done... perhaps he was advised by his LBS to not give advice. ;)
Actually my boss has encouraged me to post more. I have had some interesting life events that have led to me not being able to post as well as 3 other jobs outside of the bike shop to help pay for my addiction to bicycles. I am back at the request of the boss man to try to help everyone and provide as much information as I am capable of.

And we should pay?
Something is smelly.
That is totally normal. Car dealerships do the same thing depending on the update. We charge to do firmware updates because the software and training cost the shop a lot of money to license and use. If you are getting a tune-up on the bike, I will usually waive the fee but that is because eBike tune-ups carry an upcharge to begin with and that is what I believe is fair.

As far as I know, EMTB mode will not be offered at all on the Allant. This is not a shortcoming due to Bosch and their design of the system architecture but Trek. MFGs decide what software is allowed to be loaded onto the actual bike and can enable or disable certain modes when the bike is manufactured. This cannot be changed by your LBS. I will do some research tomorrow as I have a phone call with bosch tomorrow to discuss the update as well as some other goodies regarding the Gen 4 units and smartphone hub compatibility.

I will make it a point to come on at LEAST every 2 - 4 days to try to answer questions and provide what insight I can but life can be a little hectic sometimes.

As far as I know, EMTB mode will not be offered at all on the Allant. This is not a shortcoming due to Bosch and their design of the system architecture but Trek. MFGs decide what software is allowed to be loaded onto the actual bike and can enable or disable certain modes when the bike is manufactured. This cannot be changed by your LBS. I will do some research tomorrow as I have a phone call with bosch tomorrow to discuss the update as well as some other goodies regarding the Gen 4 units and smartphone hub compatibility.

I will make it a point to come on at LEAST every 2 - 4 days to try to answer questions and provide what insight I can but life can be a little hectic sometimes.
I find it hard to believe that Trek would have a real/valid objection to the EMTB vs Sport issue, especially since Bosch is the drive manufacturer. It’s not like it’s taking it from a Class 1 to a Class 3 or anything! I’m also finding it hard to understand why Trek didn’t allow the lights to be turned off.

Last edited:
Thanks @Allant+Wizard ! We appreciate your experience and perspective on these topics. I totally understand that life can sometimes get in the way and sometimes we all need to prioritize what is important.

Just wanted to let you know that I found a Trek dealer who is doing the update and they did it free! The long story short version is that I now have EMTB mode on my Allant +7 and the lights can be turned on/off at will! The tech who did it had me test it and I was quite surprised at how well it worked but honestly couldn’t tell you if it was just the new mode or the increased torque level.😎👍

Attachments

• 642BBA73-273B-43F0-A229-46C0824E47CF.jpeg
    642BBA73-273B-43F0-A229-46C0824E47CF.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 301
Nice!

Question: If you last powered down the bike with your lights on, do they stay on by default the next time you turn the power back on on the Purion? Or do you have to turn the lights on separately every time you power back up?

In other words, do the lights default to the state they were in when you last shut down the bike?

Nice!

Question: If you last powered down the bike with your lights on, do they stay on by default the next time you turn the power back on on the Purion? Or do you have to turn the lights on separately every time you power back up?

In other words, do the lights default to the state they were in when you last shut down the bike?
On a bike with the Intuvia and Nyon, the lights remain in the mode they were in when shut down. I suspect, but cannot confirm, that the same it true for Purion and Kiox.

Thanks Alaskan! That was what I was hoping for and would be my preferred mode of operation. I may request the light option when I get my Allant+ updated too.

Thanks Alaskan! That was what I was hoping for and would be my preferred mode of operation. I may request the light option when I get my Allant+ updated too.
I am replacing the headlight on my Allant+9.9s. It is very bright, has a great high beam but runs super hot. After just a few minutes of run time it is very hot to the touch. LEDs are not supposed to generate a lot of heat. Heat is not light but it is energy. The light has a dramatic impact in reducing the bike's usable battery range. I use a usb rechargeable front and rear flasher to preserve battery range for moving the bike.

I am replacing the headlight on my Allant+9.9s. It is very bright, has a great high beam but runs super hot. After just a few minutes of run time it is very hot to the touch. LEDs are not supposed to generate a lot of heat. Heat is not light but it is energy. The light has a dramatic impact in reducing the bike's usable battery range. I use a usb rechargeable front and rear flasher to preserve battery range for moving the bike.
The heat is why I wanted the update to allow me to turn the light off. I need to look into getting a USB rechargeable front and rear flasher also!

Back