Get a good helmet, and wear it.

I’m not sure what drunk people on bikes has to do with me, but the pics are fairly comical, that guy with the 6 bottles is one talented individual
These people present countryside values you seem to be so proud of.
Yes, I admire our countryside grannies bravely pedalling their battered bikes at any weather because they have to do their grocery shopping, and distances to the store are too big for them walking.
Yet no drunkard riding a bike would ever wear a helmet. Why? Not that is is not a countryside thing (many countryside Mums order their kids to wear a helmet). It is because a helmet costs many bottles of beer, wine, or booze.
P.S. They don't use any form of bike lighting, either. One night I was driving over a less frequented, asphalt road of countryside. Suddenly, I braked my car hard. Some merry guys, no reflective strips, no lighting were riding three abreast... If I hit them, I would respond at the court for doing harm to human beings...

Last edited:
Had a slow speed, but nasty, spill last weekend, which resulted in a concussion and a variety of aches and pains. I was wearing an older Bell helmet, which was neither MIPS or WaveCell. The helmet did it's job to it's manufactured specs, but I wonder if I would have fared better if I had been wearing the latest technology. Bottom line, is spend the money on a MIPS or WaveCell helmet, and wear it. Cuz you never know.

The mishap could be described in aviation parlance as "pilot error - controlled flight into terrain" I never saw the curb. I was lucky a young family passing by saw me lying unconscious in the middle of the street, and stood by me after calling an ambulance.
wow, get well soon

These people present countryside values you seem to be so proud of.
Yes, I admire our countryside grannies bravely pedalling their battered bikes at any weather because they have to do their grocery shopping, and distances to the store are too big for them walking.
Yet no drunkard riding a bike would ever wear a helmet. Why? Not that is is not a countryside thing (many countryside Mums order their kids to wear a helmet). It is because a helmet costs many bottles of beer, wine, or booze.
P.S. They don't use any form of bike lighting, either.
Not sure what countryside values mean in your country but that’s not what they are here. Not a drunkard what so ever, I’m a top level operator of a half a billion dollar state of the art pulp manufacturing facility producing some of the worlds most sought after pulp product, we’re not living out here because we’re useless and poor. We choose to live in small town wilderness because crowds suck, cities are just filth covered in concrete. We are more self reliant than reliant on big business. We just let people make their own choices, freedom to do whatever, no shaming people into wearing helmets or masks or full armour to go to the corner store. We don’t live in a massive polluting urban centre full of crime, homelessness and filth, we live in a beauty wilderness surrounded by hills, lakes, rivers, wildlife,and elevation, with mountains a short 1.5 hr drive. We are good ol boys, who work hard and play harder. We have vehicles of all sorts so we take those shopping lol, we live through long winters. There is an abundance of industry, so money is there, so if we’re not wearing a helmet it’s not because we can’t afford it, it’s because we don’t care to. Bikes are my cheap hobby lol, just one other thing to fill my free time. It’s not my life like it seems to be for you, more like a fun form of exercise for me. I have many helmets for actual dangerous hobbies like mountain sledding and dirt biking, I believe I have 6 motocross style ones on a shelf in my garage, some for colder than freezing and the others for above freezing, and I have a mtb helmet that I’d wear for downhill park riding where there is an actual worth while risk. That’s 2 maybe 3 times a year Id actually wear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stumbled across this thread on a search for POC helmet users on this site.
I don't think I ever read it.
Anyway, I purchased a new helmet last night. I realized my Lazer is almost 6 years old.
I had decided since helmets always need to be replaced, I would stop buying top end helmets, or rather, spending big $$$. I had settled on four. Two Giros and two Lazers. All under $200 CDN.
At the last minute I stumbled onto POC helmets. I ended up getting one that retails well over $200, breaking my new cost rule. I was able to get it for $183 CDN, shipped. Hope it turns out to be as good as the reviews say. POC Tectal Race SPIN. Anyone here have one and can comment?

CN

@Gionnirocket will appreciate this.
1650665022581.jpeg

Tomorrow I will be in a big parade called Butter & Eggs Day. Is just fun and tips its hat to our rural past. There will even be a cow pie tossing competition. I will be riding with a costumed group of local green activists in costumes. I will have on overalls. The problem was that even though we are going two miles per hour, we need to set a good example with helmets. Hence the goofy hat.

I'm not understanding POC acronym.
Person of Color?
Poważne Obrażenia Ciała.
Grievous Bodily Harm. G.B.H. :D
(joking!)
Seriously, POC is the name of a renowned Swedish company that excels in anything a cyclist might want to wear with special focus on helmets, body armour and goggles.

Is that a Tenor sax case? That's something I wish I could figure out how to transport safely on the e-bike, my tenor and alto. I can't even transport the Roland Cube Street I use for my EWI as the dimensions are just too awkward.

Spirit of Micheal Brecker help me if I still owned a Bari.
No, that's a bass guitar case!

POC Tectal Race SPIN. Anyone here have one and can comment?
I wear a POC Tectal on the trails and am really happy with it. I like that fact that it covers more area around the temples and the back of my head compared to the Scott helmet that I previously wore. Very comfortable, secure fit and easily adjusts to fit a balaclava during the shoulder seasons. Plenty of ventilation on hot days too.

GS010092.jpg

Same mentality as the magic gloves that food workers wear. I have on a plastic/rubber glove so everything is protected, even if I use that gloved hand to scratch my ass.
That always bugged me on those "Hoarder Shows", everybody gloved with face masks, then one of the perps or relatives have a breakdown, then the Good Dr or whoever comforts them with a gloved hand that has been handing dog poo or dead cats( maggots anyone?) a sterile area is almost impossible to maintain in real life please do not pat Me on the head with a glove that has been handling animal waste or dead critters( I watched with horror in the prison infirmary while the "Nurse" or whatever you call Her was drawing a blood sample with the same gloves on She wore while handling a urine sample)

The truth is it doesn’t take any real speed to fall wrong and hit your head. Especially on pavement. And any helmet is better than none.
Two years ago I fell backwards in my own asphalt driveway when a fox came at me out of nowhere. I backed up, tripped over my flip flops, fell backwards and hit the back of my head on the driveway. I woke up to see my wife, all the neighbors and two cops standing over me. I didn’t recognize any of them. Went to the local hospital by ambulance and was diagnosed with a concussion, skull fracture and brain bleed. Spent five days in intensive care while the bleed cleared without surgery. Long recovery with dizziness, unsteady gait and vision problems. lost my sense of smell and it has just started to return recently. Oh, and by the way also had to have rabies shots.
I used to ride motorcycles and scooters. It’s been a tough decision to decide to ride a bike again but I ordered a Lectric 2.0 step through. Hasn’t been delivered yet. I think I’ll wear a helmet.

Yesterday a little old lady on a Gazelle passed me on a narrow paved trail. About a minute later I caught up just in time to see her miss a sharp turn and fall, landing upside down and whacking her head hard on a large rock. I think she would have been seriously injured if she wasn't wearing a helmet.

Back