Cyrusher Kommoda - A Unique, Full-Suspension, Step-Through Electric Bike - My Thoughts

Ennovation

Region
USA
Hey, everyone!

It’s been a few months since we’ve reviewed the Kommoda and as time has gone on, I have some additional things I’d like to share, and instead of doing a video, which is my MO, I thought I’d discuss these findings here in this article for the beautiful EBR community (yes, I’ve resorted to pandering very early on here, but you know you’re awesome! So, am I wrong? That’s what I thought.) On with the article!

A little backstory here: I was born in Seattle on a rainy day…actually, that may be too much backstory. Let's fast forward to when the bike entered the picture. The Kommoda is Cyrusher’s first full-suspension, fat tire electric bike. When Cyrusher first reached out with the design and asked us to do a review, I was super intrigued. I hadn’t seen a bike that looked like this before, not that I’ve seen every bike there is to see. (What a claim that would be, huh?) Now, we have a few bikes that are similar such as the Big Dog from Himiway, and a few offerings from Sondors, Aventon, and Juiced that have those same vibes, but the full-suspension aspect really made the Kommoda stand out to me. Most of the comments on the review talked about how it looked cool, unique, or some combination of the two. Since our review, others have reviewed the bike, (A list of videos will be below) and it seems like the consensus was that Cyrusher is on to something. That’s not to say this bike is without its drawbacks. I would argue if anyone tells you they have developed the perfect Ebike, they are not being 100% truthful unless I decide to branch out and create my own Ebike company, in which case I can firmly guarantee it will be the perfect Ebike. So, let’s get back to the few insights I wanted to share.

The Size

The size is very unique, in my opinion. This bike SHOULD be a bigger bike, and the main reason I didn’t include other bikes earlier that share the attributes of “Fat-Tire” or “Full-Suspension” is because most of those bikes are bigger and look similar to M2S, BakCou, or QuietKat. There are other Ebikes with this form factor that have fat tires, but we don’t get the full suspension. Bikes such as the RadRunner or Lectric XP are what I think of. So, the size of the Kommoda makes it quite an outlier in the Ebike space.

The Price

The price was something I’d seen discussed in the comments as well, and while I get where the initial shock of $2,300 (as of this writing) comes from, how do you price something that is a unique product? The Big Dog, as an example, is only $400 cheaper and doesn’t come with full-suspension. The Kommoda price starts to make sense when we compare it with somewhat similar bikes. Personally, I think that’s a big chunk of money to spend on anything, but in the Ebike space, it’s not even middle-tier as far as price goes. This would fall into the category just above affordable electric bikes, according to Court’s categories.

Upgrades

As a reviewer, there are always things I see that could be improved, and with the Kommoda there are 2 things in particular that I would love to see upgraded on future models of the bike.

First, I would like to see a larger battery. There are other Ebike companies that have similarly specced batteries, such as Monday Motorbikes, or Super73 and people don’t seem to be complaining too much about those guys. How large of a battery you need really depends on your use case. Sometimes it feels like people want the ability to go super far on their bikes but rarely do. How inconvenient is it to charge your battery every night, if needed? For me, with all the Ebikes we have laying around for reviews and whatnot, I’m always plugging something in and it is just part of the routine at this point. I may not be the best person to ask if charging a battery every day is too much. The battery has already been improved since our review, going from 12Ah to 14Ah, so it looks like Cyrusher is listening to the Ebike community and adjusting their offerings in conjunction.

The second thing I’d like improved is the pedals. Having the small pedals that come stock on the Kommoda was one of the first strikes against it I noticed. If you’ve seen any of the reviews I’ve done, you’ll know I like a wider, flatter pedal. Maybe that’s the crossover from mountain biking, but it’s definitely my preference. Pedals are an easy upgrade and you can snag pretty much anywhere (Amazon, Walmart, LBS, etc) I would probably get something like the RaceFace Ride, Crankbrothers Stamp 1, or Deity Deftrap Pedals. Of course, the colors would match, that’s just how I roll.

Conclusion

The Kommoda is a unique bike that hasn’t been cloned yet (but I’m sure they’ll be coming soon!) Until then, let’s see what Cyrusher chooses to further improve here, and hopefully, at the end of it the Ebike community has a cool-looking, high-functioning micro-mobility solution.

EDIT: It looks like they’re having a spring sale so there may be some additional savings available.

Ride safe out there, friends!

Other Reviews

Well I had a "Yamee" full suspension smaller battery 500 watt motor 8 spd derailuer, hydraulic brakes,Fattires, regen for $1150 and it went just fine for half the price( did have to replace the anemic controller) As eyecatching as this bike is I find it hard to justify this price,Cyrusher used to be a good bang for the buck bike, noe it seems they are in a price(what the market will bear) war.
Seriously I would buy an Aventon before I put this much in the "Cyrusher" have looked at the Aventon at a bike shop and they are on my"Maybe -bucket list" just the way I feel, but "man o man" that Cyrusher is an eyecatcher( a Cybertruck is too, even though I preordered one, do not think I could afford it.

