First e-Bike for me..

PeterI

Region
USA
Hello from NC. I have been biking forever and just bought my first e-Bike as a Trek Verve+ 4S. I wanted a bike that could double peddling for fitness, but also enjoy exploring other cities when traveling in my RV. I also bought a Kuat NV Base 2.0 as it pairs well to the additional weight of the bike. I found this forum while searching for an empty (or fake) replacement for the battery holder. I would rather not leave the battery installed while it sits atop the NV Base both for weather/temp and dirt considerations. Seems it would be a good idea to keep the battery inside the cabin, but also protect the battery tube contacts, etc. on the bike as well while transporting. I also picked up a Comnova bike cover to help keep road debris off the bike, but that isn't a guarantee in my mind. So if anyone has crossed that bridge already I would appreciate any advice or ideas you have. Other than that, I think I'm good to go until I have some miles under my belt. Looking forward to learning everything I don't know..!!

1692641933514.png

ciao,
Peter

Hello from NC.... Seems it would be a good idea to keep the battery inside the cabin, but also protect the battery tube contacts, etc. on the bike as well while transporting.
Welcome aboard! Logged nearly 20 years in Charlotte, Durham, and Chapel Hill. Still love the Brunswick County beaches.

The battery compartment issue isn't just electrical. Learned while washing my ebike with the battery removed that the lower battery mount insert inside the downtube is NOT watertight. Pretty sure my contoller and bottom bracket bearings got wet in the process. The latter went on to an early demise.

So, look closely at your battey compartment before exposing any part of it to water.

Welcome aboard! Logged nearly 20 years in Charlotte, Durham, and Chapel Hill. Still love the Brunswick County beaches.

The battery compartment issue isn't just electrical. Learned while washing my ebike with the battery removed that the lower battery mount insert inside the downtube is NOT watertight. Pretty sure my controller and bottom bracket bearings got wet in the process. The latter went on to an early demise.

So, look closely at your battery compartment before exposing any part of it to water.
Great comment. I did find this replacement cover, but if you read the review it kind of says it all. Why doesn't Trek make a fake assembly? (that's of course a rhetorical question...)

Welcome! I would have though the bike cover would have done a good job of protecting your bike from rain and spray but here's a few other suggestions.

From this thread there's the recommendation of a pin cover, kind of like this: https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Battery-Contact-Pin-Cover/dp/B01MXUSRMN. Doesn't look like it will break the bank but check with your dealer regarding fit and effectiveness.

You could try something like a neoprene downtube cover secured firmly at both ends with straps (and chuck some tissue paper in the battery cavity for good measure :p). There's a few about: https://www.amazon.com/Cycling-Battery-Protector-Integrated-Protection/dp/B0BFRL36Q4/. Again, consider if it is the right fit and application for your bike.

If you're going to give the battery compartment this much love don't forget to cover up your Purion display too. I'm sure there are custom silicone covers for those but on my Giant ebike I just throw little plastic bags rubber banded over the screen and controller if rain is on the cards.

I have a couple of those covers that just covers the plug in. I’ve hauled mine in the rain. No problems.

Reading the Trek/Bosch manual it does say "When transporting your e-bike on a car rack, remove the controller and battery from the e-bike and put them in the passenger cabin." Then in the FAQ section... "Q: Can I ride my new e-bike without a battery installed?" "A: Yes, you can ride your e-bike without the battery installed, but you may want to take steps to protect electrical components from water or debris. Your local bike shop can help you order the appropriate parts..." So all this is great advice. However, there are no parts/solution from the manufacturer to solve the concerns given in the advice. I can only hope Trek reads this post (but they won't).

Welcome! I would have though the bike cover would have done a good job of protecting your bike from rain and spray but here's a few other suggestions.

From this thread there's the recommendation of a pin cover, kind of like this: https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Battery-Contact-Pin-Cover/dp/B01MXUSRMN. Doesn't look like it will break the bank but check with your dealer regarding fit and effectiveness.

You could try something like a neoprene downtube cover secured firmly at both ends with straps (and chuck some tissue paper in the battery cavity for good measure :p). There's a few about: https://www.amazon.com/Cycling-Battery-Protector-Integrated-Protection/dp/B0BFRL36Q4/. Again, consider if it is the right fit and application for your bike.

If you're going to give the battery compartment this much love don't forget to cover up your Purion display too. I'm sure there are custom silicone covers for those but on my Giant ebike I just throw little plastic bags rubber banded over the screen and controller if rain is on the cards.

