Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

This is starting to get really f-ing annoying...
948241D6-770A-479E-8A60-884C20F98BB2.png

Good day to rest! How do you like the belt drive? Did you check the tension? Also have you played around with the front shock air pressure?
The belt drive seems fine so far, nothing to be concerned about certainly. It seemed super tight when i first built it up out the box, but has loosened off a little now i've put a few miles on it, i think it's more the belt has softened up a tiny bit. It has a little play in it now but still very taught. All normal i think You get an app from "Gates" but to be honest i think so long as it's tight your good. I've played with the lockout a bit but not the air pressure yet. I carry a small rechargeable pump in my back pack so may get round to it. The tyres take a bit of pumping from flat.

++++The tyres also come flat in the box, mine were anyway.++++

++++I used a foot pump to pump mine up so would be wise for any of you guys waiting on delivery to have a pump @ hand also.++++

The belt drive seems fine so far, nothing to be concerned about certainly. It seemed super tight when i first built it up out the box, but has loosened off a little now i've put a few miles on it, i think it's more the belt has softened up a tiny bit. It has a little play in it now but still very taught. All normal i think You get an app from "Gates" but to be honest i think so long as it's tight your good. I've played with the lockout a bit but not the air pressure yet. I carry a small rechargeable pump in my back pack so may get round to it. The tyres take a bit of pumping from flat.

++++The tyres also come flat in the box, mine were anyway.++++

++++I used a foot pump to pump mine up so would be wise for any of you guys waiting on delivery to have a pump @ hand also.++++
I was thinking about getting an actual tension measuring tool from amazon. it seems tension is important to prevent skipping. Im not sure how accurate the phone app will be but its better than nothing

Check out this link to the luna fat babe. It talks about drivetrain tuning/adjustments/troubleshooting

This is starting to get really f-ing annoying...View attachment 73396
You'll pay just before it gets shipped and alibaba holds it till you confirm delivery. Make sure everything is 1000% with your bike before you confirm delivery!
They were all good with me adding extras and pay later and stuff like that, no problem. When my bike arrived the trigger shifter was stuck at gear 5 which i told them about the day it was delivered. I confirmed delivery thinking "no biggie" they'll look after me with the trigger shifter... 2 days after i confirmed delivery and my payment was released to them they said could i wait 2 months for the trigger shifter as it comes from the US in a kit with the belt drives. I said "come on, 2 months"! They said they can't get me 1 anywhere else. It took me 30 seconds to find 1 online. I find it funny they asked me to wait 2 months and you seem to be getting put off for 2 months also.
I don't think they will rip you off or anything like that, just make sure you get everything dead on before you release the last payment

I am happy with my bike and am glad i waited etc. I also had to wait longer than first delivery date quoted due to covid, mine ended up coming earlier than the second date they gave me. Shipping was real quick too. It's a great bike. I just feel a bit punked on the shifter.
I was thinking about getting an actual tension measuring tool from amazon. it seems tension is important to prevent skipping. Im not sure how accurate the phone app will be but its better than nothing

Check out this link to the luna fat babe. It talks about drivetrain tuning/adjustments/troubleshooting

Good stuff.... watch this also. 👍

Good tips all here fellas. I feel your pain on the delays and waiting. It's been over 6 months since I first ordered the MD 1000 and it looks like I'll be riding it next week. All ebike companies are in the same boat re availability of standard components like motors/controllers, drive trains, tires and brakes. Essentially, everything that goes into the making of bikes and ebikes is limited availability. It has dramatically effected availability and replacement parts. I feel lucky to have purchased 5 ebikes for the family and had them all (except for the MD 1000) delivered with minimal delays.

Having 4 ebikes at home, I bought this nice little California Air Tools compressor. That and the Park Tools Shop Inflator makes all my pre ride tire pressure adjustments very easy. It also works great for keeping the vehicle tire pressures @ optimal levels (has both Presta and Schrader valve capability). There are cheaper options but I have gone pretty all in on this hobby so wanted something small, quiet and reliable.
Cal Air.jpg

Last edited:

I'm sure if it's the proper Gates app and not a 3rd party thing it must be cool to use. I doubt gates would put their name to it if it wasn't going to work with their belt? Also if you were going with the luna one you'd find yourself in trouble off rip as the yellow lines on mine didn't line up. There is one yellow and a scratch mark so i take it they did it that way at the factory. Loads of great info though. That's what's good about this site, it seems a bit of all the info is correct and following just one will get you in trouble. Having a few to bounce ideas and tips about is a good thing. Will keep us all right.

