Get a good helmet, and wear it.

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/11/commentary-why-i-stopped-wearing-a-bike-helmet/

"The loudest voices in that latter group have a consistent tactic to try to marginalize the pleas of cyclists, and helmets have sadly become part of that conversation. In 2018, riding without a helmet has become the corporeal equivalent of rolling through a stop sign — a symbol that you don’t deserve respect or a seat at the table. Few of these people care about your safety or even the public-health costs of bike crashes — they simply want to thrust responsibility on cyclists rather than give us a safe place on the road, or they want to use the helmet issue to discredit us."

I really wonder what makes people not to wear the helmet.

Four pictures taken on a "bike highway" near Cracow Poland, all within 2 minutes:

1626673519313.png

I've been riding motorcycles here in California for a long time, when I was first licensed helmets weren't required by law. I wore one anyway. On a motorcycle at 70 mph, not only will a helmet greatly reduce the chance of a serious head injury, but it's far more comfortable, along with ear plugs. So a bicycle helmet was a natural for me. It's like part of my uniform since I ride something with 2 wheels everyday, proper attire and grab a helmet. I've never thought helmets should be a mandate for adults, but whether it is or isn't, I choose to wear a lid.

Last edited:
I don't get all the crashes on this forum. Older guys with balance problems ? I have never fallen off my bike except for one time when I thought winter riding was a good idea. Some people need helmets. And maybe, body armor.

This is why;
20200924_174001.jpg

And this

20200924_171053.jpg

And this;

20200925_154052.jpg

So many of you on this forum believe that how you ride/use your bike is the only way, even what bikes we ride is viewed through a skewed prism. When i ride i wear a full face helmet, i wear pads, i carry a survival kit. In the winter i wear a north face down jacket, balaclava have pogies and run with a sled dog. My way is not your way and your way is not mine.

This is why;
View attachment 93716

And this

View attachment 93717

And this;

View attachment 93718

So many of you on this forum believe that how you ride/use your bike is the only way, even what bikes we ride is viewed through a skewed prism. When i ride i wear a full face helmet, i wear pads, i carry a survival kit. In the winter i wear a north face down jacket, balaclava have pogies and run with a sled dog. My way is not your way and your way is not mine.
Ok , you're right ,I sure wouldn't ride on that. Why would I ?

Isn't that the point? It should be a personal choice to wear a helmet and there is no need to shame someone who doesn't feel the need to.
I don't think anyone here is trying to "shame" anyone. Just trying to protect our fellow bikers.

It's a matter of odds... hopefully most will never have some type of biking accident that involves head trauma but those of us who have, are so happy we were wearing a helmet.

Did I ever think I would go flying off my bike and land in cement drainage ditch? Never... and I wish I was wearing knee pads and an arm pad (I have a 3-inch scar on my left arm now)... I am very lucky I was wearing a helmet because the huge dent in the temple area would have otherwise killed me.

Please wear a helmet... no shame... just advice.

I don't think anyone here is trying to "shame" anyone. Just trying to protect our fellow bikers.

It's a matter of odds... hopefully most will never have some type of biking accident that involves head trauma but those of us who have, are so happy we were wearing a helmet.

Did I ever think I would go flying off my bike and land in cement drainage ditch? Never... and I wish I was wearing knee pads and an arm pad (I have a 3-inch scar on my left arm now)... I am very lucky I was wearing a helmet because the huge dent in the temple area would have otherwise killed me.

Please wear a helmet... no shame... just advice.
How did that happen ?

How did that happen ?
The post is here somewhere.

Last year, riding downhill on a paved trail (probably over 25mph), a rabbit cut in front of me and I think I hit it with my front wheel and it caused my bike to swerve into a cement drainage ditch and both the bike and I went airborne... I don't remember anything between that and waking up lying face down in the ditch. My riding buddy thought I died because he saw the whole thing happen.

Luckily, no broken bones, just bruised ribs, my left arm scraped down almost to the bone and one gigantic dent in my Giro MIPS helmet on the temple next to abrasions on my face.

Needless to say, I always wear my helmet and I'm now very cautious on downhills.

Had a slow speed, but nasty, spill last weekend, which resulted in a concussion and a variety of aches and pains. I was wearing an older Bell helmet, which was neither MIPS or WaveCell. The helmet did it's job to it's manufactured specs, but I wonder if I would have fared better if I had been wearing the latest technology. Bottom line, is spend the money on a MIPS or WaveCell helmet, and wear it. Cuz you never know.

The mishap could be described in aviation parlance as "pilot error - controlled flight into terrain" I never saw the curb. I was lucky a young family passing by saw me lying unconscious in the middle of the street, and stood by me after calling an ambulance.
Was your chin strap tight or loose at the time of the crash may I ask?

Yeah that 19.4 % seems low. I always seem to lead with my chin . I really don't want to wear a full downhill helmet but on the other hand I really like my front teeth.
While trying to find a non-narcotic effective pain reliever, I tried an old-school antidepressant suggested by a Neurologist. I fell 3 times at low speed in one week. I wore a helmet until the crap was out of my system. For me wearing is not a hard and fast rule. Now winter is another story! Cages don't expect bicyclists in freezing temps. I wear CE pads and a ski helmet and goggles.

My favorite "safety" post. An old-school aviator and Vesparado.

Quoting Al here....

"Let me just suggest a clarification of terminology: "Safety" versus "Survivability"

Protective gear does not increase safety, but it can increase survivability. Note that I say " can increase". There are forces for which the "best" gear are of no benefit. Armored gear cannot mitigate excess G forces, crushing forces or twisting on the body, for example. If wearing gear gives a rider a false sense of security that leads to increased risky behaviors, that rider is better off riding naked and riding more prudently.

No one can predict the forces his or her body will be subjected to in a mishap. In a recent motorcycle mishap here, the rider was wearing full, top of the line gear, while the passenger only a helmet. Traveling at a truly excessive rate of speed, the rider took a turn too wide and went into the culvert on the side of the road. The two were thrown about 35 metres in the air into a field, coming to rest about 1 1/2 metres apart. The rider suffered a broken arm, but bled out from massive internal injuries and died. The pillion suffered multiple serious fractures and minor internal injuries, but survived. The senior responding trauma nurse said that the significant differences in injuries suffered were due to the nature of each person's impact with the ground. It appeared that the rider did a full frontal belly flop, while the pillion tumbled and twisted.

So, consider safety first, then add protective gear as you see fit to mitigate as best it can should you suffer a mishap. Just don't let yourself think that gear is a "silver bullet" that allows you to slack up the slightest on safety and prudence."

Good land! Funny how a contrary opinion brings out the unwashed (tongue in cheek) that comment before bothering to dig around for facts. There was a AU study as well.
It was meant in jest, although it might have been good to provide a link with a claim like that. But really, it's probably not a lot of trouble to find a study to support just about anything.

I liked someone else's comment that people with seatbelts in cars don't tend to drive more recklessly, I'm sure it takes all kinds, but it's hard for me to image anyone thinking riding over a cliff would be a good idea just because they're wearing a helmet!

TT

I liked someone else's comment that people with seatbelts in cars don't tend to drive more recklessly,

TT
Is that fact, a report supporting that, or just gut-feeling?
[not claiming that seatbelts not increasing safety, but behaviour-wise?]

Back