Thanks so much pmcdonald!! These are solid items that should offer a great deal of protection while on the bike rack. Another interesting note is the Trek/Bosch manual also suggests removing the display in addition to the battery. Yet there's no way to easily remove the display, ugh... Again, great suggestions!!

remove the controller
I like Trek products but this terminology is just plain wrong. They are talking about the display, not a controller. A controller is the motherboard and junction box inside the motor housing. A display show things such a power level and is at the handlebar.
controller...............................................................................................................................display
1692822270641.jpeg
1692822349665.jpeg

Another interesting note is the Trek/Bosch manual also suggests removing the display in addition to the battery.
I got caught in a surprise storm yesterday on the commute home. Quickly pulled over and threw some little bags over my screen and remote.

It may be paranoid but Giants are known to be vulnerable to water ingress so I play it safe. Doesn't have to look good, just has to keep water away from the electronics. I treat these components as splash proof, not water proof. YMMV with your Purion.

Sun's out so I'll tear them off again today.

IMG_20230824_074431_edit_416877675785347.jpg

IMG_20230824_074425_edit_416884994110867.jpg

Hello from NC. I have been biking forever and just bought my first e-Bike as a Trek Verve+ 4S. I wanted a bike that could double peddling for fitness, but also enjoy exploring other cities when traveling in my RV. I also bought a Kuat NV Base 2.0 as it pairs well to the additional weight of the bike. I found this forum while searching for an empty (or fake) replacement for the battery holder. I would rather not leave the battery installed while it sits atop the NV Base both for weather/temp and dirt considerations. Seems it would be a good idea to keep the battery inside the cabin, but also protect the battery tube contacts, etc. on the bike as well while transporting. I also picked up a Comnova bike cover to help keep road debris off the bike, but that isn't a guarantee in my mind. So if anyone has crossed that bridge already I would appreciate any advice or ideas you have. Other than that, I think I'm good to go until I have some miles under my belt. Looking forward to learning everything I don't know..!!

View attachment 160939

ciao,
Peter
We purchased Electra Vale GO EQ S e-bikes January of this year. We were also concerned about traveling with nothing to protect the battery compartment. I emailed Kevin Cox from Trek: [email protected] (found email in our booklet that came with our bikes) I asked him what we were supposed to use to protect our battery compartments- he said they do not have a cover from Trek to fit our bikes but said that we could purchase an Bosch e-bike battery contact pin cover thru the REI website & a E-bike Neoprene battery cover that attaches with velcro which we found on Amazon. So far they seem to work satisfactorily for us - but it is a huge disappointment that you spend that much money on an e-bike & they don’t have the necessary covers to protect them from the elements. ☹️

Thought I'd follow up with result from all this good dialog. I went with @pmddonald recommendations so here's result. The pin cover is a no brainer! Here's some pics showing ping cover package, pins exposed, and pins covered with pin cover.

1693183551418.jpeg
1693183595360.jpeg
1693183669477.jpeg

Next is the neoprene downtube cover packaging, as packed, and installed. The only downside with this one is you have to take off the bottle rack. Small price to keep you unit safe and sound... All in all I think this works well for not much $$$.

1693183856391.jpeg

1693183998760.png
1693184065865.jpeg

Want to thank everyone that chimed in. Appreciate the help with this! Love this forum! Hope this helps someone else along the way.

ciao
Peter

Attachments

• 1693183876454.jpeg
    1693183876454.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 70
I have not purchased our bikes yet, so doing quite a bit of research.
Have any of you tried spraying some of your electrical components with a film that waterproofs electronics?
I am used to boating in salt water and we spray all engine components with various products. I.E. Boeshield T9, CRC, Corrosion X ?

Also, do any of you while transporting on bike rack completely cover your bikes? I see them covered on the back of RVs sometimes.

I have not purchased our bikes yet, so doing quite a bit of research.
Have any of you tried spraying some of your electrical components with a film that waterproofs electronics?
I am used to boating in salt water and we spray all engine components with various products. I.E. Boeshield T9, CRC, Corrosion X ?

Also, do any of you while transporting on bike rack completely cover your bikes? I see them covered on the back of RVs sometimes.
@m@Robertson uses Boeshield, he is on the salty coast.
I just purchased this tool because I am tired of the crappy ones that come in kits. The disposable stamped ones are especially hard to use on MTB bikes with wide chain stays.
1696195534800.png

@m@Robertson uses Boeshield, he is on the salty coast.
I am about to switch back to Rock and Roll. I will as soon as I can get off my duff and re-lube the chain. Boeshield is an excellent lubricant that definitely lasts longer than Rock and Roll, which I have been using for many years. However it turns to black gook on the chain over time (I've done three applications over the last few months) and my formerly stainless chain is now black with the stuff. Wel-lubed and black, sans grime deposits so Boeshield does not appear to attract dust, but just touching the chain yields blackened fingers or body parts, and my covered lock chain's end that wraps around the frame next to the chain is going black itself fast.

I got spoiled by the combination of solvent and lube that is Rock and Roll. It never really changes color and stays clear, and the act of applying it is followed straightaway by wiping it off, so the chain has less stuff on it anyway..

Back