Are the wheels tubeless ready?
It says they are, i'd re-tape the holes on the rims just to be safe though. The tape already on is fine for tubes but i'd re-do with better quality tape if i was going tubeless.

Ahhh first one arrived I see?
Wauw!

Question...is the top speed checked with GPS?
Could you still pedal kinda normal?

What is a fast cruising speed that you are able to keep pedaling?

Thanks!

I couldn't really see my phone (GPS) as i was flying down a huge hill and my eyes were watering like hell, i was really booking it at that point! I've only did that once.
I saw it up to 32 mph or something and they were near enough. I was peddling like a MOFU at that speed. The speedo isn't dead on i think but they both jump around a little so hard to tell. They are near enough at lower speeds i would say but i am still messing around trying to get confirmed speeds towards the top end.
I'd say around 25-30 would be normal peddling depending how fit you are and how hard you can normally pedal, something like that. My legs are weak as hell. I am also aware there is plenty more in the motor you just have to program it as it's restricted quite a bit so who knows what the top speed is. It;s fast, i know that! It's quick getting there too and crazy power/torque.

Thanks Terry!
When the speedo is correct at 20 m ph than the rest should be accurate too.

I was curious with pedaling cuz only 5 gears with belt.
Never drove those.

I will choose the 750 hub, cuz I dont drive that much ;)
on my current e bike I had to change front blade, bigger, otherwise K could not keep up

Thanks Terry!
When the speedo is correct at 20 m ph than the rest should be accurate too.

I was curious with pedaling cuz only 5 gears with belt.
Never drove those.

I will choose the 750 hub, cuz I dont drive that much ;)
on my current e bike I had to change front blade, bigger, otherwise K could not keep up
No problem. 👍

The hub drive is more “twist and go” whenever or wherever you feel like it because the wheel moves you along regardless, where the mid drive is more like a car so far as being in the correct gear and dropping gears as you slow down for pulling away in a low gear again. The mid drive will still pull away in 5th but you’ll be putting crazy power through your drive train, if pulling away on a hill even more so! I’d say the mid drive is a more versatile bike but the take away is it’s for sure less relaxing to ride if that makes sense. It’s like 1st gear and I can wheel spin or wheelie for fun. Which is fine if you want that. If you wanna just twist and go the hub seems the better option. I have never rode a hub drive so I’m just giving my 2 cents worth. It’s a huge bike too. You’ll do a... “holy s*it” when you see it in front of you! Lol

According to my bill of lading, my bikes are being delivered in Charleston. I tracked the ocean vessel name on vesseltracking.com and the vessel is going to be in Panama on december 7th. Last time it was spotted it was going 21 knots around the baja peninsula. Looks like a Christmas deliver will be cutting it close.

Attachments

• PXL_20201205_174110082.jpg
    PXL_20201205_174110082.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 223
Re Hub vs Mid, it's horses for courses:
I have a Specialized Turbo Creo road/gravel bike mid drive. It's only 250W with Pedal Assist (torque sensor, no throttle). Riding the Creo is like riding a acoustic bike and the power applied is almost unnoticeable unless I change power modes e.g. Eco to Sport mode. It is very stealth looking and most people don't notice that it is an ebike. The power application is very smooth and it's like having bionic legs with the only giveaway being the faint whirring of the Brose motor. I can comfortably ride the Creo on flat ground at 25 mph in Sport mode. It has a Turbo mode which ups the speed to about 28 with the same effort but at a significant power consumption penalty. This is my clipped in workout machine and so it pretty much balls to the wall when riding the 32 mile bike trail that is near my home.

I also have a fat tire folder with 500W hub motor that has both PAS and throttle. It was my first ebike and I have put >2400 miles on it since last March. The PAS and throttle on this bike are more powerful and crude in their implementation. I expect the MD 1000 to be that on steroids but look forward to having the extra power and speed at my disposal.

