Get a good helmet, and wear it.

Name the number of cars first, bicycles next. For a single country.
Compare the number of casualties (car, bike) for two selected countries (USA, Germany). I named the USA and Germany as both are motor countries, and Germany is a leader in e-bikes (25 km/h, in it).
Don't quote "death" but "casualty".

What are you trying to prove, really? That car occupants or pedestrian shall wear helmets? Or that cyclists shall not wear helmets? (OK, soldiers shall not wear helmets either. Wearing a helmet by a soldier is inviting Death, as no-helmets advocate would say).

Name the number of cars first, bicycles next. For a single country.
Compare the number of casualties (car, bike) for two selected countries (USA, Germany). I named the USA and Germany as both are motor countries, and Germany is a leader in e-bikes (25 km/h, in it).

What are you trying to prove, really? That car occupants or pedestrian shall wear helmets? Or that cyclists shall not wear helmets? (OK, soldiers shall not wear helmets either. Wearing a helmet by a soldier is inviting Death, as no-helmets advocate would say).
I am simply saying that the risks to pedestrians and cyclists are similar. People are quick to shame cyclists for not wearing a helmet, but think nothing of walking on the side of the road without one. I do wear a helmet while cycling most of the time and never wear a helmet while walking. However, that is a personal choice and it doesn't bother me if I see someone riding without one. I also cut my hair short in recent years, so putting on a helmet doesn't mess up the 'do (slang for hairdo). If you are cycling for exercise, that doesn't matter. If you are cycling for transportation, that can make the difference between deciding to take the car or the bike for some people.

And much like that topic, those who try to refute the "need" to wear a helmet come up with all sorts of fairy-tale nonsense to support their viewpoint, one often driven by fear and ignorance. Thus the use of card-stacked cherry-picked statistics mated to an endless stream of irrational lies.

Wizard's First Rule folks: "People are dumb. They will believe a lie because they want it to be true, or because they are afraid it might be true."

You'd THINK that fear would make people put the bloody things on, but they "small number fallacy" themselves to prop up and sustain a more important fear. A fear of "I'll look stupid" or worse, "I'll look like a {sexual orientation slur omitted}". Far too many people are more concerned with appearance and tribalistic bigotry than common sense. Quite literally preferring to do something stupid, than be caught looking -- to their mind and the nonsense "society" has filled their heads with -- stupid.

Thus so much of the anti-helmet idiocy is nothing more than testosterone poisoning, or as a lady friend calls it "BMS". Big Man Syndrome. These little epsilon males trying to compensate for their lack of testicular fortitude by trying to PRETEND they're alpha's, showing how little 'fear' they have by not wearing the helmet.

Likely why there's so much overlap between the die-hard anti-helmet nuts and the jerks who can't go to Walmart without open carrying their penis extension and a half dozen high capacity mags. But sure, those of us wearing masks, social distancing, and putting helmets on to ride bicycles are the ones living in fear.

Sure, there are places where few if any riders wear helmets on bicycles, but those places also tend to have a lot less drivers who think they own the road and have blindness to anything smaller than another automobile. Riders in such places -- like the Netherlands -- have far more infrastructure and locations where bicycles are as numerous as pedestrians and more common than the car. You live in America where you have jackasses screaming at you to "Get out of the road" right next to the sign that says "no bicycles on sidewalk" and 15 yards from the sign with a picture of a bicycle and the text "share the road", you wear the bloody helmet. True story bro...

,,,And maybe a vest with back armor like many motorcyclists do... and maybe even some knee and elbow protection too. I wish to hell I had padded up 24 years ago when I shattered an elbow in a crash! At least that was the worst of my injuries since without having worn a helmet that night, I likely would have busted my head open.

Sure growing up my generation and older never wore them, but half our cars didn't even HAVE seatbelts either. We sure as shine-ola never went out on the rough paths mountain bikers do. For us a 4" ramp made out of a plywood sheet and two cinder blocks was "being dangerous".

That's part of the issue too IMHO, this ridiculous absurd rosy fiction about "how great things used to be." A nostalgia seen through rose-coloured glasses tainting nearly every aspect of society; that for the most part is in no way, shape, or form based in reality. At BEST it's a mix of confirmation bias and the survivorship fallacy. Ideas deeply rooted in "I was ok, so it couldn't be a real danger", and worst of all, willful denial in the form of "It could never happen to me".

