Considering a Specialized, got a few questions

It's a bit of a pain that I have to remove the front wheel before it goes in the hatch, but no big problem. Bigger challenge is lifting it into the car by myself. With two people you can lift at both ends, but by myself it takes serious leverage to ease it in.

So I'm considering a rack. Does anybody have any insights on how well a Saris Superclamp EX rack would work with the Vado's fenders? My brother wants to sell me his, but he's 900mi away so I can't test it for a while.

It's a bit of a pain that I have to remove the front wheel before it goes in the hatch, but no big problem. Bigger challenge is lifting it into the car by myself. With two people you can lift at both ends, but by myself it takes serious leverage to ease it in.

So I'm considering a rack. Does anybody have any insights on how well a Saris Superclamp EX rack would work with the Vado's fenders? My brother wants to sell me his, but he's 900mi away so I can't test it for a while.
I do it by myself. But perhaps my method may help. I don't take the front wheel off until after I have lifted the back wheel into the hatch. Then most of the weight is in the vehicle. Then I can easily take the front wheel off, and maneuver the thing around to make it all fit. This may make it easier.

That *is* smarter than taking the wheel off on the ground -- thanks, I'll do that. But levitating the bike into the hatch is still a grunt.

That *is* smarter than taking the wheel off on the ground -- thanks, I'll do that. But levitating the bike into the hatch is still a grunt.
Agreed, but I think this will be less awkward, and the rack has the same issue (but could be a few inches lower).

Same issue?? I can lift the bike right into a rack. It's right in front of me, very little leverage required. But getting it into the hatch means holding it by one end, holding it out lengthwise, while jockeying it into the hatch. Much MUCH more leverage and effort, unless I McGyver some kind of rolling cradle to support the far end. Am I missing something obvious?

Hm, it looks like the Saris Superclamp EX is not a good match with fenders...

Same issue?? I can lift the bike right into a rack. It's right in front of me, very little leverage. But getting it into the hatch means holding it by one end, holding it out lengthwise, while jockeying it into the hatch. Much MUCH more leverage and effort, unless I McGyver some kind of rolling cradle to support the far end. Am I missing something obvious?

Hm, it looks like the Saris Superclamp EX is not a good match with fenders...
My rack may be different. I have to load one wheel into its compartment which is awkward. then I have to kind of move the bike "in" enough to get the second wheel on. Each wheel has its own cradle. There aren't all that many racks that support the weight of E-bikes.

Yeah that would be more awkward than just lifting right into the cradles. Still not as bad as lifting the bike by one end IMHO.

Yeah that would be more awkward than just lifting right into the cradles. Still not as bad as lifting the bike by one end IMHO.
Give it a try. This is my rack that I bought only because it would support both a recumbent and an e-bike.

It is about a wash, but just getting the rack on and off, leashing it up etc.... takes time. I can't leave the rack on permanently because it won't fit in the garage. So for me I much prefer the hatch method.

I'd be a lot more interested in that rack, except I just gave away my old recumbent. 😁

Hadn't considered garage clearance, but I think I'm OK there.

I'd be a lot more interested in that rack, except I just gave away my old recumbent. 😁

Hadn't considered garage clearance, but I think I'm OK there.
I haven't ridden the recumbent since I bought this bike, but I may someday for longer rides.

My garage just isn't that long. My other car is a van that fits in with less than 2' to spare, so I can't do that with this rack.

Re: Shepard‘s hook carriers and fenders. I have a Como with fenders and a Quat hitch carrier. Works great, I’ve driven probably 5,000 miles with two Comos on the hitch carrier with no problems at all.

I put the hook on the front tire and against the front edge of the fender.

Mounting / dismounting and storing the 52# rack in the garage adds a different kind of hassle but the the bikes are secure and easy to load and unload.

Hm. I think my brother has a Kuat and I didn't think it would work -- I remember the hooks going over the top-ish of the wheels. That would work for the front wheel but def not the rear. But I haven't seen his rack since last summer so I'm not sure.

Hey, new question: last week I got an email from Specialized with my "Monthly Ride Activity." It's a quick summary of my rides last month. There's a button that says "View All Activity" but it just takes you to the "Download the app" page. Do they actually have ride stats on the website, or is that app-only?

My Kuat only has a hook for the front wheel. A plastic strap loops around the bottom of the rear wheel to hold the back down. The hook works with the front fender because the front edge of the fender is only a little bit forward of the fork. A rear hook would never work with a rear fender.

Ah. My brother has a Kuat, but the one he wants to sell to me is a Saris Superclamp EX. And that one has hooks front and rear.

Maybe I'm wrong about a two hook carrier not working with rear fenders. Click on the link, the saris website shows a bike with fenders on their rack.

Under product design they state ...
  • Adjustable arms and wheel trays fit almost any type of bicycle, including those with fenders, mountain bikes and ebikes; bike spacing accommodates widest combination of bicycles.

Yeah, and I posted a question there. They answered and said "if it weighs less than 60 lbs and has a 50" wheelbase it'll work." Hello? I *asked* about the fenders ... I don't see how those hooks would work with the rear fender.

Back