The MD 1000 replaces the Fat Tire folder and will be the ebike I take on road trips (vacation riding exploring) and casual riding with friends and my wife (she has a Blix Aveny). Also the MD 1000 will be used any time I want to not gear up (clipless shoes and cycling garb) and get somewhere fast carrying cargo. My guess is I will be fine with the power application as stock, but it's nice to know that the controller can be tweaked should I feel the need.

As to the size of the MD1000, my Creo is a XXL model (riders 6'4" - 6'9") so big is relative. Also, I was able to test ride prototype HD 750 (SRAM 9 speed) and the MD 1000 (SA IGH) at a dealers shop in my area. That's what hooked me on this bike and has me anxious like a kid waiting for for Christmas. At the current rate, it may be Xmas before I actually get it ... :)

Last edited:
According to my bill of lading, my bikes are being delivered in Charleston. I tracked the ocean vessel name on vesseltracking.com and the vessel is going to be in Panama on december 7th. Last time it was spotted it was going 21 knots around the baja peninsula. Looks like a Christmas deliver will be cutting it close.
I used the same app to track the container ship that carried my MD1000. Its good that they use an East coast location for you guys. Ground shipping is where damage is most likely to occur. I hope you don't have the delay with Customs I had. Added 2 weeks and counting to the time.

Nice one buddy! I hope it arrives sooner rather than later for you.

Re Hub vs Mid, it's horses for courses:
I have a Specialized Turbo Creo road/gravel bike mid drive. It's only 250W with Pedal Assist (torque sensor, no throttle). Riding the Creo is like riding a acoustic bike and the power applied is almost unnoticeable unless I change power modes e.g. Eco to Sport mode. It is very stealth looking and most people don't notice that it is an ebike. The power application is very smooth and it's like having bionic legs with the only giveaway being the faint whirring of the Brose motor. I can comfortably ride the Creo on flat ground at 25 mph in Sport mode. It has a Turbo mode which ups the speed to about 28 with the same effort but at a significant power consumption penalty. This is my clipped in workout machine and so it pretty much balls to the wall when riding the 32 mile bike trail that is near my home.

I also have a fat tire folder with 500W hub motor that has both PAS and throttle. It was my first ebike and I have put >2400 miles on it since last March. The PAS and throttle on this bike are more powerful and crude in their implementation. I expect the MD 1000 to be that on steroids but look forward to having the extra power and speed at my disposal.

The MD 1000 replaces the Fat Tire folder and will be the ebike I take on road trips (vacation riding exploring) and casual riding with friends and my wife (she has a Blix Aveny). Also the MD 1000 will be used any time I want to not gear up (clipless shoes and cycling garb) and get somewhere fast carrying cargo. My guess is I will be fine with the power application as stock, but it's nice to know that the controller can be tweaked should I feel the need.

As to the size of the MD1000, my Creo is a XXL model (riders 6'4" - 6'9") so big is relative. Also, I was able to test ride prototype HD 750 (SRAM 9 speed) and the MD 1000 (SA IGH) at a dealers shop in my area. That's what hooked me on this bike and has me anxious like a kid waiting for for Christmas. At the current rate, it may be Xmas before I actually get it ... :)
Totally agree with the horses for courses comment.
I haven't been on anything else to compare it to but the MD1000 is for sure "somedamnthing" on steroids! It feels like I am on steroids when i pedal it! The PAS has to be felt to be believed!
Because it's so damn big, and i am just a normal sized guy i bet there have been people who can't believe it's only me making this monster move by just peddling it.
It must be the same kinda reaction you'd get i ran past you with a racehorse on my back or something daft like that! LOL

Totally agree with the horses for courses comment.
I haven't been on anything else to compare it to but the MD1000 is for sure "somedamnthing" on steroids! It feels like I am on steroids when i pedal it! The PAS has to be felt to be believed!
Because it's so damn big, and i am just a normal sized guy i bet there have been people who can't believe it's only me making this monster move by just peddling it.
It must be the same kinda reaction you'd get i ran past you with a racehorse on my back or something daft like that! LOL
Yeah, riding the Fat Tire folder I felt like the circus bear riding the bike. When I first saw the MD 1000 is was cool, size appropriate! I'm used to things not fitting me and of course you are right about it being a large bike. I recall the Bolton video introducing the MD 1000 and the HD 750 and he specifically mentioned that they are big and not really suitable for shorter folks. I'm glad it has worked out well for you and thanks again for all your contributions here ... :cool:

Back