Get a good helmet, and wear it.

The title of of the this thread is the truth hands down! While I don't think a adult should be forced to wear a helmet and it's nice not to wear one unless your magical and know your not going to hit your head or get it hit we should. At the end June I was in a crash on my bike and broke six bones was wearing my helmet and my head was ok....... WELL MY WIFE doesn't think so but that's another story.

So sad... just rode this trail Saturday morning and this happened later the same day:

She wasn't wearing a helmet, they were.
Why would she hit a curb while riding her ebike on a MUP? Was she drunk or texting?

MTA: Maybe the kids distracted her.

Last edited:
So sad... just rode this trail Saturday morning and this happened later the same day:

I see that adult no helmet kids with them. mygrandaugter is not 4 and she wears a helmet grandpa bought her along with her bike she is great about wearing it.

Wow, half the folks in this forum insist on going faster and look at the idiots they show in this story with throttles going very fast. Labeled as an ebike accident and emphasizing how fast and dangerous they are. This is the kind of rider who will get laws against ebikes passed very quickly.

I'm not sure whether I've already mentioned that but organized group rides in Poland typically use this phrase in the ride announcement: "Wear the helmet or you don't ride with us".

Helmets are like condoms, if your good and know how to bail, you don’t need one 😂
This statement is an example the theory of natural selection at work. Natural selection is the process through which populations of living organisms adapt and change. Individuals in a population are naturally variable, meaning that they are all different in some ways. ... Individuals with adaptive traits—traits that give them some advantage—are more likely to survive and reproduce.

Don’t forget helmets get old. My last helmet I bought with my old Trek pedal bike 18 years ago. That was way past due for a new one. The Trek dealer got into our pockets deep when we bought our bikes, we got some accessories the most important being Bontrager wave helmets.

I felt the same way when I was 14
That’s too bad that was the last time you had that kind of confidence lol. I’m not 100% opposed to helmets, they have their place, like if I was riding some downhill tracks with some jumps and features or a backcountry trail in the mountains, I’d throw a helmet on. However going for a leisurely bike path ride around town or a city while travelling with the wife, riding my bike to work etc I won’t wear a helmet. No reason to make it uncomfortable and to look like a tool / try hard . Grew up riding everything (mtb, Atv, skateboard, snowboard) without a helmet only things we wore helmets on were the sleds and dirt bikes. Damn near 40 years old now, had many years where I snowboarded at a sponsored level, still ride my side x side no helmet unless it’s real cold, then I’ll throw one on to keep warmer. Had lots of crashes, more than lived to tell the tales and all without the lord and saviour helmet. Some people shouldn’t walk to the store without one but because some people are afraid of their own shadow they feel the need to shame people into it

Don’t forget helmets get old. My last helmet I bought with my old Trek pedal bike 18 years ago. That was way past due for a new one. The Trek dealer got into our pockets deep when we bought our bikes, we got some accessories the most important being Bontrager wave helmets.
Yes that’s a huge thing that pretty much most helmet pushers seem to forget, helmets have a shelf life and lots of them are only 5 years, the most I’ve seen is 10 years. Had some Karen acting clown giving me s*it for not having a helmet on my ATV years ago and while he’s acting like a hero I’m looking at him like dude your helmet is like 20 years old full of scuffs and dings, I had the same model motocross style HJC helmet when I was 11 years old. And also once a helmet has taken a hit, even a small one it should be thrown out and a new one purchased. I’ve seen internals of DOT approved helmets that have only been dropped on pavement in a test and they were compromised

That’s too bad that was the last time you had that kind of confidence lol. I’m not 100% opposed to helmets, they have their place, like if I was riding some downhill tracks with some jumps and features or a backcountry trail in the mountains, I’d throw a helmet on. However going for a leisurely bike path ride around town or a city while travelling with the wife, riding my bike to work etc I won’t wear a helmet. No reason to make it uncomfortable and to look like a tool / try hard . Grew up riding everything (mtb, Atv, skateboard, snowboard) without a helmet only things we wore helmets on were the sleds and dirt bikes. Damn near 40 years old now, had many years where I snowboarded at a sponsored level, still ride my side x side no helmet unless it’s real cold, then I’ll throw one on to keep warmer. Had lots of crashes, more than lived to tell the tales and all without the lord and saviour helmet. Some people shouldn’t walk to the store without one but because some people are afraid of their own shadow they feel the need to shame people into it
😂What a pussy!

Last edited:
Helmet didn't help in my crash but at least I could tell the wife I was wearing it. Broken leg and wrist, six hours of surgery, plates and screws, 7 days in the hospital, hit max out of pocket on my insurance of $6500.00 12 weeks in a wheelchair (two more to go) hopefully can begin walking mid October. Helmets might not always help but they don't hurt. Wife wants the bike sold but not sure thats going to happen. People still drive cars after accidents. Only going about 15 MPH got caught in the groove between concrete drive and asphalt road and went down hard.

Attachments

• hand.jpg
    hand.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 117
  • hand1.jpg
    hand1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 118
Helmet didn't help in my crash but at least I could tell the wife I was wearing it. Broken leg and wrist, six hours of surgery, plates and screws, 7 days in the hospital, hit max out of pocket on my insurance of $6500.00 12 weeks in a wheelchair (two more to go) hopefully can begin walking mid October. Helmets might not always help but they don't hurt. Wife wants the bike sold but not sure thats going to happen. People still drive cars after accidents. Only going about 15 MPH got caught in the groove between concrete drive and asphalt road and went down hard.
Get well soon !

It doesn’t need to be an either or. If we can plan when we are going to hit our heads, instead of wearing helmets we would simply avoid it no? Since that isn’t true, we dress for the crash not for the ride.

Back