Too many of our behaviors as a species is based on the sociopathic idea of "me, me, me, **** everyone else", whilst at the same time using that narcissism to in fact screw ourselves over -- again out of fear. Bad things can happen to ANY of us at ANY moment. But you mix in the confirmation bias of going long periods without a disaster, and the end result is people getting sloppy or making irrational choices. Much less a willingness to believe almost any lie that supports the false idea of "Safety without precautions.".

You take poverty. The simple fact is the vast majority of normal people are one bad week away from being broke, homeless, and just plain destitute. That's the REALITY nobody wants to admit, so we bullshit. We blame the poor for being poor, the homeless for being homeless, etc, etc. Anything to avoid the fact that -- as Picard told Data -- "It is possible to make no mistakes and still lose. That's not a failing, that is life!"

The same mentality (emphasis on the mental) is applied to things like safety equipment. "Well I don't ride in a way or places I need it", or "I've been riding for years and had plenty of falls, I've been fine". ANYTHING to maintain the narrative that "it could never happen to me".

A natural result of spending the past 40 years promoting narcissistic sociopathy as a virtue, whilst casting empathy, compassion, reason, and even just plain reality as some sort of evil to be cast out at every opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big believer in body amour for my motorcycle riding too. I look down at the tarmac whizzing by at 60 MPH or faster I shiver to think what would happen if I went down and slid along just wearing a T shirt and shorts. I suit up for every ride. Elbow and knee pads would be welcome for a bicycle crash too.

I’m good with folks having a choice, but, how many times have we seen on the news a person who is hospitalized with COVID saying they wish they had gotten the vaccine? I’ve been down on a motorcycle before and had I not had my helmet on, probably would not be typing this. Unless I’m testing a repair on my bike in front of my house I always ride with my bike helmet. Choice is good, but you bust your head open and manage to survive, bet while your in the hospital your telling yourself wish I had my helmet on while riding.

I'm a big believer in body amour for my motorcycle riding too. I look down at the tarmac whizzing by at 60 MPH or faster I shiver to think what would happen if I went down and slid along just wearing a T shirt and shorts. I suit up for every ride. Elbow and knee pads would be welcome for a bicycle crash too.
been there done that.

2001, humming along on the 5 freeway through downtown L.A. CBR954RR, doing 70ish in left lane. Guy in a Suburban SUV comes onto freeway and swoops across 5 lanes and clips the front tire of my motorcycle with his bumper. I saw him coming and I was already braking, but it was too late, bike was flipped out from under me, according to the CHP I slid 283 ft. I walked away from that unscathed. full riding gear (Kevlar Jeans with pads, full leather jacket with waist cinch so it didn't ride up, gloves, helmet). ZERO road rash.

however, the ass turd behind me wasn't paying attention and hit me (ran over me) after I stopped sliding. Zero road rash, zero injury from the impact, broken hip, pelvis, femur, ruptured bladder, spleen, and testicle from the impact of the car on my body.. Helmet split, but I did not suffer any head injury. Still have the helmet hanging on my garage wall as a reminder.

took me 18 months to learn to walk again, been 20 years and I still have some issues when it is cold. but I'm here.

I never ride my motorcycle (yes I still ride) or my bike without full gear (proper pants, shirts, padding and helmet). don't give a fark how I look, once you have been through the grinder, you are far more aware of what the results can be..

been there done that.

2001, humming along on the 5 freeway through downtown L.A. CBR954RR, doing 70ish in left lane. Guy in a Suburban SUV comes onto freeway and swoops across 5 lanes and clips the front tire of my motorcycle with his bumper. I saw him coming and I was already braking, but it was too late, bike was flipped out from under me, according to the CHP I slid 283 ft. I walked away from that unscathed. full riding gear (Kevlar Jeans with pads, full leather jacket with waist cinch so it didn't ride up, gloves, helmet). ZERO road rash.

however, the ass turd behind me wasn't paying attention and hit me (ran over me) after I stopped sliding. Zero road rash, zero injury from the impact, broken hip, pelvis, femur, ruptured bladder, spleen, and testicle from the impact of the car on my body.. Helmet split, but I did not suffer any head injury. Still have the helmet hanging on my garage wall as a reminder.

took me 18 months to learn to walk again, been 20 years and I still have some issues when it is cold. but I'm here.

