First e-bike purchase help! Please :)

Looks like there’s a bonus to visiting this shop: a museum!
Oh yeah they have some crazy old bikes for sure like this side by side tandem.
1576823606880.png

Last edited:
Oh yeah they have some crazy old bikes for sure like this side by side tandem.View attachment 42914
Took the plunge today!! Here she is! Thanks for your help everyone. I think she is a good bike for a fair price ... now she just needs a name 😃
congratulations, and that was fast! You were supposed to demand:

- must be light, below 20kg preferable
- must be fast, need to do 50kmph for commute
- must have range of 25km for commute at stated speed
- must fold
- must be inexpensive

Then hold @steve mercier hostage until you got what you wanted.

No I don’t!
Well I have a well used MEC Burley Bee that you can have for $20. It is faded and the velco is tired but works fine. My grandaughter hates getting strapped in to carseats and bikeseats so I don't need it. If you want it you can send me a message using the inbox.

Last edited:
Took the plunge today!! Here she is! Thanks for your help everyone. I think she is a good bike for a fair price ... now she just needs a name 😃

Looks like a nice ride, enjoy!

Now for you to decide if you're just going to "charge and forget" and replace your battery a little more frequently, or engage in a little in the way of best charging practices and replace your battery a little less frequently. :)

That reminds me that today I encountered a guy with the identical bike to mine. We bought them around the same time too, from the same store about 14 months ago. His bike was still like brand new and clean as a whistle. As he was removing it from his car rack while the battery was still off I noticed that he had plug covers over the terminals. He said did not want them to get wet. I realized this gentleman was clearly more fastidious than I could ever be. I felt like a bit of a slob standing there with a bike that was covered in sand and mud, with plenty of paint scratches. So if the shoe fits I must wear it. On the other hand I have racked up 20 times the mileage he has and it seems like a waste not to ride the hell out of a good bike. His was still so pretty though. It felt like going to a reunion where I was the only one that had aged.

Last edited:
Well I have a well used MEC Burley Bee that you can have for $20. It is faded and the velco is tired but works fine. My grandaughter hates getting strapped in to carseats and bikeseats so I don't need it. If you want it you can send me a message using the inbox.
Thank you so much! I don’t need one quiet yet. Just wanted to make sure the bike could have one! Merry Christmas

Looks like a nice ride, enjoy!

Now for you to decide if you're just going to "charge and forget" and replace your battery a little more frequently, or engage in a little in the way of best charging practices and replace your battery a little less frequently. :)
Any tips to save the battery are appreciated!

Any tips to save the battery are appreciated!

There are lots of threads about it here. A very, very, very brief overview of best practices includes:

- give the battery at least a half hour or so to come up to room temperature in the winter (or down to room temperature in the summer) before recharging; avoid charging when the battery is cold, such as in the shed in the winter
- avoid the battery sitting around in direct sunlight on a hot day, by locking it up in the shade, storing it away from windows, etc.
- try to avoid draining the battery below 20%
- try to avoid charging it above 80%, such as using a wall timer to stop it from charging after a certain period of time
- if you must charge above 80% (such as for a very long ride), do so as close to right before the ride as is convenient (as opposed to the night before), as storing the battery at 100% charge is damaging to its longevity
- consider using a timer that you put into the wall, so that you can set the charger up to start in the morning of the ride, so that it's good to go once you finish your breakfast (or whatever time of day you need it)

Look up the threads on this site for all the reasons why these are best practices, if you're curious. And I recommend you only do the best practices that are convenient to you, don't get so stressed about it that you're not enjoying using the bike anymore! :) Better to enjoy the bike, even if you're not treating it optimally, than to not want to use the bike for fear of recharging it being a hassle, eh?

There are lots of threads about it here. A very, very, very brief overview of best practices includes:

- give the battery at least a half hour or so to come up to room temperature in the winter (or down to room temperature in the summer) before recharging; avoid charging when the battery is cold, such as in the shed in the winter
- avoid the battery sitting around in direct sunlight on a hot day, by locking it up in the shade, storing it away from windows, etc.
- try to avoid draining the battery below 20%
- try to avoid charging it above 80%, such as using a wall timer to stop it from charging after a certain period of time
- if you must charge above 80% (such as for a very long ride), do so as close to right before the ride as is convenient (as opposed to the night before), as storing the battery at 100% charge is damaging to its longevity
- consider using a timer that you put into the wall, so that you can set the charger up to start in the morning of the ride, so that it's good to go once you finish your breakfast (or whatever time of day you need it)

Look up the threads on this site for all the reasons why these are best practices, if you're curious. And I recommend you only do the best practices that are convenient to you, don't get so stressed about it that you're not enjoying using the bike anymore! :) Better to enjoy the bike, even if you're not treating it optimally, than to not want to use the bike for fear of recharging it being a hassle, eh?
Awesome!! Thanks so much. I did just store it fully charged for a few days but hopefully it’s all good. :) thanks!

Back