First E-Bike: Ride1Up Turris?

Cortiz108

Region
USA
Having done some reading online, it seems like the Ride1Up Turris is a very good bike for $1,295. I also considered their Cafe Cruiser but the Turris seems more versatile for trails + urban. It's also 10lbs lighter, and they've also upgraded the torque since last year, and added a tail light, according to the sales guy.

Any pros or cons about this bike, or any alternatives I should consider? It seems like with Aventon, RadPower, Retrospec, Velotric etc. you either pay a bit more for similar specs, or you get less for this kind of price. I also looked at the real cheapies like Jasion, but am kind of wary of them. I don't want to buy something that's going to create a lot problems and repair expenses just to save money now.

A few other factors:
- Assembly: I've read conflicting things online. I'm not super mechanically inclined but can follow directions and am not totally feeble 😄
- I'm in a hilly city so I need some uphill power.
- I'll be towing a pet trailer (small dog)
- Is it worth buying an "open box" one to save $100? I don't mind a cosmetic flaw or two, but don't want to deal with having to return a faulty bike.
- Any advantage or disadvantage of step-through vs step-over (I don't care about the aesthetics either way)

Thanks!

Seems like the Turris would be a good fit since it has 90nm of torque, as opposed to the Cafe Cruisers 60nm. The extra torque would help ascending hills and carrying a trailer. Also, the controllers are set different. The Turris has a 20 amp (960 watts) limit while the cafe cruiser has 18 amp (864 watts) limit. The batteries are the same 48v, but the cafe cruiser has 21700 cells and may have more range.

A stepthru would be nice if you bike with boots. I bike with boots and have realized that this would be easier. Good hip exercise swining my boot over the seat. I alternate legs.
I like saving money too, I think the open box would be a good option. Those usually have some sort of warranty anyhow.

i think the turris or the new lmt'd v2 are good bikes, I towed my friend up a 800 ft mountain behind my lmt'd v1 a couple of weeks ago. the turris has a goofy over the bar shifter, 7 speeds instead of 8 and cadence vs torque (i believe). My v1 has the akm motor, which i find awesome.

If (a) you're attracted to the Ride1Up brand, (b) can afford a little more, and (c) enjoy pedaling, give the 750W, 95 Nm LMT'D V2 hub-drive another look for the torque-sensing assist if nothing else.

Ride1Up touts the "advanced" cadence-sensing assist on the Turris, but I'm skeptical that it can match the natural power delivery of a properly implemented torque-sensing system. Combine the latter with a progressive on-demand thumb throttle, and you have a very versatile power delivery system that will really shine in traffic and towing. With the right gearing and tires, you'll have decent offroad and climbing capability as well.

But whatever you do, test before you choose and buy from or through a local shop willing and able to service the entire bike, not just the mechanicals. Aventon has a large dealer network now. Maybe Ride1Up does too.

Testing's especially important WRT the torque- vs. cadence-sensing decision, but it's also important to test the gearing on hills. Ride1Up says nothing about the tooth counts they use, but many hub-drives are geared too high for climbing at a comfortable cadence at low assist (including my friend's Aventon Level.2), and using high assist instead cuts into battery range.

As for step-thru, my wife dared me to try one when we were testing, and it was instant buy-in for me. Now, I'm 75, and you may be a lot more flexible. But if you're wrangling a dog trailer on hills, I bet you'd like the ease of getting on and off. Some worry about frame flexure, but if mine flexes, I haven't noticed, and I ride a lot of bumpy trails.

Last edited:
I think with a 50 llb bike, a trailer, a dog and a hill, any meaningful gearing changes would pretty much render the rest of the gears useless everywhere else. Using the pas levels as gears is the best way to go. if you get the step thru, you won't have to stress out the trailer hitch when you get on and off the bike. the turris step thru has two downtubes which might make mounting/dismounting a tad more cumbersome (I would guess). The lmt'd is $300 more. If the turris has programmable pas levels like the lmt'd and you prefer off road tires I'd get the turris. If the tourney shifter bothers you, replace it with a altus ($20). If you want street tires, a rear light and a torque sensor pop for the lmt'd. 7 speed vs. 8 speed won't matter with a motor.

Last edited:
That’s what turned me on to the 700series, programmable PAS levels. Though, I could never get over the 18amps limit. That’s why I replaced the controller and display with a 25a KT controller kit. Hills are no problem now.

If (a) you're attracted to the Ride1Up brand, (b) can afford a little more, and (c) enjoy pedaling, give the 750W, 95 Nm LMT'D V2 hub-drive another look for the torque-sensing assist if nothing else.

Ride1Up touts the "advanced" cadence-sensing assist on the Turris, but I'm skeptical that it can match the natural power delivery of a properly implemented torque-sensing system. Combine the latter with a progressive on-demand thumb throttle, and you have a very versatile power delivery system that will really shine in traffic and towing. With the right gearing and tires, you'll have decent offroad and climbing capability as well.