I’m looking forward to my orange KOMMODA which is due to ship mid-Sept. I should be up and riding before Fall sets in. Price-wise it is on the high side when compared to similar ebikes, save the rear suspension which is why I bought it. Plus, Cyrusher gave me a $200 military discount and a free Cyrusher helmet. The military discount was because I asked for it and the free helmet was given because the original shipping was delayed 2 weeks.

I’m looking forward to my orange KOMMODA which is due to ship mid-Sept. I should be up and riding before Fall sets in. Price-wise it is on the high side when compared to similar ebikes, save the rear suspension which is why I bought it. Plus, Cyrusher gave me a $200 military discount and a free Cyrusher helmet. The military discount was because I asked for it and the free helmet was given because the original shipping was delayed 2 weeks.
Hey arcom! The orange is by far my favorite color they offer and super cool about the military discount! I didn't know they offered that. I wish you the best of luck with the new Bike, what state/area are you going to be riding it around in?

I couldn’t find anything on the website regarding a military discount. However, when I was in a chat session with one of their reps I asked about it. Rather than give me an answer regarding a military discount, she just came back with an offer of $200 off. So I took that to be their military discount. I’ll be riding mostly on Long Island now that I’m back here in New York with occasional side trips down to North Carolina.

I couldn’t find anything on the website regarding a military discount. However, when I was in a chat session with one of their reps I asked about it. Rather than give me an answer regarding a military discount, she just came back with an offer of $200 off. So I took that to be their military discount. I’ll be riding mostly on Long Island now that I’m back here in New York with occasional side trips down to North Carolina.
Gotchya! Super cool they gave you that discount. Well have a blast on it! When you get a few miles on it, I'm sure the EBR community would love to know how you like it :)

Thanks for the good wishes.
I definitely will post My impressions of it once I have a chance to ride it.

Cyrusher has come out with another step through. This one is somewhat larger than the Kommoda and includes a bigger battery (17ah) but does not have a rear suspension. They named it KUATTRO. 26” wheels vs 20” on the Kommoda and the beefier frame up the step~over height 5 1/2” to a still manageable 19.1 inch “short people” height. The display is NOT the much favorably commented color version found on the Kommoda. They’re also asking $100 more. Too bad, me thinks. Put a rear suspension on it and I would be a buyer. Maybe next year?

Any comments on the performance of the Kommoda? I love the unique and very hard to find full suspension small step through frame. However, I’m skeptical as to how it will perform, even if every bottom of the line component were to upgraded (shocks, shifter, derailleur, etc).

The short wheelbase also concerns me in terms of offsetting it’s ability to handle trails. Inherent issue with smaller frames, but looks like they could have gone with a slightly longer wheelbase to improve off road manners.

Would really like to hear more from any owners, both good and bad.

Thanks.

Cold weather has set in and I only have about 75 miles on mine. It has performed exactly as expected, to include the PAS system which did take me a bit to get used to----I have it setup with 9 PAS levels which is really 7 levels as Pas 1 and 2 are useless, but 3-9 provide excellent choices. Mine arrived requiring ZERO adjustments to brakes, or shift system. This is my first ebike with hydraulic brakes and they are excellent. I did swap out the pedals for a better set. I also swapped the twist throttle for this thumb throttle which necessitated the installation of new grips also in orange. (my Kommoda is orange.) For a rear rack bag I bought this one. My previous ebike was a DJI Mountain Bike, also with "low end" components none of which were a problem in a little over 500 miles.

About the only thing that's really heavy trail worthy are the tires--you're correct that the short wheelbase will affect trail handling. 90% of my riding is on paved surfaces or improved dirt so I didn't expect or require rugged trail riding. Which is not to say it couldn't handle them as the front fork provides excellent travel and preload adjustment. Not so sure about the rear non-adjustable shock. One of the reasons I was attracted to the Kommoda is the rear shocks softness. By that I mean it does not require a lot of rider weight or rough road surface to work well. That said, if you're over 200 lbs/92 kgs/14 stone you might want to swap out the rear shock for an adjustable one, an easy and relatively inexpensive swap. YouTuber CitizenCycle addressed this and some other changes in his review of the Kommoda.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate the link to the thumb throttle as I prefer thumb over twist. Did you mount it on the left side?

There seem to be quite a few complaints about the rear shock and difficulties getting it inflated and keeping it at the inflated pressure when removing the shrader connection. Have you tweaked the pressure in the rear shock and have you had any issues?

I mounted the thumb throttle on the right side, same side as the twister was.
The rear shock is fixed on the Kommoda-----you can't adjust the pressure.

Sorry about that, I was thinking of another step through that had an air shock for the rear.

Last edited:
I did swap out the pedals for a better set. I also swapped the twist throttle for this thumb throttle which necessitated the installation of new grips also in orange.
Hey arcom, do you have a photo you could share? I just ordered a Kommoda in orange and would love to see how the pedals and grips look. Thanks

Here ya go:
orange_grip.jpg
orange-bike.jpg

Back