E-bike Newbie

LBP

Region
Canada
Hello All. New member looking for some guidance on purchasing my first e-bike. Full disclosure have zero knowledge of e-bikes. I’ve done some internet research and visited a coupe shops to check out a few bikes that I’m interested in. As background, I live in Alberta Canada, am a very recent senior, 5’6” and it’s been quite a while since I’ve ridden a bike, of any kind. Pretty active outdoors so looking to expand my exercise routine.

From my research to date I’ve narrowed my list to ether the Specialized Turbo Como 5.0 IGH, the Como 4.0 IGH, the Gazelle Ultimate C380 or TuffHill (local manufacturer). I really like the Specialized 5.0 but after reading some of the comments on the Specialized products, seems the software has a few issue more so than the bike. My criteria is for a medium frame, belt drive, mid motor and battery >500Wh.

Would appreciate any recommendations and comments or other bikes I should consider.

You should take a look at the Vado 4.0. It is a great bike, and I have owned mine for 1 1/2 years and ZERO problems....nothing. I currently have 3200 miles on it, and recently had a LBS check-up. All they did was greased the chain and sent me packing.....lol. Also, this is not my only ebike, but it is my favorite. Hope that helps......

Hello All. New member looking for some guidance on purchasing my first e-bike. Full disclosure have zero knowledge of e-bikes. I’ve done some internet research and visited a coupe shops to check out a few bikes that I’m interested in. As background, I live in Alberta Canada, am a very recent senior, 5’6” and it’s been quite a while since I’ve ridden a bike, of any kind. Pretty active outdoors so looking to expand my exercise routine.

From my research to date I’ve narrowed my list to ether the Specialized Turbo Como 5.0 IGH, the Como 4.0 IGH, the Gazelle Ultimate C380 or TuffHill (local manufacturer). I really like the Specialized 5.0 but after reading some of the comments on the Specialized products, seems the software has a few issue more so than the bike. My criteria is for a medium frame, belt drive, mid motor and battery >500Wh.

Would appreciate any recommendations and comments or other bikes I should consider.
Either a chain/derailleur Specialized e-bike or a 2023 Gazelle C380 with Smart System.

My advice:

Test ride as many bikes as you can. Travel to do this if you have to. Every rider has different needs and there is a huge difference in comfort level between bikes.

Unless you're able to do your own work, buy from a reputable LBS (Local Bike Shop).

Consider a step thru model. You may be able to swing your leg over a ladder frame bike now but consider the future. E-bikes can be an expensive investment and you'll want to ride for as many years as possible.

How will you transport your bike? Consider an appropriate rack that is compatible with your bike & vehicle.

Don't hesitate to ask more specific questions. The good folks here are more than willing to help!

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your quest to find the perfect ride!

I like your choices LBP, inasmuch as I have no first hand experience with the ones on your list. I'll only add that I've been spoiled by belt drive IGH (Priority Current, and Evelo Omega) and don't think I want to go back to a derailleur again, whatever the upside of those might be.

Thanks for the response and recommendations. Have been reading a lot from this forum and feel I've learned so much about the nuances of e-bike ownership. I've also visited the local LBS's who had a couple Specialized Turbo in stock in the medium and small frames. Appears at 5'6" I'm in between sizes (go figure, story of my life, lol). Had a chance to test both and was impressed with the ride. I like the upright position very much but the shape of the handlebars was interesting. Not sure how you'd attached a cell phone mount to those. Also got to test out the chain drive, and while it was a good ride, the belt version was more my preference. I think the medium frame felt the most comfortable although the seat position had to be lowered most of the way down.

Tomorrow I'll be checking out a couple more LBS's in the city (about 40 km's from home one-way) so not that far. They also have the Specialized and Gazelle brands although not the current year models. But should give me a good indication of fit and feel. I'll check out as many models as I can (both chain and belt) and see where that ends up. Eager to test out the Gazelle C380 which they have in stock albeit 2022 model. All the LBS's I contacted did say the newer model inventory is very low and may be difficult to order depending on specific models/colors. I don't want to order online as I prefer to spend my money locally.

So we'll see what happens and maybe I'll luck out and find my perfect e-bike. Will let you know how that turns out.

I think the medium frame felt the most comfortable although the seat position had to be lowered most of the way down.