But whatever you do, test before you choose and buy from or through a local shop willing and able to service the entire bike, not just the mechanicals. Aventon has a large dealer network now. Maybe Ride1Up does too.

Testing's especially important WRT the torque- vs. cadence-sensing decision, but it's also important to test the gearing on hills. Ride1Up says nothing about the tooth counts they use, but many hub-drives are geared too high for climbing at a comfortable cadence at low assist (including my friend's Aventon Level.2), and using high assist instead cuts into battery range.

As for step-thru, my wife dared me to try one when we were testing, and it was instant buy-in for me. Now, I'm 75, and you may be a lot more flexible. But if you're wrangling a dog trailer on hills, I bet you'd like the ease of getting on and off. Some worry about frame flexure, but if mine flexes, I haven't noticed, and I ride a lot of bumpy trails.
I'm open to other brands, but R1U seems like the best value.

I think I prefer the tires on the Turris because they seem more versatile for trails or sandy areas. I know I could replace them on the LMT'D but it already costs $300 more than the Turris.

Unfortunately, there's no way to test at a local shop because nobody around here carries them. For affordable bikes, I'm limited to Velotric or Aventon, both with lower specs for higher prices (I thought that the Velotric looked like a hobbyist bike -- big, heavy, clunky bars welded together). I've been able to ride a friend's RadPower bike a couple of times, though. It's about 2 or 3 years old, and has cadence sensing. I didn't notice any issue with it but I don't have anything to compare to. It seems the R1U bikes outclass it in just about every way.

I should have mentioned I'm used to riding a Genuine Buddy scooter, a 170. It's basically like a Vespa but automatic. One thing I don't like about R1U bikes is that the throttle is on the left. Is that standard for ebikes? It seems odd since they're on the right on motorcycles and scooters. Can they be easily moved to the other side?

I think with a 50 llb bike, a trailer, a dog and a hill, any meaningful gearing changes would pretty much render the rest of the gears useless everywhere else. Using the pas levels as gears is the best way to go. if you get the step thru, you won't have to stress out the trailer hitch when you get on and off the bike. the turris step thru has two downtubes which might make mounting/dismounting a tad more cumbersome (I would guess). The lmt'd is $300 more. If the turris has programmable pas levels like the lmt'd and you prefer off road tires I'd get the turris. If the tourney shifter bothers you, replace it with a altus ($20). If you want street tires, a rear light and a torque sensor pop for the lmt'd. 7 speed vs. 8 speed won't matter with a motor.
I think it does...? One review says "pedal assist programming is very smooth and natural feeling compared to other cadence sensor bikes I’ve tried." Which is encouraging in general.

I think with a 50 llb bike, a trailer, a dog and a hill, any meaningful gearing changes would pretty much render the rest of the gears useless everywhere else. Using the pas levels as gears is the best way to go.
Just suggesting to be on the lookout for gearing that's way too high for the OP's intended purpose and hilly terrain.

This is obviously a matter of personal preference for both of us, and no amount of reading will resolve it for the OP and his or her special needs. Getting it right the first time will require testing in some approximation of the target terrain.

I'm open to other brands, but R1U seems like the best value....

Unfortunately, there's no way to test at a local shop because nobody around here carries them.
Then what's your plan for getting the Ride1Up serviced? That day WILL come, and you said yourself that you're "not super mechanically inclined".

The fundamental flaw in D2C ebikes: Many shops won't service bikes they didn't sell, and some won't service ebikes at all for insurance reasons or simply out of fear of a battery fire in or around their store.

Last edited:
I've checked and there are places that will service them, and in fact R1U recommended one. I'm in San Francisco and there are quite a few ebike retailers here, but most are high-end. From what I understand R1Up's D2C business model means that it wouldn't make sense for retailers to stock them, so they focus on the more expensive bikes. I think it would be more of an issue with some cheapo Amazon/Walmart brand. But yes, one SF retailer just stopped selling ebikes altogether because their insurance wouldn't allow it due to fire risk.

It would definitely be ideal if I could test a couple, but that only seems possible at their headquarters in San Diego.

I've checked and there are places that will service them, and in fact R1U recommended one. I'm in San Francisco and there are quite a few ebike retailers here, but most are high-end. From what I understand R1Up's D2C business model means that it wouldn't make sense for retailers to stock them, so they focus on the more expensive bikes. I think it would be more of an issue with some cheapo Amazon/Walmart brand. But yes, one SF retailer just stopped selling ebikes altogether because their insurance wouldn't allow it due to fire risk.

It would definitely be ideal if I could test a couple, but that only seems possible at their headquarters in San Diego.
Good that you can get a Ride1Up serviced. Now you have to address the climbing on hills as steep as some of San Francisco's. (Used to live on Filbert Street a block from the twisty part of Lombard.)

If nothing else, try to test another hub-drive with similar power, torque, and weight and see if it will climb hills like the ones you plan to ride.

