Throttle for the Priority Current

ScurleyWorley

Region
USA
Just added a throttle to my Current two weekends ago! For me, given that I had a serious leg injury the week that the bike arrived from Priority, this has been exactly what I've needed to jump back onto the saddle. Speed seems to top out at ~26.5mph on flat surface with no wind, while range is somewhere close to 15 miles, maybe a little less.

When I was shopping for a bike, it seemed like the Current had everything one could want for a great price, with the exception of a throttle and some sort of suspension. I didn't think much of it at the time, but the injury highlighted the value of a throttle. Anyways, I made a full DIY video documenting the installation, which I think is the only instructional right now that shows how to route the cables cleanly through the downtube -
Full disclosure - I have a few installation kits for sale, linked in the video description.

Very interesting. Between its looks and its 140 Nm peak torque number, looks like a Bafang motor. The controller side pins show more than is typically needed for the generic green HIGO display plug, so they've integrated the two into the one connector (obviously since someone has already figured this out) and you're just separating them back out again to re-acquire the standard yellow HIGO throttle plug.

I'm guessing this is something that will work with any Bafang mid build that is similarly hobbled. The connection at the controller looks typical for the newfangled CAN bus.

Where did you get the green/yellow splitter cable?

It's actually a TruckRun motor. My guess as to why Priority doesn't include the throttle on the bikes is class rating, i.e. they'd rather have a legally legit Class 3 vs. people illegally running at 28mph with a throttle.

Both the throttle and cable were sourced directly from TruckRun, the manufacturer, so I guess you can consider it an OEM part. I have a few available here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/225204259560

I thought it looked like a TruckRun. Good job and hopefully will help the next person that needs a throttle function!

Thank you! Yes I spent a significant amount of time trying to track down the correct solution. I saw another person successfully install a throttle about a month ago, but the cable was zip tied to the outside of the frame. For a bike as pretty as ours, I was delighted to figure out how to route it cleanly.

What determines whether you have a black/white arrow? When did you order/receive your Current? How long did your order take from TruckRun? Thanks for taking the time to make this how-to video. Hope your leg recovery goes well.

Sorry, no I don't have any more available. The manufacturer is not making any more, either. I was starting to go down the path of figuring out how to have my own manufactured but, unfortunately, I don't feel that there is sufficient demand for it to be worth it.

If you are able to locate the Truckrun extension/splitter cable from any supplier, please let me know. If you place a new order from Truckrun, I will buy from you. Thank you!

From my search FWIW: A similar splitter cable for a Bafang BBS01 motor is available on Amazon with the correct green 5-pin display and yellow 3-pin throttle HIGO connectors. However the black controller connector is an 8-pin (M8.4, TSDZ2?), so it will not work with the Priority Truckrun controller, which uses a 3+3+2 (CAN?) plug as shown in the video. Does anyone know if a cable is available to adapt from the 3+3+2 connector to the 8-pin (M8.4k, TSDZ2)? I believe that would solve the mismatch.

Another possibility: a splitter cable is available on AliExpess for the Bafang M500 which has the correct 3+3+2 (CAN?) controller connector and yellow 3-pin throttle HIGO,. But it has a green 5-pin CAN display connector (not HIGO). So another solution is an adapter to mate this green CAN to the green HIGO on the Priority. Please let me know if you have a solution. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi guys!
I am curious about the TruckRun motor description in the 2 throttle videos I've seen. I emailed Priority about adding a throttle cable, indicating that I saw the videos of a few guys on the web who did so. I asked them if they had a kit yet. The response was "The Motor and battery are Priority Bicycles and I'm sorry they are not Throttle compatible."
So now I am wondering if there is something that a throttle can do to affect the electronics of the controller or something, and I'm wondering if it is indeed a TruckRun made motor. And why did they say "and battery" because I never mentioned it in my request?
Whadya think?

I am wondering if they will announce a new Current model with a throttle. I would bet that they would double their sales if they do that. Since they are out of stock on the Current now, one can hope.

Hi guys!
I am curious about the TruckRun motor description in the 2 throttle videos I've seen. I emailed Priority about adding a throttle cable, indicating that I saw the videos of a few guys on the web who did so. I asked them if they had a kit yet. The response was "The Motor and battery are Priority Bicycles and I'm sorry they are not Throttle compatible."
So now I am wondering if there is something that a throttle can do to affect the electronics of the controller or something, and I'm wondering if it is indeed a TruckRun made motor. And why did they say "and battery" because I never mentioned it in my request?
Whadya think?
I think because they are an NYC store, they can't sell bikes with a throttle, and probably for legal reasons can't acknowledge that the throttle is possible. Too bad, because I wouldn't mind a throttle on mine.

Wow! I'm not real sure if the new crimp system Higo speaks about in their video is going to be compatible with the existing motor connections. Higo says they are starting out with only a 2pole or 4pole connector. I will contact them once I know what configuration is required for the Current's motor, (whatever kind it is).

Has nothing to do with CANBUS. Two different types of connectors here - Jules on controller and Higo for display and throttle. I ordered both splitters in the 11th post and will simply splice the Higo in place of the Julet throttle plug.

Has nothing to do with CANBUS. Two different types of connectors here - Jules on controller and Higo for display and throttle. I ordered both splitters in the 11th post and will simply splice the Higo in place of the Julet throttle plug.
Sounds like you seem to know your way around connectors a bit. Please send me a note when you get your cables and connectors. I'd really like to see how you have it planned. I only think I get it at this point. Thanks for your response and ideas!

Priority is going to sell a single speed beach cruiser in January with a throttle. They also informed me that no decisions have yet been made to add a throttle to the Current yet.

Back