Tomorrow I'll be checking out a couple more LBS's in the city (about 40 km's from home one-way) so not that far. They also have the Specialized and Gazelle brands although not the current year models. But should give me a good indication of fit and feel. I'll check out as many models as I can (both chain and belt) and see where that ends up. Eager to test out the Gazelle C380 which they have in stock albeit 2022 model. All the LBS's I contacted did say the newer model inventory is very low and may be difficult to order depending on specific models/colors. I don't want to order online as I prefer to spend my money locally.
I don't think 2022 vs. 2023 matters per se, as it would possibly for a car (especially in terms of resale value, which is close to a non-issue for a bike). I would ask if the Dutch owned Gazelle is speed limited to comply with European regulations, which is 15.5 MPH. Somebody here probably knows the answer to that.
Personally, I would prefer a seat that sits closer to the frame as long as I had full leg extension for pedaling. That's why the medium sounds like a better fit for you.

Generally that’s true but the Gazelle C380 had a couple significant upgrades for 2023 over 2022, including a larger battery. European regulations would not matter as I live in Canada although we do also have a speed restriction of 32 kph. Agree on the seat position, just think it feels right in my case.

Just learned that one of my LBS has just received a medium frame 2023 Gazelle Ultimate C380 in the Mallard Blue and, as it happens, has a medium frame 2022 in a Light Olive color. Will be looking at both of them later on today. In comparing the differences, as mentioned in my last post, there are a few, most notably torque, Bosch system and battery 625Wh compared to 500Wh. Taking into consideration the "Bosch Smart System is vital" comment my questions would be (1) what makes it superior over the Kiox 300? and (2) What advantages does the higher watt hour battery give you? When I compare Gazelle distance data there's not really a significance between the two. Matter of fact Gazelle publishes the 2023 as having less distance, possibly because of the higher torque motor 75/65 Nm? And yes, I take the point that you need to take this data with a large amount of salt. Looking more from a technical standpoint.

Now with all this about the Gazelle, I haven't give up on the Specialized Turbo 5.0 just yet although the AutomatiQ is still questionable in my mind. However, positives, larger battery, bit more technology and really nice comfy riding position, for me at least.

Appreciate any comments on the technical questions I'm posing.

Taking into consideration the "Bosch Smart System is vital" comment my questions would be (1) what makes it superior over the Kiox 300?
First of all, here's a good riding:
Secondly, the previous Bosch E-Bike system is 8 years old, and it is light-years in e-bike technology.

(2) What advantages does the higher watt hour battery give you?
  • Longer rides, or
  • Less frequent recharging = better longevity
When I compare Gazelle distance data there's not really a significance between the two.
Please stop reading marketing materials :) With exactly the same assistance, the use of Wh/km is the same disregarding the max torque or max peak motor power (the max parameters will just make your climbs easier). Now, with climbing involved, you start appreciating the big battery.

I haven't give up on the Specialized Turbo 5.0 just yet although the AutomatiQ is still questionable in my mind.
If you could try it out, it is not a bad idea at all. I come to the conclusion early adopters (besides: very vocal people) have not tried to understand how the Enviolo AutomatiQ really worked.

OK, have read the Bosch material and all sounds impressive. I am a firm believer in new technology but not so sure I’d want to be the guinea pig (reference early adopter for the AutomatiQ). New technology generally comes with a period of gremlins until enough real world adopters give the engineers enough feedback to work the bugs out.

As for paying too much attention to marketing material couldn’t agree more. In these times of social media it’s often difficult to know what to believe. You Tube might be the prime example where most content creators are paid channel sponsorships in exchange for promoting their product. Capitalism at its finest.

It would be terrific if I could try out the latest Como 5.0, or 4.0 IGH but unfortunately can’t seem to find an LBS who has one. The closest advised they could order one (only 3 medium frames available) but would be a ”final sale”. But again I really liked the previous year model I rode, without the AutomatiQ. It’s also $400 cheaper but that’s a non-issue decision point.

I think the bottom line decision will hinge on which brand will give me the less trouble according to the marketing material 😂

I do not think there is anything endemically problematic with the Enviolo Automatiq. I have it on my Evelo Omega and it works like a charm. Evelo uses it on two or three other models without meaningful complaints judging by Evelo's message boards. It arguably works too well though. I sometimes miss the control and sportiness of shifting, which is why I still ride my Priority Current with the Shimano IGH half the time.

Well, recently back from the LBS that had the 2023 models of the Gazelle C380 and Specialized products albeit not the Como 5.0. It did however have the 2023 Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH with the AutomatiQ. Needless to say I had a great time riding as many as I could in the time I had, both belt and chain models. Legs muscles are a little painful this morning. Bottom line, I liked them all in some ways and had preferences in other ways. The Vado 5.0 with the AutomatiQ was quite smooth and I really liked that bike excepting the step over frame, red color and price. I did ask the shop owner what he thought of it and he said hadn’t sold enough to get any customer feedback.