I never ride my motorcycle (yes I still ride) or my bike without full gear (proper pants, shirts, padding and helmet). don't give a fark how I look, once you have been through the grinder, you are far more aware of what the results can be..
Suffice to say, even though you got run over by a car at speed, the safety gear you had on did it's job. It might have been different had you not been appropriately attired. I spent a lot of years on the LA freeways including the piece of I-5 you speak off. I think the 405 was the most congested part I rode on, especially over the Sepulveda pass. Now I don't ride those much anymore, no G/F at UCLA or a daily commute anymore. Cheers.

once you have been through the grinder, you are far more aware of what the results can be..
^^^ this. All the anti helmet nonsense is spew from people who lack the experience to *know* what they are talking about. But its the internet so lets run our mouth anyway.

15 mph ebike in bike lane. 5 mph (not fifty... five) car. Helmet smashed thru. Eye socket saved from a grinding by chin guard that just baaaarely kept my face off the ground but ground my eyeglasses while I was wearing them. Many injuries all over body, but only head injury was a small cut from the helmet fragmentation. Not even a headache. I landed on my head after flying clean over the car. So impact at speed was directly on my noggin. Would have popped like a grape without the useless helmet that won't help me in a car accident.

IMG_20171212_222228.jpg
IMG_20171212_215925.jpg
IMG_20171212_220007.jpg

And btw I am fine with there being no mandate to wear a helmet. Here in the US it least we like to say its a free country. So... be smart or be a dumbass as you please.

Last edited:
^^^ this. All the anti helmet nonsense is spew from people who lack the experience to *know* what they are talking about. But its the internet so lets run our mouth anyway.

15 mph ebike in bike lane. 5 mph (not fifty... five) car. Helmet smashed thru. Eye socket saved from a grinding by chin guard that just baaaarely kept my face off the ground but ground my eyeglasses while I was wearing them. Many injuries all over body, but only head injury was a small cut from the helmet fragmentation. Not even a headache. I landed on my head after flying clean over the car. So impact at speed was directly on my noggin. Would have popped like a grape without the useless helmet that won't help me in a car accident.

View attachment 102239View attachment 102240View attachment 102241
And btw I am fine with there being no mandate to wear a helmet. Here in the US it least we like to say its a free country. So... be smart or be a dumbass as you please.
Yep, like I posted earlier, how's this even a debate? Your mashed up helmet, would have been your head. Common sense, gloves protect hands, and a helmet protects your melon.

Last edited:
Dodgeman,

Boy I agree with you! And I had a head on 500 Honda XR (with street legal license back in 79 when you could get away with it) coming home from work where I always rode thru the hills to get home. I just was coming from the doctor getting stitches out of my index finger that partial crushed in a rolling mill rolling down a bar of palladium. Now I could grab the throttle better than I could with the stitches. Here I come around a corner, in the hills, going as fdat as I could make my bike go, and here come two guys on M/C's the other way. I look up and Bam...never even hit my brakes avoided one guy but not the other. His forks hit lower right leg just as I went over the bars about 20 feet. I roll over to see blood dripping from a small tear in my Levi's. I rotate my upper leg and my lower leg did not move...so I guess I go into shock when the guy who hit me gets on my bike because hit so hard the front tire was ripped off his front rim hard...and heard say....man I just got through rebuilding and painting this thing! He got on my bike and rode into town to get me help. So I sat there contemplating my summer ahead while not enjoying how I spent it. Almost 10 months later I finally get out of my toe to hip cast. The doc gives me a small cast from just my Knee to toes/foot.

That lasted until the new 420cc Kawi open classer comes out and what do I do with my leg still in the cast, why I plop down money for the thing!....Longer story shorter....a few weeks later while coming again from work on my new Kawi, crossing the river before riding out of the back country to my house, I fail to negotiate the river, slide back down into the river now standing there in my cast, wondering what;'s gonna happen now.

By the time I get home, the cast under my foot falls off exposing my whole foot bottom and I'm thinking my leg is gonna collapse...from being non supported. Lucky for me going back to the doctor for a new cast, where I I of course never explained how my cast got wet or the fact that I was out riding again on what he liked to call murdercycles! It's turns out he never put on another cast and let me walk out of there wearing NO PLASTER!!!

But yea I believe in safety equipment for sure! Then there was the time in 7th grade where I broke my jaw on a Jaw breaker piece of candy while playing soccer after school!

But I'm still gonna get a Luna Cycle Apollo when ever they tell me I can place an order!

Cheers!

