Building A New Wheel Is A Nightmare

For a guy that uses (almost) free bike parts, 500 bucks for a wheel seems like a lot of money. Though, I assume one gets what one pays for.
I am aware I have paid for the quality (good wheels are never cheap!) I was actually shattered to see how maimed the original wheel was when I got it back from the LBS. My own heavy weight, overcharging the rear rack and riding in rough terrain was too much for the delicate rear wheel over 3 years!

The wheel-builder made many interesting remarks:
'You need to understand the wheel is a living organism made of the hub, spokes, and the rim working in unison. For instance, it is not only the e-bike heavy weight but also a terrific torque you are getting from the mid-drive motor. Your rear wheel has got plasticized as the outcome of all forces acting on it'.

'I will only give you some hints. For instance, I could greatly recommend a DT Swiss 350 rear hub. You should think of a 32 spoke wheel. Examine the inner diameter of the rim and try finding a similar rim. Do your own homework. Study how the wheels are built. Make your own choices. When in doubt, ask me but I will not design the wheel for you! Just bring the parts and I'll build the wheel for you".

He was clearly shifting the responsibilities on me but I will never regret the time spent on my e-bike wheel studies :) I also won't forget the nice man had relieved me of the "spoke studies" and did that part for me, same as selecting the right freehub body!

I build all my own wheels, I even turned a 32 hole rim into a 36, some of them are even almost round, but its very true, its a complicated interaction of spoke diameter, lacing method, rim rigidity and spoke hole spacing.

You can build a wheel that seems fine, but it's actually completely stressing every component on each turn

Dishing and truing are actually not that difficult, you just need patience and some coffee. And with a quality truing stand you don’t even need a dishing tool, just keep flipping the wheel. Or even a DIY dishing tool is easy to make.

You don't need dishing and all those fancy tools. Just flip the bike up side down, put the assembled wheel on and use a couple of zip-ties with a ruler, a tensioner and a cheap tention meter to align the rim and to set the spokes tension. Your bike frame and fork already have all the features you need to assemble the wheels

Last edited:
You don't need dishing and all those fancy tools. Just flip the bike up side down, put the assembled wheel on and use a couple of zip-ties with a ruler, a tensioner and a cheap tention meter to align the rim and to set the spokes tension. Your bike frame and fork already have all the features you need to assemble the wheels

Agree, that’s one way to do it.

I built several sets of wheels in the 90’s and early 2000’s. I used DT wheels, spokes, and nipples (brass only) and this was my bible.
I used Phil wood hubs exclusively. One wheelset was singlespeed, one was a flip-flop fixed/free, and one was an 8 speed freewheel setup. All are still working fine, and the first one, the singlespeed hub has over 10k miles with nary a problem.

1705076679607.jpeg

I built several sets of wheels in the 90’s and early 2000’s. I used DT wheels, spokes, and nipples (brass only) and this was my bible.
I used Phil wood hubs exclusively. One wheelset was singlespeed, one was a flip-flop fixed/free, and one was an 8 speed freewheel setup. All are still working fine, and the first one, the singlespeed hub has over 10k miles with nary a problem.

View attachment 169557
I still have that same book! I used to lace my front wheels radially because they were easy, used shorter spokes, & saved a few grams. Lol. Of course, this was before disc brakes became widely used…

Back