The Gazelle was really quiet, shifted smoothly but I found the seat setup somewhat mediocre (should have kept the suspension seat for 2023). Might have to change that out. Riding position was not as upright as the Specialized although with the handlebars pulled all the way forward it was not uncomfortable.

So, after much debate with my son, who also tested the bikes, I pulled the trigger on the Gazelle. Time will tell if that was the right decision. Looking forward to many years of riding.

Congrats! There really are no 'perfect' bikes, and most of the list (no clue on your local builder/model mentioned) are from known quality companies and components.
My wife's Gazelle is still going strong, and while there's always some question of 'maybe I should have <bought X> or <changed component>' that's true of nearly all purchases. The Gazelle should give you many miles of fun and riding.

I have not heard from an unhappy owner of the new Gazelle yet :) (You can add the suspension seat-post yourself).
Congratulations!

Hello LPB,
Welcome to EBR check in often. You mentioned you'll be purchasing your first e-Bike. If I may share my story with the sole purpose
of offering encouragement.

Six year ago I was in the exact same situation you're in.... I didn't know an e-bike from a pound of cheese. I rode a Trek Carbon Hybrid
traditional bike. I'd been to my Local Bike Shop several times, While have service done on my Hybrid I kept eyeing a
Trek XM700 Commuter e-Bike. (Class 3 )

My sales rep said " Take it for a ride"...I was a bit hesitant because deep down inside I was 'afraid' I'd like the bike, then what ? but I did.
I went for a 20-30 minute ride. I know immediately the bike and the whole e-Bike era was for me ! I rode back to the shop and bought the Trek !
I even liked the bike so much I bought a Trek Powerfly7 e-MTB for Rails to Trails riding several months later without even a test.
I trusted my dealer..And I love that bike a well. I consider myself very fortunate.

Six years later and 11,000 trouble free miles combined on both bikes, I couldn't be happier. Every ride is like that first test ride
six long years ago. I'm absolutely not saying to do your homework. You have to be in your comfort zone with whatever
you do and choose. I was and still am. My e-bike investment was the best money I've ever spent and I'm certain you'll
feel the same way.

Good luck and all the best,
John

I like it!
Same with me I, bought my 1st emtb from a reputable ebike dealer in 2020.
It was during covid 19 and golf courses were closed on the entire island. I needed to get out and turn my legs. The old stump jumper Specialized was not cutting it. I went and bought a full suspension Emtb. I had my eyes on the Bulls 45 all mountain and I read, watch video review from Court here on EBR and I ordered it surprisingly during that time it arrived fully assembled within 3 weeks.
It is approaching 7k miles to date.
Then last year I purchased a Biktrix for secondary emtb. It was am impulse purchased because of the hype i read on Bafang Ultra here on EBR.
Imnhappy with both bikes and the support team. Things break and parts fail. I'm confident on mending mechanical issues. Electrical stuff I have to take it to the dealer. My Bulls is already on #3 Brose.
Hey 'Rome,'
Good for you !! Sounds like you're completely into and enjoying this whole wonderful e-Bike 'Thing ' : ) Isn't it great. ..There are so many
excellent e-bikes as I'm sure your know. For me it truly is the first time riding every time I ride. Such a joy. Thanks for your great reply.

Keep on rollin',
John

Well did my first ride today, having had pouring rain since I bought the bike, not sure if that’s an omen or not. Did a 15.5 km ride, first bike ride in, I’m guessing 50 years. While it was a “learning the bike ride”, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Figured out Eco mode was a bit too tame, Auto worked great and Turbo was a bit zippy for a first ride. The Kiox 300 display is a bit small so I decided the Bosch smartphone grip is a must once I attach my iPhone 14 Pro Max. Should be here in about a week. Best thing though, I get to do it all over again tomorrow. Quick question, does anyone else find the bike manual a total waste of paper (in all 12 languages), that’s my assessment of the Gazelle owners manual.

Anyway, appreciate all the responses while wrestling with what bike to purchase. I think I made a good purchase.

so I decided the Bosch smartphone grip is a must once I attach my iPhone 14 Pro Max.
Please don't unless you have money to burn for a next iPhone :) Perhaps you could use an older, inexpensive phone instead?
Glad to hear of your adventures!

Back