Larry

Last edited:
Great words Sir! I just turned 70 so I speak from experience! Still crazy headed to get my first ebike though!!! though I was just told nothing before winter next year…;-(

Speaking from years of helmetless motorcycle/bicycle experience, my favorite line has always been that I used up 8 1/2 of my 9 lives without getting a scratch on motorcycles. The older I got the more near-death experiences I had and ended up with a full face Bell helmet by the time I hit 21 because I saw friends in the hospital spending months recovering from similar situations as mine but just weren’t as lucky as me. To those who have had this same luck I will tell you that luck can and does run out. I fell sideways doing about 5 mph last year and my head took a major shot on the paved trail. I had a cheap bike helmet on and it did it’s job and absorbed the blow and cracked/crushed significantly. Thought I cracked some ribs and it really hurt but never had any issue with my head thanks to that cheap helmet. Just sayin’!

I don't usually read rants as long as this one , but I must say it as a pretty good rant!
I truly worry about how people now consider that long. I remember the days when forum users used to complain that 32k was too small a limit for most posts. Today you give then 288 characters and they act like their cup doth runneth over. Part of why I have little use for the TLDR twitter-generation nose-breathers who scream "AAAAH, WALL OF TEXT" at anything longer than a paragraph.

It's like my Medium articles where their system says the average one is a 20 minute read... I'm like "really?" because if those take 20 minutes, that would mean the average reader would take a decade to get through Michener novel.
I had a cheap bike helmet on and it did it’s job and absorbed the blow and cracked/crushed significantly.
Better the helmet than your noggin'. I've also had a few of the "I won't wear a helmet" nuts say "Have you seen how flimsy they are, they just blow apart"... they'll use the evidence of a "cheap helmet" like yours smashing into bits as a reason NOT to wear one.

Clearly such clowns never having heard the concept of ablative armor or sacrificial protection. Like crumple zones on cars, it's designed to be destroyed so you aren't. A simple concept lost on those who just don't want to hear it because it contradicts whatever lies they've swallowed hook, line, sinker, and a bit o' the rod.

Also why I fret when I see people wearing helmets that are already broken. Whilst it's better than nothing, it's a lot closer to nothing that normies might think. But then I spend way too much time worrying about other people. Something that in modern America seems to get treated as a mental disorder.

I truly worry about how people now consider that long. I remember the days when forum users used to complain that 32k was too small a limit for most posts. Today you give then 288 characters and they act like their cup doth runneth over. Part of why I have little use for the TLDR twitter-generation nose-breathers who scream "AAAAH, WALL OF TEXT" at anything longer than a paragraph.

It's like my Medium articles where their system says the average one is a 20 minute read... I'm like "really?" because if those take 20 minutes, that would mean the average reader would take a decade to get through Michener novel.

Better the helmet than your noggin'. I've also had a few of the "I won't wear a helmet" nuts say "Have you seen how flimsy they are, they just blow apart"... they'll use the evidence of a "cheap helmet" like yours smashing into bits as a reason NOT to wear one.

Clearly such clowns never having heard the concept of ablative armor or sacrificial protection. Like crumple zones on cars, it's designed to be destroyed so you aren't. A simple concept lost on those who just don't want to hear it because it contradicts whatever lies they've swallowed hook, line, sinker, and a bit o' the rod.

Also why I fret when I see people wearing helmets that are already broken. Whilst it's better than nothing, it's a lot closer to nothing that normies might think. But then I spend way too much time worrying about other people. Something that in modern America seems to get treated as a mental disorder.
I did replace the busted Zefal WalMart special with a Bell MIPS helmet since I planned to and am now doing a bit more riding through and around trees/rocks with my EMTB.

I figure I already look stupid on a bike... no helmet isn't going to improve the picture. :)
1633398750205.png

Would you say those guys looked stupid?

We don't admit non-helmeted riders to our group rides. For us, a non-helmeted cyclist just doesn't belong.
(We made an exception just once for a teenager who was forced to ride with one of our beginner groups by her mother).

Once, I was about to re-start my solo ride when a car approached me from behind and the driver came up to me and greeted me. It was my riding buddy: I didn't recognize him as I could never see him without the helmet before.

1633399739085.png

Staszek can be seen with a blue bike here. (We even use different helmets for different seasons!)

I’m good with folks having a choice, but, how many times have we seen on the news a person who is hospitalized with COVID saying they wish they had gotten the vaccine? I’ve been down on a motorcycle before and had I not had my helmet on, probably would not be typing this. Unless I’m testing a repair on my bike in front of my house I always ride with my bike helmet. Choice is good, but you bust your head open and manage to survive, bet while your in the hospital your telling yourself wish I had my helmet on while

Does come across like the anti-mask whackjobs in that way. As if long term suffering and disability after the fact doesn't matter because "well only 1% of the infected dies from it". I've seen a lot of anti-mask / anti-vax know-nothings using that mentality, as if 1% of the population is basically disposable; a "screw the co-morbid and elderly" attitude.

