Current Battery Extender

Doggyman1202

I've been on the fence about purchasing one of these for some time, but the 15% accessory sale gave me an excuse to indulge myself. It should be delivered later this week. Unlike the Current itself, it's still not exactly a bargain, but then again, there are times this summer and fall I expect to use it.

The Current extender is a retrofit design, and unless I'm mistaken, it bugs me that it works in series with the main battery, not concurrently. (My understanding is that the main battery drains first before switching to the extender battery). My guess is that the display only shows one battery at a time, but maybe someone here can confirm that. While the extender battery goes a long way in reducing range anxiety and contingent PAS budgeting, it's not totally anxiety-proof. If I'm riding 40 miles from nowhere, as I often do, and for some reason the second battery does not engage as expected, I'll be looking for a parking space somewhere up s*** creek. (I rode the Current without battery power a few miles recently. Doable, but I wouldn't want to go any kind of serious distance that way).

In any case, I watched Eddie's installation video, and it looks pretty straightforward, except the motor wiring business scares me a bit. As Austin Powers would say, "that's not my bag, baby". It seems especially tricky to do without a bike repair stand.

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone that has the extender regarding the installation process and use. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Maybe I missed your mfg., but I have found the Bosch 500w Range Extender to be an excellent product. Works in parallel with on-board RIB battery.

Why not just buy a second battery and swap it in when the first is depleted.
While that can be done I suppose, a second primary battery would be much clumsier to carry along. The extender actually has a little more juice that the main battery, and right now the extender is only marginally more expensive and includes a rack.

I have the range extender and I like it, but a few things to note about the range extender and it's nonstandard rack:
1. the rear upward flip is a bit of a problem for adding things like trailer hitches.
2. It's too wide for the topeak adapters, only quick release rack adapters I have found to work are the MIK and the UKLIP Universal
3. Because of the lip I needed to cut 1/4 inch thick aluminum and add layers to get things like my burley travoy rack to work
4. My Ortlieb Gravel Pack Panniers do not work on the range extender; I have not tried other Ortlieb panniers.
5.The extra 10 lbs, along with other things in the back (eg. my laptop and clothes) change the bikes handling.
6. They are parasitic to the main battery so you need to pop the main batttery out if storing for any length of time. Honestly this feel like lazy engineering on the producers part.

Last edited:
I have the range extender and I like it, but a few things to note about the range extender and it's nonstandard rack:
1. the rear upward flip is a bit of a problem for adding things like trailer hitches.
2. It's too wide for the topeak adapters, only quick release rack adapters I have found to work are the MIK and the UKLIP Universal
3. Because of the lip I often need cut 1/4 inch thick aluminum and add layers to get things like my burley travoy rack to work
4. My Ortlieb Gravel Pack Panniers do not work on the range extender; I have not tried other Ortlieb panniers.
5.The extra 10 lbs, along with other things in the back (eg. my laptop and clothes) change the bikes handling.
6. They are parasitic to the main battery so you need to pop the main batttery out if storing for any length of time. Honestly this feel like lazy engineering on the producers part.
Thank you for this! I have the range extender but have not installed it yet.
Point 2: I was hoping my Topeak MTX saddle bag would snap on, but not at all surprised it won't.
Point 4: I wonder if the Priority/Hudson branded Panniers work on this rack. I do need something to securely replace the Topeak MTX bag, but open to brand or type.
Point 5: I was a little worried about this. I guess the one consolation is that I won't be attaching the extender battery for most casual rides.
Point 6: I never keep the main battery in when not riding, but my reasons have more to due with weight (lugging bike up a few steps into my home, or onto the car rack) and general caution when transporting the bike. As to the "lazy engineering", it's clear the extender is a retrofit so I'm not sure they could have done this differently without a complete motor engineering overall. The sequential way this works (as opposed to both batteries working in parallel) is disappointing, but I'm hoping the rear battery engages as intended.

Thanks again for your insights!

Thank you for this! I have the range extender but have not installed it yet.
Point 2: I was hoping my Topeak MTX saddle bag would snap on, but not at all surprised it won't.
Point 4: I wonder if the Priority/Hudson branded Panniers work on this rack. I do need something to securely replace the Topeak MTX bag, but open to brand or type.
Point 5: I was a little worried about this. I guess the one consolation is that I won't be attaching the extender battery for most casual rides.
Point 6: I never keep the main battery in when not riding, but my reasons have more to due with weight (lugging bike up a few steps into my home, or onto the car rack) and general caution when transporting the bike. As to the "lazy engineering", it's clear the extender is a retrofit so I'm not sure they could have done this differently without a complete motor engineering overall. The sequential way this works (as opposed to both batteries working in parallel) is disappointing, but I'm hoping the rear battery engages as intended.

Thanks again for your insights!
4: I've the priority 174 Hudson Waterproof packs and they are great! (should have mentioned that, sorry :-/). Re. the topeak - I think if you are willing to put some time into it it could be made to work.
6: You are right - I am unjustly grump about this one as it's apparently not unusual. They did get the cutover to happen before the main battery is dead which is great in terms of battery life.

I've put a front rack on (Thule Tour 'n Pedal) and am still working out the right balance for commuting - work in progress and I probably would by a 174 Hudson Rack if I was doing it again. I'm totally jealous of the brompton bags mounting block and the options available. Seems like mounting the weight on the headset would solve a lot of the problems. Not ready to drill holes in my frame :).

All said, I'm really happy having it and genuinely impressed by Priority's support.

Point 4: I do need something to securely replace the Topeak MTX bag, but open to brand or type.
I have too many Topeak Q/A accessories to replace so I installed an MIK mounting plate on my rack:

I then removed the Topeak quick mount from the bottom of my MTX bags and installed an MIK adapter:

It was cheaper than replacing all my Topeak products.

Point 4: I wonder if the Priority/Hudson branded Panniers work on this rack.
In order to use my existing panniers, I made this simple adapter using pieces of 1/2" aluminum tubing and insulated cable clamps:

P1070096a.jpg
P1070445a.jpg
P1070449b.jpg

For a more finished look, you can add these plugs to the tubing ends:

P1070447a.jpg

They are stronger than they look and don't mar the bike finish. I've been carrying 10 lb. batteries in each pannier for 5 seasons now with no problems. I can supply links to the necessary parts if you're interested.

In order to use my existing panniers, I made this simple adapter using pieces of 1/2" aluminum tubing and insulated cable clamps:

View attachment 157740 View attachment 157741 View attachment 157743

For a more finished look, you can add these plugs to the tubing ends:

View attachment 157744

They are stronger than they look and don't mar the bike finish. I've been carrying 10 lb. batteries in each pannier for 5 seasons now with no problems. I can supply links to the necessary parts if you're interested.
That looks great - if you get a chance the parts would be great!

That looks great - if you get a chance the parts would be great!
Insulated clamps:

Check the tubing diameter on the rack and get the appropriate size.

1/2" Aluminum tubing:

End plugs:

Stainless cap screw:

Stainless lock nut:

That's a very nice mod, 6z. I think I have some tubing so I might order the other parts.
The Hudson panniers are out of stock, unfortunately, and the pre-order hyperlink is not working, so it doesn't look like their panniers will be available anytime soon. I can make due with another one I have here but kind of clumsy to attach as it stands.

The waterproof ones seem to still be available. If you are looking for the backpack one it is still available at Paragon - only 4 left :-(.

The waterproof ones seem to still be available. If you are looking for the backpack one it is still available at Paragon - only 4 left :-(.
Yup. There must have been a glitch in their system over the weekend. Buying one now (not the backpack). Thanks for the correction!

Last edited:
Back