Throttle for the Priority Current

Being new to ebikes and wanting to commute everyday (even when tired/on little sleep) I wanted a throttle. The Current seemed great for the PNW, except it didn't have one. But thanks to this post, I felt confident in pulling the trigger.

One of the cables I got had a gray (vice orange wire). Initially swapped the way Jerry had to, tested but no luck. Original cable still worked (didn't fry anything) so I went "color to color" and it worked!

That said, it appears there is an open throttle port on the motor? Don't see a cables for it either, so soldering will have to happen regardless (if the port works, looks like a cheaper way). But, for the option we've gone for here I recommend not cutting all 7 cables at the same place as by the time I electrical taped each and shrink tubed it, it was too girthy for the channel. Had to remove the waterproofing to get it to fit, but think it should be fine being internal.

I'm in the process of customizing the bike a bit further and plan on creating my own thread for it. Think lights and cameras!

Being new to ebikes and wanting to commute everyday (even when tired/on little sleep) I wanted a throttle. The Current seemed great for the PNW, except it didn't have one. But thanks to this post, I felt confident in pulling the trigger.

One of the cables I got had a gray (vice orange wire). Initially swapped the way Jerry had to, tested but no luck. Original cable still worked (didn't fry anything) so I went "color to color" and it worked!

That said, it appears there is an open throttle port on the motor? Don't see a cables for it either, so soldering will have to happen regardless (if the port works, looks like a cheaper way). But, for the option we've gone for here I recommend not cutting all 7 cables at the same place as by the time I electrical taped each and shrink tubed it, it was too girthy for the channel. Had to remove the waterproofing to get it to fit, but think it should be fine being internal.

I'm in the process of customizing the bike a bit further and plan on creating my own thread for it. Think lights and cameras!
Hi Kraner: Thank you for your post with new information. Are you saying it might be possible to direct wire a thumb controller to the "open throttle port on the motor"? Would this avoid splicing or other modifications to the existing cabling? Details please, including direct cable needed and photos?

So, I did get it to work.
A huge thanks to Jerry and the other forum members for figuring this out, I was successful in fashioning a throttle to my new Priority Current.

Coming from a DIY ebike with a Bafang BBSHD motor, I missed the motor torque available to me, especially when taking off and crossing an intersection with vehicles.

I purchased these cables: https://www.ebay.com/itm/204504562320

And this throttle:

I only chopped off the green connector from the 1T3 cable, keeping the existing yellow (throttle) connector. This leaves me with the extra red/black plugs I can use to supply 5v to an accessory later if desired.

Disassembly and soldering were relatively simple given the tutorial videos folks have made. Compared to Jerry’s diagrams the only difference I had were his yellow wires were white in both my cables. I still recommend validating the pinout of whatever cables you get.

Reassembly proved the most difficult, just getting the motor side connector through the downtime (used a zip tie as a pull cord to get the connector through).

The throttle feels good so far, still not nearly the power of the BBSHD, but an improvement when I’m navigating in traffic and towing a trailercycle.

1713124612506.png

1713124632125.jpeg

Back