First e-Bike for me..

Have any of you tried spraying some of your electrical components with a film that waterproofs electronics?
I use a thin layer of dielectric grease on each of my (supposedly) waterproof higo wiring connections. Just a teeny dab. For thingds like throttle and display while riding in the rain, I use bags and rubber bands, with an eye towards protecting the device itself, and wherever the cables go in from direct spray. To a point, Saran Wrap or similar wrapped over itself can work better on a throttle or PAS panel than a ziploc bag and rubber bands. Best to just experiment and see what holds up better during use.

If your display is not IP65 or better, a dab of silicone weather sealant or Shoegoo that is then formed to wrap around the cable ingress point makes for a permanent seal. This works particularly well on Bafang hub motors whose cable runs straight into an unsealed motor thru a hollow axle.

After many years, have never had an electrical connection issue from water ingress. I did have a really lousy Saturday when I opened up a hub motor and saw it was all orange inside from water coming in from the hollow axle. But a few hours and a tub of elbow grease later it was good as new.

Also, do any of you while transporting on bike rack completely cover your bikes? I see them covered on the back of RVs sometimes.
You want to take care not to create a drogue chute back there. Lots of wind will come back over and around the sides of a bike on the back of a car vs. a full size motorhome. Best to approach the task as you have by working on individual items and don't try and cover the whole schmeer.

I am about to switch back to Rock and Roll. I will as soon as I can get off my duff and re-lube the chain. Boeshield is an excellent lubricant that definitely lasts longer than Rock and Roll, which I have been using for many years. However it turns to black gook on the chain over time (I've done three applications over the last few months) and my formerly stainless chain is now black with the stuff. Wel-lubed and black, sans grime deposits so Boeshield does not appear to attract dust, but just touching the chain yields blackened fingers or body parts, and my covered lock chain's end that wraps around the frame next to the chain is going black itself fast.

I got spoiled by the combination of solvent and lube that is Rock and Roll. It never really changes color and stays clear, and the act of applying it is followed straightaway by wiping it off, so the chain has less stuff on it anyway..
Thanks, not familiar with Rock and Roll. Will definitely look into it for the chain. Took a quick look and seems there is regular and extreme, which do you prefer? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks, I live a block off the beach so we have salt in the air 24/7 and it coats everything. The extreme will probably be better for me too.
they have the holy cow too but it wants t one warm to use it and that does not work for me in the winter.

Thanks, I live a block off the beach so we have salt in the air 24/7 and it coats everything. The extreme will probably be better for me too.
Yes I have used Extreme and Gold in the big sizes for years and tried one little bottle of the Holy Cow. Holy Cow is the only one I would not buy again. I use the stuff in a very dry inland climate, as well as a beachside climate. Gold and the Extreme both seem to work fine anywhere. The Holy Cow works but needs re-application too quickly. Extreme is going to be the safe choice. It works fine in dry weather and stays on a little better if it rains.

Its probably going to take a few cycles of application to get that damn Boeshield off. We'll see. You really appreciate the solvent/lube-in-one combination of Rock And Roll when you move away from it and see the alternative. It was nice to have the very slick and long lasting Boeshield effect but its not worth the grimy chain.

Thought I'd follow up with result from all this good dialog. I went with @pmddonald recommendations so here's result. The pin cover is a no brainer! Here's some pics showing ping cover package, pins exposed, and pins covered with pin cover.

View attachment 161503View attachment 161504View attachment 161505

Next is the neoprene downtube cover packaging, as packed, and installed. The only downside with this one is you have to take off the bottle rack. Small price to keep you unit safe and sound... All in all I think this works well for not much $$$.

View attachment 161506
View attachment 161508View attachment 161509

Want to thank everyone that chimed in. Appreciate the help with this! Love this forum! Hope this helps someone else along the way.

ciao
Peter
Peter L
Find the correct size of pool noodle, cut to length and stuff into the channel,
then cover, it's what I do with my Bikonit MD 750 ebike, several hundred miles via rough 4x4 roads and no problems so far.
I cover my battery holes with HD black plastic sheeting cut to size to fit and secure with duct tape, bungee cords, keeps water/dust out of the hole area.

Thought I'd follow up with result from all this good dialog. I went with @pmddonald recommendations so here's result. The pin cover is a no brainer! Here's some pics showing ping cover package, pins exposed, and pins covered with pin cover.

View attachment 161503View attachment 161504View attachment 161505

Next is the neoprene downtube cover packaging, as packed, and installed. The only downside with this one is you have to take off the bottle rack. Small price to keep you unit safe and sound... All in all I think this works well for not much $$$.

View attachment 161506
View attachment 161508View attachment 161509

Want to thank everyone that chimed in. Appreciate the help with this! Love this forum! Hope this helps someone else along the way.

ciao
Peter
This looks great!

Back