Groundbreaking Trike?

DashRiprock

We just put down $3K for Addmotor's yet be released new trike. Full suspension front and rear, 20ah "world's first UL listed battery'; 750W Bafang motor, speed sensor, banana seat well supported for easy modification (I may put in an uber comfy Polaris Sportsman ate seat that has been around for decades); 450# GVWR; crappy disc brakes; fat 4" Kenda puncture resistant tires, decent controller, modern style lighting...that's about it.

What are the odds that I receive this if and when promised (I will update here if so) and that this model holds up in '23 as at least one of the top 3 for the money per what's featured if delivered?

I think that they have done a pretty good job of disrupting the market here in regards to the suspension in the seat area alone and what could possibly be done to make the non-recumbent class much more comfortable.

...we would also appreciate any no-holds-barred commentary concerning the negative aspects of our purchase or any alternative product that should have been considered. We are old and can (somehow) take it!!!. (no snowflake-inspired therapy pony required). ;)

No mention of weight in the link. Also no mention of speed setting or no reversing switch. It's always been my opinion that a spring front fork is just a half step better than a rigid fork. Very little variability to adjust for terrain or body weight. Most fat tire riders brag about the soft ride adjusted by tire pressure, so I wonder about the advantage of cheap spring suspensions. If that is really important to you, upgrade to an air front fork and upgrade that rear spring shock to air at the same time. I really dislike the banana seat since there is no adjustment for leg length to pedal. Maybe it's designed like all the two wheelers with that look. Just a scooter. Have you ridden trikes before? Be aware they are extremely dangerous in sharp turns and even worse in off camber sharp curves. I think you will really miss not having a reverse. It is a good looking trike!

"World's first UL listed battery" is an easily demonstrable (and clumsy) false statement so it makes me wonder what else the marketing department decided to fudge into the product claims.

Using a suspension fork on a hub motor is known to snap forks. There isn't a fork made that was designed to be pulled on, and if you build a front-motor'd ebike (especially a spring fork) and watch it when the power is applied, you actually can see the fork flex forward and the blades extend outward, rather than compress inward. But the real risk is not pulling the thing apart, its snapping the dropouts due to the power applied to them or having the motor spin out - which thanks to the use of alloy means the dropouts snap rather than just spread apart, as they do with steel forks (note I am talking about two different causes for the same type of failure; one is pulling on the fork and the other is the axle spinning inside the dropouts). The proper solution to a motor spinout is something called a torque arm, which is something that typically is not usable on a suspension fork.

A secondary solution - and the one that commercial companies doing 2wd bikes typically use - is to neuter the power delivered by the front motor, allowing the rear to do most of the work. Since 2wd systems benefit greatly from just a modest amount of power to the front wheel, this lets the manufacturer cheap out and use a weak amount of assist up front.

But this isn't a 2wd bike. Primary motor power is coming from that front motor, and its dragging along quite a bit behind it. So I am guessing they didn't neuter it? I would explore a method of using torque arms on that motor. Unfortunately you will find the DIY builder forums at places like Endless Sphere and Facebook littered with pictures and stories of snapped forks. They will be higher powered failures, but they are on much smaller 2-wheel bikes.

This image is totally made-up. The motor inside - which is a standard-issue Bafang G020 that you have to HOPE is really the big internal 750w and not just a relabeled 500 or 350 - looks nothing like this. When you can spot BS easily it is always a worry that they were more clever about fibbing on something not so easily spotted. Its not uncommon to see sellers claim a 750 is inside and its really a lesser motor core. Rad was infamous for getting caught at this with their fat bike.

addmotor-electric-trike-motor_1679909247[1].jpg

The riding position is horrid. Like a half-way folded jackknife with your knees by your ears. There are not even any fake reviews. Can you imagine an adult on a 20" trike that has the saddle height of a six-year-old's bike?
1681404869999.jpeg

Reactions: rtp
Exactly what I was looking for...unfiltered opinions.
My take:
I'll take 20ah of battery capacity; a 750W motor; over 80nm of torque, a 25A controller; 7 gears; a torque sensing PAS; 4" Kenda puncture resistant fat tires; a seat that you cannot only easily replace but fab up to your liking both width and height-wise (more frame structure to work with underneath than any other) dual suspension easily upgradeable versus most upright trikes with little to none; a foot platform allowing weight distribution to the front wheel when rarely needed (let alone a looong seat of your modded preference for same); a rear bag; modern lighting and related amenities...over pretty much everything out there at this moment in time.

Sometimes it's not about what you have...but a previously unavailable base design boasting potential qualities easily transformed in to something much better not currently on the market.

In the assumption that The "Addshox" front forks selected by Addmotor are pretty much the same as most at this price point; who makes the absolute best fork shocks, hands down?

I ask this as no one seems to be weighing in on what at least I cannot determine from these pics as well:
How does the rear suspension work with not one but two rear shocks as is seemingly claimed in the advertisement?
If there are two, how many other manufacturers are providing us this mod/fab builders dream when few or none(?) besides Addmotor are offering anywhere near this much suspension support in the seating or likely axle area in 2023?
Again, I'd just like to know how this is not a good modifiable (delta) design for the price this side of much more expensive offerings with more or even less goodies.
I'll take a decent aluminum frame design and have everything else go to pot (eventually) if there's something left there which might possibIy be turned in to something else better.
My generation and many before/after took the above statement seriously and absolutely geeked out tinkering with it in both the auto and even steam sector not to mention early EV.
I'm seeing some yet not anywhere near the excitement today from younger generations apparently more interested in...I'm not sure what.

