Wear a helmet and discard the broken and probably old ones

Wear a helmet and discard the broken one

On June 17-18th 2023, I was participating in a gravel ultramarathon. Ironically, the crash occurred on asphalt. As I was in a race, I was riding a Vado SL pretty fast, some 30 km/h. While negotiating a speed bump, I tried to go around the obstacle (wrong!), the front wheel got jammed and I crashed with the full force to the right.

I must have banged my helmeted head against the curb. Nonetheless, I was so full of adrenalin I got up, mounted the e-bike and continued racing. I was in a kind of coma, only seeing the track on my Wahoo but dreaming bad dreams. Fortunately, I was stopped by my brother (who was monitoring me on Strava Beacon and was cruising with his car around), and by two cycling witnesses. They forced me to sit on a bench so I could regain my senses. I'm sure I got some concussion as the outcome of the crash. Fortunately, I was able to ride after a half an hour rest.

Only on last Sunday, my close friend took a deeper look at my helmet. He showed a long crack in the Styrofoam lining on the banged side of the helmet (the crack was hidden behind the helmet internals). Yes, the helmet is only good as a wall ornament now. Well, it was an expensive one but it fulfilled its role. If the helmet cracked, my unprotected skull would have cracked without it, or I could expect a brain damage.

Wear a helmet and discard the broken one!

P.S. Whenever helmets are discussed in bicycle fora, it is a rare situation a helmet can be really tested. In my case, I can recommend the Specialized Echelon II MIPS to anyone!

Wear a helmet and discard the broken one

On June 17-18th 2023, I was participating in a gravel ultramarathon. Ironically, the crash occurred on asphalt. As I was in a race, I was riding a Vado SL pretty fast, some 30 km/h. While negotiating a speed bump, I tried to go around the obstacle (wrong!), the front wheel got jammed and I crashed with the full force to the right.

I must have banged my helmeted head against the curb. Nonetheless, I was so full of adrenalin I got up, mounted the e-bike and continued racing. I was in a kind of coma, only seeing the track on my Wahoo but dreaming bad dreams. Fortunately, I was stopped by my brother (who was monitoring me on Strava Beacon and was cruising with his car around), and by two cycling witnesses. They forced me to sit on a bench so I could regain my senses. I'm sure I got some concussion as the outcome of the crash. Fortunately, I was able to ride after a half an hour rest.

Only on last Sunday, my close friend took a deeper look at my helmet. He showed a long crack in the Styrofoam lining on the banged side of the helmet (the crack was hidden behind the helmet internals). Yes, the helmet is only good as a wall ornament now. Well, it was an expensive one but it fulfilled its role. If the helmet cracked, my unprotected skull would have cracked without it, or I could expect a brain damage.

Wear a helmet and discard the broken one!

P.S. Whenever helmets are discussed in bicycle fora, it is a rare situation a helmet can be really tested. In my case, I can recommend the Specialized Echelon II MIPS to anyone!
I am glad that you had a good helmet and good support that day.

We have an epidemic of bareheaded motorcyclists on this side of the pond. Nobody looks cool after a traumatic brain injury. You can’t change human nature.

Ride safe my friend.

Coincidentally, I just replaced my 4 year old Giro Chronicle helmet with a Giro Fixture II. Both are MIPS and I don't ride at all without one. There was nothing wrong with the old helmet, I just took the advice of the experts and replaced it due to age.

Sadly, only about half the riders I encounter on trails wear helmets. Far fewer than I see on roads. I guess bikers feel safer on trails and forego the helmet. Personally, I've misjudged the vertical clearance on branches, low overpasses and tight tunnels on several occasions. Although relatively minor, the helmet saved me from some nasty scrapes & bruises.
I've heard that one that doesn't wear a helmet has nothing to protect.
The salesman who sold me my first motorcycle back in 1969 said the exact same thing. Taking his advice, I picked out a cheap helmet. His reply was, "Kid, if you've got a $2 head, I'll sell you that $2 helmet." I never forgot that, and to this day, I always buy and wear a quality helmet.

The salesman who sold me my first motorcycle back in 1969 said the exact same thing. Taking his advice, I picked out a cheap helmet. His reply was, "Kid, if you've got a $2 head, I'll sell you that $2 helmet." I never forgot that, and to this day, I always buy and wear a quality helmet.
I think it originally came from a Minnesota Governor relating to motorcycles.

Helmet goes on before I mount and off after I dismount. Although I didn’t make head contact, the first time I rode my new ebike, I stopped to talk to neighbor and was dismounting for the first time using step-through. My baggy shorts (which I no longer ride with) caught the nose of the seat and I was on the ground before I knew what was happening.

Back