Finally in the elite club of EBikers!!!

Rogonus

Region
USA
Hi, and happy EBiking!

I just got my Priority Current. Hope to put some miles on it soon. I'm down in the Rio Grande Valley of Tx. , just minutes from Mexico. Pretty flat riding everywhere. I have a leg injury now that makes it painful to bend my leg much. With the seat up all the way I get pretty good extension though. I think the pedaling motion is going to be good therapy.
Was thinking that if I had any real trouble though, I'd like to have a throttle to get me home. Sadly, there is no throttle with the Current.
I saw a couple of videos on youtube showing how to add a throttle, so figured it would be something I could add later.

Now it seems I am finding out the Chinese manufacturer is no longer making a throttle.
I read where the throttle assembly is available from TruckRun, as the guys who researched getting it said so. I had texted Priority and they said "The Motor and battery are Priority Bicycles and I'm sorry they are not Throttle compatible."

So now I wonder if it will ruin something in the electronics if I try to add a throttle?
Anyone have any experience with determining someting like this?

Still planning to move on with the power of electricity!

Thx for the encouragement man!
Looks like I am going to be moving mine round and round and hoping it heals well. Nothing like a good ride I say!

Thx for the encouragement man!
Looks like I am going to be moving mine round and round and hoping it heals well. Nothing like a good ride I say!
used the leg to bring the peddle back up. it was weird but doable. no clue how Cracked it.

Was thinking that if I had any real trouble though, I'd like to have a throttle to get me home. Sadly, there is no throttle with the Current.
Seriously. How many miles have you already ridden on your Current to even consider any need of the throttle?

I have only put maybe 30 miles on my bike. I can continue using it while injured while I ride only in the park where I live, however if I want to expand my horizons...I would be stupid to think if I pedaled way out and if my leg worsened, that I could get back without a throttle to rescue me. Hence the heavy consideration of a throttle. I do love the way the current rides/works with assist. Was not sure I would even want a throttle. But things change...sometimes quicker than we wish.
BTW, what is "S-Works"?

I have only put maybe 30 miles on my bike. I can continue using it while injured while I ride only in the park where I live, however if I want to expand my horizons...I would be stupid to think if I pedaled way out and if my leg worsened, that I could get back without a throttle to rescue me. Hence the heavy consideration of a throttle. I do love the way the current rides/works with assist. Was not sure I would even want a throttle. But things change...sometimes quicker than we wish.
BTW, what is "S-Works"?
S-Works is the sub-brand of Specialized that makes the most expensive bikes and e-bikes. It was a kind of joke to mention it here. (I ride two Specialized e-bikes, owned a Giant and a Czech hub-drive e-bike too).
Now please listen: I have three major medical conditions; atherosclerosis, blood overpressure and diabetes. I can hardly walk. Yes I can pedal but my legs are bad (inadequate blood supply to my legs).

I rode for 5,000 miles in 2020
I rode for 6,228 miles in 2021
I have ridden for 5,233 miles last year.
I have never needed a throttle despite me riding in real mountains (with max grade 19% climbs) and with two Imperial Centuries behind me. I ride all year long to keep my legs alive.

I am glad you ride a Priority Current. It is a good electrically assisted pedal bike. Don't even consider a throttle because I do not think you really need it.

Last edited:
Don't even consider a throttle because I do not think you really need it.
From what I can gather from your posts, I don't believe my physical abilities are as concerning as yours. That said.. I would not own a bike without a throttle. On a typical 2 hour ride I can honestly say that I use my throttle at most >1 accumulative minute, if at all. But in the brief moments that I know I will stress my knees, I don't hesitate using it for a few seconds. I know if I inflame my knees, I will pay for it for the rest of the day if not the next few days.
But there are many benefits to having a throttle and other than being mindful to not accidentally engage it, no downside... well that is unless you're some kind of egotistical ebike nazi. One example I can give is that a few weeks ago when I got a rear flat on a cold wet muddy day and my arthritis and carpal tunnel were in full inflammation. I was in no mood to sit in the rain and mud to fix a flat and pedaling with PAS was hurting my knees and it was not easy to manage speed due to the ever changing terrain and the drag of the flat. I lifted my weight off the seat with bent knees and rode 5 miles home using mostly throttle. I shredded the tube but tire, wheel and drive train were fine as I my manged my speed smoothly and easily using the throttle.
All this said I won't pretend to know what you need or what you should do as my only concern here is that you ride safe and happy. But also consider this.. If you put a throttle on the bike the elites will more than likely put you on there ignore list as this is the greatest of ebike sins... And to me that makes doing so not only a necessity, but priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the self proclaimed president of the circle jerk failed to mention any of his cerebral deficiencies.. understand that his only real concern is to seek praise for his stats and insist the only way to ride is as he does. The highlighted portion of his statement is all I feel worth any consideration.