"..Using a suspension fork on a hub motor is known to snap forks. There isn't a fork made that was designed to be pulled on, and if you build a front-motor'd ebike (especially a spring fork) and watch it when the power is applied, you actually can see the fork flex forward and the blades extend outward, rather than compress inward. But the real risk is not pulling the thing apart, its snapping the dropouts due to the power applied to them or having the motor spin out - which thanks to the use of alloy means the dropouts snap rather than just spread apart, as they do with steel forks (note I am talking about two different causes for the same type of failure; one is pulling on the fork and the other is the axle spinning inside the dropouts). The proper solution to a motor spinout is something called a torque arm, which is something that typically is not usable on a suspension fork...."

I read through the add, and the thing that drew my attention right away is this:
48V*20Ah
UL-Recognized Battery Pack

Is that ANYTHING like UL certified?

Bone thrown.
I'm beginning to believe that this design is indeed groundbreaking due to the lack of pushback regarding the Soletri's unique features explained in detail above.
Often stunned silence in reaction to indisputable facts brought forward easily answers a forum topic's subject line.

The riding position is horrid. Like a half-way folded jackknife with your knees by your ears. There are not even any fake reviews. Can you imagine an adult on a 20" trike that has the saddle height of a six-year-old's bike?
View attachment 151610
Here are some pics of what I believe may be their two wheeled version of the Soletri.
I would not agree with your assessment. Additionally, the lack of pushback that I am receiving concerning the unique fact that endless aftermarket seats may be installed at any height for...wait for it...not only one but even two riders seems to validate what this trike has to offer.
I'm wondering also if this is the first hint at what the rear shock design and attachment point will look like...

I read through the add, and the thing that drew my attention right away is this:
48V*20Ah
UL-Recognized Battery Pack

Is that ANYTHING like UL certified?
I just looked at it and in the ad it said: "With a powerful 750W motor and UL-certified battery,"

Ugly Larry offers his recognition.

Okay. They could be good for you. These mopeds are not my cup of tea. Here is one of my bikes. A mid-drive. It has adult sized 29" tires and offers good riding positions. It does not have or need a throttle and cannot be ghost pedaled. It also has an air fork. It weighs just under 40 pounds.
1682889297045.jpeg

Attachments

• Chisel01.JPG
    Chisel01.JPG
    627.2 KB · Views: 177
Nice looking bike my friend. I like the larger tires.
This isn't the most comprehensive review and I'll try to find another yet I think that this is the 2-wheeled cousin to the Soletri:

Last edited:
I just looked at it and in the ad it said: "With a powerful 750W motor and UL-certified battery,"
I see that quote further down that same page!
With all the UL hoopla, you'd think they'd want to get their story straight wouldn't you?

It is very heavy by more than twice, a hub drive, and with little kid sized wheels with fat knobby tires that get pinch flats all day long and need replacement every couple of months!
1682904231474.jpeg
1682904321991.jpeg

...we would also appreciate any no-holds-barred commentary concerning the negative aspects of our purchase or any alternative product that should have been considered. We are old and can (somehow) take it!!!. (no snowflake-inspired therapy pony required). ;)
Looks like an ugly overweight trike with a big battery strapped on the downtube and an old fashioned mini bike seat from 1971. I thought Lectric just came out with a trike?

We just put down $3K for Addmotor's yet be released new trike. Full suspension front and rear, 20ah "world's first UL listed battery'; 750W Bafang motor, speed sensor, banana seat well supported for easy modification (I may put in an uber comfy Polaris Sportsman ate seat that has been around for decades); 450# GVWR; crappy disc brakes; fat 4" Kenda puncture resistant tires, decent controller, modern style lighting...that's about it.

What are the odds that I receive this if and when promised (I will update here if so) and that this model holds up in '23 as at least one of the top 3 for the money per what's featured if delivered?

I think that they have done a pretty good job of disrupting the market here in regards to the suspension in the seat area alone and what could possibly be done to make the non-recumbent class much more comfortable.
Curious, what kind of E-bike do you currently ride?
Have you ever ridden one these electric "mini-bikes" before?
Are you able to get a refund if you don't like the bike?
Are you able to test drive the bike locally before you finalize the purchase?
How important is exercise from pedaling important to you?
~thank for indulging my curiosity

Curious, what kind of E-bike do you currently ride?
Have you ever ridden one these electric "mini-bikes" before?
Are you able to get a refund if you don't like the bike?
Are you able to test drive the bike locally before you finalize the purchase?
How important is exercise from pedaling important to you?
~thank for indulging my curiosity
Pray tell as to what difference it would make to you or even why you believe that you would need to know any of the above?
I've got a cruiser and an mtb with dead batteries...what in blazes difference would that make to you?
Why would you care whether I had ever ridden a mini-bike period...let alone an electric one?
Do you really care if I can get a refund and why would I give a rip?
I have spent twenty times this much money (or more) without test driving a mile and obviously wouldn't have bought a pedal bike if I didn't care to pedal.

Is our younger generation not even interested in getting their driving licenses really afraid of getting in to a strange new vehicle and simply slamming it in to 1st gear/smoking the tires without Daddy or Mommy on board?

Back