Get a good helmet, and wear it.

Horse helmet? You sure? handlebars?
1659251628359.jpeg

Equestrian helmets for bike riding has been discussed and actually some studies done. The standards for drop testing are lower for equestrian helmets. Bike helmets are held to a higher standard.

View attachment 130700
Equestrian helmets for bike riding has been discussed and actually some studies done. The standards for drop testing are lower for equestrian helmets. Bike helmets are held to a higher standard.
These are for transporting Horses in trailers. Often, theses horses refer or go high with their heads and bang the top of trailers, injuring their heads. Ask me how I know 🙄

OK - yesterday, wife and I were riding local bike path. Got back, and as she was getting ready to dismount, feet got tangled and she went down hard from waist to head. I actually heard her head bounce twice off the pavement! Fortunately, she was wearing a hemet, and came through with aches and pains. The helmet was broken in several places across the back. It saved her from a concussion, or possibly something more serious. Went straight to the LBS and bought a new helmet with waveform technology. Hmmm, makes me start thinking I should retire my old Giro and start looking at new tech, as I don’t bounce very well, anymore. Just wear a helmet and save yourself a lot of grief.

OK - yesterday, wife and I were riding local bike path. Got back, and as she was getting ready to dismount, feet got tangled and she went down hard from waist to head. I actually heard her head bounce twice off the pavement! Fortunately, she was wearing a hemet, and came through with aches and pains. The helmet was broken in several places across the back. It saved her from a concussion, or possibly something more serious. Went straight to the LBS and bought a new helmet with waveform technology. Hmmm, makes me start thinking I should retire my old Giro and start looking at new tech, as I don’t bounce very well, anymore. Just wear a helmet and save yourself a lot of grief.
New helmet every 5 yesrs! They degrade!

View attachment 130700
My daughter is a horse trainer and teaches jumpers. She’s the one who told me about MIPS helmets, and requires her students purchase one before their first lesson. Standards may be different, but good helmets are available.

Unfortunately, her business partner died about a year ago when she was thrown and the horse crushed her helmet. Not a good example of a helmet providing protection, but I wouldn’t call it an argument against either. Not much can protect against a steel horseshoe with 1,000 pounds behind it.

Went down to REI today to see about getting a new helmet. I had researched several models to try out: Giro Manifest, Troy Lee A2 and A3, and Smith Frontrunner 2. Both Giro and Troy use the MIPS system and the normal foam padding. Smith Frontrunner 2 however, uses the 2 levels of foam, MIPS for rotational damage prevention and a layer of a “honeycomb” material for additional impact absorption. The trade off is a bit of loss in overall ventilation with the Smith. Even odder, was looking at the 2022 testing done by Virginia Tech in helmets and the Troy Lee A2 beat out the new A3 for safety. Even odder was that my wife Bontrager Rally beat out these helmets in safety testing. So, ended up having to order the Smith Frontrunner 2 as the only one they had in stock was a small. Learned a lot looking through the data, but still found no significant info supporting one system over the other, other than opinions.

Tangled feet? Tell your wife to not feel bad about it. If it can happen to a sitting president, it can happen to anybody. 😁

I came across this webpage which said that the time issue isn't the degradation of the cushioning foam, but of the outer shell becoming brittle from UV exposure. If that's true, we should be able to lengthen the service period by keeping our helmets in a dark closet when not in use, right?

Went down to REI today to see about getting a new helmet. I had researched several models to try out: Giro Manifest, Troy Lee A2 and A3, and Smith Frontrunner 2. Both Giro and Troy use the MIPS system and the normal foam padding. Smith Frontrunner 2 however, uses the 2 levels of foam, MIPS for rotational damage prevention and a layer of a “honeycomb” material for additional impact absorption. The trade off is a bit of loss in overall ventilation with the Smith. Even odder, was looking at the 2022 testing done by Virginia Tech in helmets and the Troy Lee A2 beat out the new A3 for safety. Even odder was that my wife Bontrager Rally beat out these helmets in safety testing. So, ended up having to order the Smith Frontrunner 2 as the only one they had in stock was a small. Learned a lot looking through the data, but still found no significant info supporting one system over the other, other than opinions.
I posted a Consumer report review. I went with their Best Buy. But many helmats are too small for my massive brain. Almost true...

Back