And much like that topic, those who try to refute the "need" to wear a helmet come up with all sorts of fairy-tale nonsense to support their viewpoint, one often driven by fear and ignorance. Thus the use of card-stacked cherry-picked statistics mated to an endless stream of irrational lies.

Wizard's First Rule folks: "People are dumb. They will believe a lie because they want it to be true, or because they are afraid it might be true."

You'd THINK that fear would make people put the bloody things on, but they "small number fallacy" themselves to prop up and sustain a more important fear. A fear of "I'll look stupid" or worse, "I'll look like a {sexual orientation slur omitted}". Far too many people are more concerned with appearance and tribalistic bigotry than common sense. Quite literally preferring to do something stupid, than be caught looking -- to their mind and the nonsense "society" has filled their heads with -- stupid.

Thus so much of the anti-helmet idiocy is nothing more than testosterone poisoning, or as a lady friend calls it "BMS". Big Man Syndrome. These little epsilon males trying to compensate for their lack of testicular fortitude by trying to PRETEND they're alpha's, showing how little 'fear' they have by not wearing the helmet.

Likely why there's so much overlap between the die-hard anti-helmet nuts and the jerks who can't go to Walmart without open carrying their penis extension and a half dozen high capacity mags. But sure, those of us wearing masks, social distancing, and putting helmets on to ride bicycles are the ones living in fear.

Sure, there are places where few if any riders wear helmets on bicycles, but those places also tend to have a lot less drivers who think they own the road and have blindness to anything smaller than another automobile. Riders in such places -- like the Netherlands -- have far more infrastructure and locations where bicycles are as numerous as pedestrians and more common than the car. You live in America where you have jackasses screaming at you to "Get out of the road" right next to the sign that says "no bicycles on sidewalk" and 15 yards from the sign with a picture of a bicycle and the text "share the road", you wear the bloody helmet. True story bro...

,,,And maybe a vest with back armor like many motorcyclists do... and maybe even some knee and elbow protection too. I wish to hell I had padded up 24 years ago when I shattered an elbow in a crash! At least that was the worst of my injuries since without having worn a helmet that night, I likely would have busted my head open.

Sure growing up my generation and older never wore them, but half our cars didn't even HAVE seatbelts either. We sure as shine-ola never went out on the rough paths mountain bikers do. For us a 4" ramp made out of a plywood sheet and two cinder blocks was "being dangerous".

That's part of the issue too IMHO, this ridiculous absurd rosy fiction about "how great things used to be." A nostalgia seen through rose-coloured glasses tainting nearly every aspect of society; that for the most part is in no way, shape, or form based in reality. At BEST it's a mix of confirmation bias and the survivorship fallacy. Ideas deeply rooted in "I was ok, so it couldn't be a real danger", and worst of all, willful denial in the form of "It could never happen to me".

Too many of our behaviors as a species is based on the sociopathic idea of "me, me, me, **** everyone else", whilst at the same time using that narcissism to in fact screw ourselves over -- again out of fear. Bad things can happen to ANY of us at ANY moment. But you mix in the confirmation bias of going long periods without a disaster, and the end result is people getting sloppy or making irrational choices. Much less a willingness to believe almost any lie that supports the false idea of "Safety without precautions.".

You take poverty. The simple fact is the vast majority of normal people are one bad week away from being broke, homeless, and just plain destitute. That's the REALITY nobody wants to admit, so we bullshit. We blame the poor for being poor, the homeless for being homeless, etc, etc. Anything to avoid the fact that -- as Picard told Data -- "It is possible to make no mistakes and still lose. That's not a failing, that is life!"

The same mentality (emphasis on the mental) is applied to things like safety equipment. "Well I don't ride in a way or places I need it", or "I've been riding for years and had plenty of falls, I've been fine". ANYTHING to maintain the narrative that "it could never happen to me".

A natural result of spending the past 40 years promoting narcissistic sociopathy as a virtue, whilst casting empathy, compassion, reason, and even just plain reality as some sort of evil to be cast out at every opportunity.
You should move to Vermont with Bernie the Red, New Hampshire is the "Live Free or Die State"

Last edited:
Back