First e-bike purchase help! Please :)

melmb

Hello! Excited to be on the hunt for my very first E bike. I was hoping to spend around $2500 or less but I did find a 2019 gazelle cityzen T9 for $3300 CDN (on sale from $4,000+) that I do really like (Besides the colour). Is this a good buy? I do live at the top of a very steep but shortish hill. I bike to work as a commute and it is about 24 km each way with a long hill at the end. I am trying not to arrive to work drenched in sweat anymore! And I want to make my commute quicker and more fun. I think the class 3 bikes are not allowed on the bike paths in Vancouver BC so aiming for a class 1. Willing to spend the $3,300 for for something that with last and is good quality. Thanks for your help and advice!

Nice bike! The propensity here is for respondents to suggest the bike they chose. I suggest you buy the bike that you’ve ridden and like best. Any of the Bosch motors will handle your hill in style! 24k or 15 miles one way on an 11Ah battery may well mean charging at work. But m viewing on my iPad and not all the specs are showing up, so I’m not clear on the battery size. But those Bosch motors are thrifty! MOST important that you are. Onfortable. Next your shop is supportive and have a good track record and have been brick and mortar for a good number of years.

Nice bike! The propensity here is for respondents to suggest the bike they chose. I suggest you buy the bike that you’ve ridden and like best. Any of the Bosch motors will handle your hill in style! 24k or 15 miles one way on an 11Ah battery may well mean charging at work. But m viewing on my iPad and not all the specs are showing up, so I’m not clear on the battery size. But those Bosch motors are thrifty! MOST important that you are. Onfortable. Next your shop is supportive and have a good track record and have been brick and mortar for a good number of years.

OK! Thank you so much for your input. I tend to ride in the pouring rain fairly often. Is that a concern with an E bike?

It is a nice bike. I like Gazelles - I have a "muscle" powered one (not that I use it much anymore).

I note that 2020 T9's show a lower price of $2499 USD (roughly $3300 CDN). Difference between the 19's and 20's????

I accidently submerged my bosch driven bike in an underpass on a bike path. The bike did shut off, and after I waded me and the bike back to dry ground
waited 3 or 4 minutes turned it back on and it's been fine.

OK! Thank you so much for your input. I tend to ride in the pouring rain fairly often. Is that a concern with an E bike?
I don’t own this bike but do I own Bosch bikes equipped with the Purion and Intuvia displays and Performance Line/Active Line motors. I have biked in a lot of rain, flooded out trails and mud. No problems to date. I try to be sensible by wrapping thin plastic grocery bags around the display if it’s really pouring. I wipe the bike down when I get inside. Thus far, no electrical problems or premature bearing wear. It all sounds and works like day one.

It is a nice bike. I like Gazelles - I have a "muscle" powered one (not that I use it much anymore).

I note that 2020 T9's show a lower price of $2499 USD (roughly $3300 CDN). Difference between the 19's and 20's????
Good point! Although I always notice the price in the shops seems to be higher than what I see online. Anyone know the difference between the two? Or see the CDN price for a 2020 t9 in a shop?

Good point! Although I always notice the price in the shops seems to be higher than what I see online. Anyone know the difference between the two? Or see the CDN price for a 2020 t9 in a shop?
According to this, it’s the exact same bike, just priced lower for 2020. Listen for just a couple of minutes:

According to this, it’s the exact same bike, just priced lower for 2020. Listen for just a couple of minutes:

awesome thanks! Yes. I actually called and talked to someone from gazelle the same Cityzen t9 will be carried through to mid 2020 for a reduced price. So no rush to get one at the “sale” price then. They will be $3,300 CDN for the next few months. Seems like a decent price for the bike?

awesome thanks! Yes. I actually called and talked to someone from gazelle the same Cityzen t9 will be carried through to mid 2020 for a reduced price. So no rush to get one at the “sale” price then. They will be $3,300 CDN for the next few months. Seems like a decent price for the bike?
Another $500 gets you the 10sp/28mph version, btw. Good prices for either model.

Awesome. Thanks. It’s a 13.4 ah battery :)

I don’t own this bike but do I own Bosch bikes equipped with the Purion and Intuvia displays and Performance Line/Active Line motors. I have biked in a lot of rain, flooded out trails and mud. No problems to date. I try to be sensible by wrapping thin plastic grocery bags around the display if it’s really pouring. I wipe the bike down when I get inside. Thus far, no electrical problems or premature bearing wear. It all sounds and works like day one.
Good to know! I generally pressure wash my bikes to clean them. Might not go that far with an e bike haha

Good to know! I generally pressure wash my bikes to clean them. Might not go that far with an e bike haha
HI ! Rain is no problem for your Bosch but I do not aim the hose at the motor if I can help it. Your max speed is 30km by law here of course but there is such a thing as a delimiter. This will void your warranty. THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION IS : Are you buying from a dealer that can provide you with good service because ebikes will need more frequent service than acoustic bikes. I love my LBS service dept. They keep me rolling rolling rolling down the river that is Raincouver.

Last edited:
HI ! Rain is no problem for your Bosch but I do not aim the hose at the motor if I can help it. Your max speed is 32km by law here of course but there is such a thing as a delimiter. This will void your warranty. THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION IS : Are you buying from a dealer that can provide you with good service because ebikes will need more frequent service than acoustic bikes. I love my LBS service dept. They keep my rolling rolling rolling down the river that is Raincouver.

Great! I was planning on buying from Cit-E-Cycles. I think they are reputable! Who do you recommend?

Great! I was planning on buying from Cit-E-Cycles. I think they are reputable! Who do you recommend?
I only have (Ebike) experience with these service departments in descending order of preference :Trek Bikes Coquitlam, Caps Bikes Port Moody, Kinetic Cycles Coquitlam, Ride- on Tri cities, Cite-cycles Surrey.

I accidently submerged my bosch driven bike in an underpass on a bike path. The bike did shut off, and after I waded me and the bike back to dry ground
waited 3 or 4 minutes turned it back on and it's been fine.
If you submerged a Bosch motor, you might want to watch this video.

One more question regarding this bike - does anyone know if it will work with a bike trailer (the ones to pull kids around in)? I think they attach through the middle of the wheel and it doesn't work with all bikes i don't think? Thanks!
Melissa

Back