Folding Ebike

PatCat

Looks like a good place to share some knowledge on bikes. I grew up jumping the tailgate of my Dad's '71 F100 with a second hand 3 speed Schwinn. Now snowmobiling and gocarting with my kids reminds me of how invincible I thought I once was...I got about 100 miles on my Aventon Sinch. Great bike but could benefit from a couple upgrades that I didn't want to pay for originally. Anyone riding the same bike?

Last edited:
Welcome!

"Jumping the tailgate"??? I guess I'm too old to understand that.

Anyway, that's a folding e-bike? Personally I hadn't heard of that brand before. What kind of upgrades are you considering? And is it a brand new bike for you? 100 miles sure doesn't sound like much.

Photos of the bike would be nice.

I didn't know Aventon made a fat tire folder. It's a market segment that couldn't exist without an electric motor. Looks nice.

Jumping the tailgate is where you rode the bike off the truck?

aventon.jpg

Evil Knieval was every kids Idol back in the day...I believe Aventon has been in the game for a while making racing bikes (road cycles) they have 4 or 5 ebikes on the market. Chinese made but very good quality components. It has manual brakes, hydraulic would give it the stopping power it needs (70lbs. total weight). I just purchased a month ago and don't ride on wet roads so I have taken it out about five/six rides. I'm having an issue with the derailleur getting into 7th gear. I read in another post someone mention a grinding noise. Someone said it might be a bad hub. So fearing the worst I ran it on a jack stand in my garage and notice the noise I have is when I have it in pedal assist trying to shift to top gear.
If I can adjust the derailleur I will be a happy camper. The bike is a beast besides the shifting issue. Hills, terrain not a problem for 5'10" 200lbs.
All I ever wanted to do as a kid was ride dirt bikes and snowmobiles!

Attachments

• 20200430_193529.jpg
    20200430_193529.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 201
Adjusting the derailleur shouldn't be too difficult. There are a ton of excellent videos on YouTube about how to do it. I think Park Tools has an excellent one that might be of help to you.

About the noise... all e-bikes seem to emit some noise that is foreign to a non-ebike rider. What you hear might be normal (hopefully). Grinding is something else though.

Good luck!

My folding e bike 3 wheel is from Mo4. It has a 7 speed shifter but only leave it in 4 to ride, except one long hills. It always makes noise shifting but I though that's what it was that way, I think it is normal as long as u stop pedaling when shifting.

Back