From what I can gather from your posts, I don't believe my physical abilities are as concerning as yours. That said.. I would not own a bike without a throttle. On a typical 2 hour ride I can honestly say that I use my throttle at most >1 accumulative minute, if at all. But in the brief moments that I know I will stress my knees, I don't hesitate using it for a few seconds. I know if I inflame my knees, I will pay for it for the rest of the day if not the next few days.
But there are many benefits to having a throttle and other than being mindful to not accidentally engage it, no downside... well that is unless you're some kind of egotistical ebike nazi. One example I can give is that a few weeks ago when I got a rear flat on a cold wet muddy day and my arthritis and carpal tunnel were in full inflammation. I was in no mood to sit in the rain and mud to fix a flat and pedaling with PAS was hurting my knees and it was not easy to manage speed due to the ever changing terrain and the drag of the flat. I lifted my weight off the seat with bent knees and rode 5 miles home using mostly throttle. I shredded the tube but tire, wheel and drive train were fine as I my manged my speed smoothly and easily using the throttle.
All this said I won't pretend to know what you need or what you should do as my only concern here is that you ride safe and happy. But also consider this.. If you put a throttle on the bike the elites will more than likely put you on there ignore list as this is the greatest of ebike sins... And to me that makes doing so not only a necessity, but priceless.
A Throttle is very useful. Went out last night with a fellow biker and stopped off at a brewery after dark when my crank fell off. The crank bolt had come loose a ways back, fell out, don't know where. Surprised I didn't notice it earlier. I was able to ride back home 10 miles under throttle.
-nuff said

most of the stories I hear where you need a throttle area from crappy parts or poor maintenance. some for health of course but crap parts seems to be one of the big ones.
I use Continental tubes with eBike rated flat resistant Kenda tires...so no crappy parts here as the tire was fine after riding it flat for 5 miles...and still is...
I at times can be abusive as to not interfere with having fun and the tube was between 1 and 2 years old.

I use Continental tubes with eBike rated flat resistant Kenda tires...so no crappy parts here as the tire was fine after riding it flat for 5 miles...and still is...
I at times can be abusive as to not interfere with having fun and the tube was between 1 and 2 years old.
Most of the stories I hear for not needing a throttle are from crap shovelers, some from the obtuse, but mostly from crap shovelers.
I changed all tires to Kenda and the Conti thread steel Schraeder tubes. 7 years with great tread life, and no recent flats. Actually, I can't remember the last flat. But then I check the air every few days and retire old and worn tires as I do on the cage before they lose traction or age out.

Most of the stories I hear for not needing a throttle are from crap shovelers, some from the obtuse, but mostly from crap shovelers.
so you ride 5 miles on a flat why? I would never take a chance on riding on a flat way to much chance of damage. not sure why a shovel is exactly some kinds of plow? so you hear you don't need a throttle from people who don't need a throttle? what thats pretty remarkable.

A Throttle is very useful. Went out last night with a fellow biker and stopped off at a brewery after dark when my crank fell off. The crank bolt had come loose a ways back, fell out, don't know where. Surprised I didn't notice it earlier. I was able to ride back home 10 miles under throttle.
-nuff said
Could not agree more.
For me the throttle is a safety device on an e-bike. It is the best way to get out of a bind quickly.

so you ride 5 miles on a flat why? I would never take a chance on riding on a flat way to much chance of damage. not sure why a shovel is exactly some kinds of plow? so you hear you don't need a throttle from people who don't need a throttle? what thats pretty remarkable.
I gave you the reason why in my post prior to yours. All you see is throttle is good and knee jerk to a big NO
Those that don't understand its usefulness insist that they know better and that no one should have them.

Do you read? I gave you the reason why in my post prior to yours. All you see is throttle is good and knee jerk to a big NO
Those that don't understand its usefulness insist that they know better and that no one should have them.
That is just a big pile so shovel on my friend
you started going on about shovelers. you also talk about riding on a flat something I would never take a chance on. Just because you find a use for it does not mean everyone does. like I said often a throttle will save you from cheap parts or poor maintenance. bt I had a mid drive with a throttle for awhile it was not a problem but it was not a problem without either. I have been managing to ride a bike without one all these years and have learned to deal with the lack of. I just get a kick out of it all the reasons people say they need throttle and it's mostly just not true. nothing wrong with having one or using one but it's not some magical device.

you started going on about shovelers. you also talk about riding on a flat something I would never take a chance on. Just because you find a use for it does not mean everyone does. like I said often a throttle will save you from cheap parts or poor maintenance. bt I had a mid drive with a throttle for awhile it was not a problem but it was not a problem without either. I have been managing to ride a bike without one all these years and have learned to deal with the lack of. I just get a kick out of it all the reasons people say they need throttle and it's mostly just not true. nothing wrong with having one or using one but it's not some magical device.
So the argument for is...
Aids in situations of medical or physical ability limitations whether chronic or from recent injury.
Can help get you home in certain situations when other hardware fails
And if I may I'll add can also be fun like powering over a washboard stretch of bumps while lifting off the saddle to save your ass.

Argument against
Don't find it useful because I've managed to ride a bike for years without and I've learned to deal without.

Got it.... Let's just leave it there.

Back