Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

I ordered from Leili. They are offering a discount on these parts to people who bought from them. Basically is about $400 USD delivered. As usual, shipping is stupid expensive.
Is it cheaper to go through them? and I guess the rear wheel needs to be different?

What model SRAM do they use?
My HD750 bikes came with the SRAM X-5 9 Speed cassette. Had a bad derailleur (b-screw mount broken) upon shipping.
Sent a few pictures and they had a new one to my front door in about 1 week. My bikes are hub drive Bafang 750, not middrive.
The SRAM X5 is perfect so far... smooth shift and pretty quiet once tuned.

I've had a another vendor contact me a while back about buying some of their MD1000 bikes setup with the 9speed cassette setup. Here's some pictures of they sent me.

Attachments

• md1000 9speed cassette.jpg
    md1000 9speed cassette.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 219
  • md1000 9speed.jpg
    md1000 9speed.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 217
This is Really disheartening fellas. My md1000 is clunking at random already too. I suppose I'll pull it apart and see what I'm dealing with. I'm a mechanical person but completely unfamiliar with the design and workings of the SA IGH. In short, this blows. I'm almost scared to ride it now 🤮

This is Really disheartening fellas. My md1000 is clunking at random already too. I suppose I'll pull it apart and see what I'm dealing with. I'm a mechanical person but completely unfamiliar with the design and workings of the SA IGH. In short, this blows. I'm almost scared to ride it now 🤮
How much belt tension are you running?

@RMK! How did you order the SRAM? Or can you list out all the parts needed to swap the IGH to SRAM?
The parts list was in a previous post (you're welcome :rolleyes:). The SRAM drivetrain arrived today. Fast shipping, nicely packaged new wheel with 9 speed cassette installed, SRAM derailleur, SRAM shifter w cable, new chain, thru axel, chainring and the hangers for the derailleur. Basically, everything needed to convert the IGH belt drive to a 9 speed cassette/chain setup. :cool:

I messaged Kyle at Bolton about the issues with the SA IGH and he said he had spoken to his contacts and he believes "Bikonit will change to a different hub moving forward". I received no other details so please don't ask. I have no idea if that is also the Leili plan with their version of the MD 1000 dual battery IGH Belt drive bike.

On a side note, I finished some meetings early and decided to get out on the empty bike trail and try and set a new Strava ebike speed record for a 10 mile segment of the 22 mile ride. My average speed for the segment was 26.5 mph and overall is was 21.9 including some time at a stoplight on a 6 lane road that bisects the trail. What was notable about this speed run is that I was in 5th gear, level 5 assist most of the way and had zero mis-shifts or odd noises from the IGH. The "secret" was to at all times, have a light touch on the pedals when engaging the motor and or shifting. It slowed me down a bit and it's not an acceptable solution to the problems with the IGH but it was an interesting test.

Last edited:
I was told by Leili that they are testing a new hub drive but due to the current issues, they will be taking more time testing a new one. It may be awhile before we see a replacement and there is no comment regarding an upgrade path for existing MD 1000 owners. They also said the Bikonit brands are the American version of their MD 1000, MD 750 and HD 750 ebikes so they are the same bike.

I have a new name for the Sturmey Archer RX-RK 5 ... it's the granny tranny.

I was told by Leili that they are testing a new hub drive but due to the current issues, they will be taking more time testing a new one. It may be awhile before we see a replacement and there is no comment regarding an upgrade path for existing MD 1000 owners. They also said the Bikonit brands are the American version of their MD 1000, MD 750 and HD 750 ebikes so they are the same bike.

I have a new name for the Sturmey Archer RX-RK 5 ... it's the granny tranny.
Rohloff, price is about $1400

I already bought another rim with a threaded gear mounting. I was thinking of tuning in a direct strap drive to that rim. So I do a single gear.

Pedaling the cadence with maybe 90-100 motors max. 150

1616670705460.png

Last edited:
Back