One thing I don't like about R1U bikes is that the throttle is on the left.
Mine came like that too. I hated it and installed a half-twist throttle on the right side. I thought it was silly to be a commuter bike, yet have your signaling arm be your throttle hand. I like to signal when I'm approaching and progressing through an intersection.

Moving the thumb throttle to the right side MAY impact the gearshifter. Looking at the photos, it appears that you MAY be able to slip the throttle in between the handlebar grip and the brake lever.

throttle is on the left because with the rear brake AND the rear shifter your thumb couldn't reach the throttle. having it on the left is completely natural. also without wanting to start a huge debate, torque sensors deliver power when, where and how much a firmware engineer sitting at a desk decided, not you per say. a cadence sensor would be like if your buddy had 9 clicks or detents in the grip and each click would ratchet the power up or down. the only difference is youll have to raise your thumb to hit the buttons on the r1up display. its six on one side, half dozen on the other imo. but i bet a bottom bracket torque sensor is more fragile, more expensive and harder to install than the cadence module. also unless you are ripping corners on the dirt those groove E tires work ok off road and a lot better on road.

Thumb throttle on the left — next to the assist and power buttons — feels completely natural to me, and I rode motorcycles for decades. Could be a different story with a twist throttle, I suppose, but doubt it.

I saw Coriz108 mention a Buddy 170i. I have a Buddy 125. I purposely ordered a new 125 because my road use is flat and I don't have good dealer support. No Check Engine Light for me, but I bet your EFI rides smoother. Anyways, I agree with the above concerning a test ride from a comparable ebike. Hub drive doesn't do as well on hills as a mid-drive. But it all depends on what hills your'e trying to climb.

See what the local shops carry and sell the most of. If all they carry is mid-drive then that will tell you something. But then again, most premium brands favor mid-drives. Another idea. Any used comparable ebikes for sale in your area (for a stealth test ride)? And what about local ebike rentals? Pedego usually does rentals by the hour or day.

Let us know what you buy. Ride1Up has made a bit of headway in the marketplace with some nice value ebikes.

Finally, the left thumb throttle will be fine. Unless you intend to never pedal the ebike you'll find yourself not using it as often as you think. We call it the "T" word, but its nice to have it when needed. I'll never own a ebike without one.

I saw Coriz108 mention a Buddy 170i. I have a Buddy 125. I purposely ordered a new 125 because my road use is flat and I don't have good dealer support. No Check Engine Light for me, but I bet your EFI rides smoother. Anyways, I agree with the above concerning a test ride from a comparable ebike. Hub drive doesn't do as well on hills as a mid-drive. But it all depends on what hills your'e trying to climb.

See what the local shops carry and sell the most of. If all they carry is mid-drive then that will tell you something. But then again, most premium brands favor mid-drives. Another idea. Any used comparable ebikes for sale in your area (for a stealth test ride)? And what about local ebike rentals? Pedego usually does rentals by the hour or day.

Let us know what you buy. Ride1Up has made a bit of headway in the marketplace with some nice value ebikes.

Finally, the left thumb throttle will be fine. Unless you intend to never pedal the ebike you'll find yourself not using it as often as you think. We call it the "T" word, but its nice to have it when needed. I'll never own a ebike without one.
I love the 170i. Only problem is that it's in New Mexico and would cost a lot to get it here. That's partly why I'm opting for an e-bike, but at some point might get another Buddy, too, if I feel the e-bike isn't enough.

Good point about rentals. They're all over the place here. I'll check them out. But lots of hub drive bikes for sale in the local shops, including the one nearby that only sells Aventon and Velotric. I guess a lot depends on the routes I take. There are hills and then there are hills. 😄

r1up has a ambassador program, you can contact a local owner for a test ride, also using a youtube/magazine ebike shill for technical guidance may cost you. just sayin;)
Good idea 👍

I guess a lot depends on the routes I take. There are hills and then there are hills.
Exactly. The good news: If you have the time, going a mile out of your way to go around a hill or find a route up that's not too steep is no big deal on an ebike.

Which brings me to ebike exploring. You're gonna have fun poking around SF on an ebike. Going an extra mile to check out something that catches your eye is also no big deal. And if you run short on time, you can just up the assist to get home faster with the same amount of exertion.

Good luck.

Exactly. The good news: If you have the time, going a mile out of your way to go around a hill or find a route up that's not too steep is no big deal on an ebike.

Which brings me to ebike exploring. You're gonna have fun poking around SF on an ebike. Going an extra mile to check out something that catches your eye is also no big deal. And if you run short on time, you can just up the assist to get home faster with the same amount of exertion.

Good luck.
Yup, what he said! Parking is a joke with an ebike. You will find yourself exploring. Only thing that you'll have to do is buy a good lock. Security is the most important part of ebike ownership, especially if exploring unknown areas. Pick a lock for the level of security your area requires, or go up a level and get the best you can afford. Wait, security and a good helmet. I learned the hard way when I fell off my ebike. I still have the bald spot from hitting my head and I broke my favorite pair of glasses. Helmet and lock or lock and helmet. Pick both!

Back