Found new rims! Not enough spoke holes .....

Rakku

Well, after getting my second flat in 2 days I want to go tubeless on a Radhrino (26"x4" fat tires).
Easier said then done, stock rims/tires dont support tubeless.

Found new tires, finding new rims is quite the hassle.
Finally found sweet rims, the DT Swiss BR 710 Big Ride Fatbike 26".

Those would be would be perfect, except that they have 32 spoke holes.
The current rims with the Bafang 750W motor has 36 spoke holes.

Bloody hell, Im only finding decent rims which have 32 spoke holes.

Im so damn sad right now.

Im not finding any good tubeless fattire rims with cutouts with 36 spoke holes.

Seems like a nearly impossible task.

Why the hell does the bafang motor has 36 spoke holes.....

Anyone an idea what to do? ....

Wow, that Gorilla tape must be something. They didn't mention inflation pressure, doubt if it was 20 psi. Tubeless with rim cutouts seemed impossible to me!

I read dozen of those articles.
And I know that it will be 100% impossible at least with the current tires and rims.

Reason for that?

If I have a flat/no tube pressure, the rim nearly falls out of the tire without me doing anything, basicly no seal at all.

How am I supposed to get a seal there with a tubeless setup? No way that would work if I can just pop out the rim without any effort.

If I dont find any rim supporting 36 holes, I´ll just get new tires (Maxxim Mammoth TR EXO) and try it out, but Im not convinced that these rims will work.

Whats your take on using a 32 hole rim with the 36 hole bafang motor?

I´d have to leave out 2 spokes on each side, doesnt seem like that much to me.
Would that be possible and would that add any kind of risk?

Last edited:
If I have a flat/no tube pressure, the rim nearly falls out of the tire without me doing anything, basicly no seal at all.

How am I supposed to get a seal there with a tubeless setup? No way that would work if I can just pop out the rim without any effort.

That a loose fitting tire, not a problem rim. In the Dirt Rag article, that was adressed with multiple layers of tape and the foam weatherstripping.

If I dont find any rim supporting 36 holes, I´ll just get new tires (Maxxim Mammoth TR EXO) and try it out, but Im not convinced that these rims will work.

Weinmann Rims

Don't even go there on the uneven spoking @Rakku! The torque of the hub motor starting would pull that uneven lacing apart. Bafang and most other hub motor manufacturers use 36 hole setups for the additional strength it provides. And yes, it's a royal pain to locate decent replacement rims if you've got to re-lace a hub motor into a new rim.

That a loose fitting tire, not a problem rim. In the Dirt Rag article, that was adressed with multiple layers of tape and the foam weatherstripping.

Weinmann Rims

Wow, I didnt find those rims at all even though I searched for hours.

Thanks alot! The HL 801 are a good option.

Unfortunaly they dont have a distributor in germany and I cant seem to find them online.

@Ann M. Yeah, I thought that too.

80nm of torque would certainly take its toll on uneven lacing.

Wow, I didn't realize people can run tubeless with those big cut-outs in the rim? I suppose if you had a good stiff liner, it would work, but will sticky goo come oozing out of the big holes?

Wow, I didn't realize people can run tubeless with those big cut-outs in the rim? I suppose if you had a good stiff liner, it would work, but will sticky goo come oozing out of the big holes?

Oh that works just fine.

You dont only use a liner, you use a special tape for sealing above that up to the rims and thats what holds the sealant in.

Karl at electric fat bike blog has a good plan for tubeless on a budget. He beats on everything!

Back