Evelo Aurora 2018 750w

MisterM

2018 "fully loaded" version has new mid-motor 750w (1000w peak) Bafang 48v11.6ah with Nuvinci Harmony https://www.evelo.com/electric-bicycles/aurora/

Doesn't ship until late June. Pre-order special until 4/19 w/$300 coupon for accessories in their store. $2974 shipped.

Wife just placed pre-order. Really liked the combo of step thru, upright riding position, powerful mid-motor (we live on steep hill), easy shifting Nuvinci with decently sized semi-integrated battery. Older versions were too clunky for her tastes.

I’d be curious to know what your wife thinks of the hill climbing ability (or lack thereof) that the bike has. The gear ratios on the Nuvinci are quite limited, but the drive is quite powerful. So the combination might still work. I tried the Bosch Performance Speed with a Nuvinci and it struggled above 10% grade. But that’s because the Bosch Speed drive requires high cadence when climbing. I suspect the Bafang will be more tolerant. The more power the drive has in the lower RPMs, the better it is for climbing with the Nuvinci. That’s because the Nuvinci doesn’t have as much of a granny gear as a traditional cassette.

I'm with you on the questionable climbing power with the NuVinci and smaller motors. Court did a review of the Evelo Delta last year with a 500w motor - he took it on several hills and seemed to be pleasantly surprised. However, I wasn't terribly impressed considering he's only 135 lbs. Not surprised to hear a 250w Bosch would have trouble up steeper hills.

This new 750w/1000w peak Bafang upgrade is what caught our attention (as well as the larger semi-integrated battery rather than rack mounted) - finally seemed powerful enough to go up steeper hills (or at least that's our hope - we'll know in the first 5 mins). The setup is exactly what my wife wants - she's not interested in shifting and wants a simple cockpit.

I started this thread specifically because of the larger motor option - don't know of any other bike using a 750w mid drive with a NuVinci.

Will give an update when the bike arrives in a few months.

I was looking at the new Aurora too. It sounds like a nice bike at a reasonable price. The powerful motor is tempting. I like my Aurora but lifting its 56lb. frame up on the trailer hitch is a struggle. I'm looking for a lightweight bike to replace it. The new one isn't much lighter. Evelo is a good company to deal with. Looking forward to your review.

I'm with you on the questionable climbing power with the NuVinci and smaller motors. Court did a review of the Evelo Delta last year with a 500w motor - he took it on several hills and seemed to be pleasantly surprised. However, I wasn't terribly impressed considering he's only 135 lbs. Not surprised to hear a 250w Bosch would have trouble up steeper hills.

This new 750w/1000w peak Bafang upgrade is what caught our attention (as well as the larger semi-integrated battery rather than rack mounted) - finally seemed powerful enough to go up steeper hills (or at least that's our hope - we'll know in the first 5 mins). The setup is exactly what my wife wants - she's not interested in shifting and wants a simple cockpit.

I started this thread specifically because of the larger motor option - don't know of any other bike using a 750w mid drive with a NuVinci.

Will give an update when the bike arrives in a few months.

The Aurora uses a chain so the gear ratio could be changed for better hill climbing.

Finally found a halfway decent review of the Nuvinci Harmony system on another bike Court reviewed last year - I think it's an awesome concept that doesn't get enough attention. Few reviews available and I'm not sure why - NuVinci does a lousy marketing job (I had no idea the Harmony system was the ebike equivalent to an automatic transmission - actually easier since all you do is turn on the bike and pedal - no gear shifting at all)

All you do is select a preferred pedal cadence and the Harmony automatically adjusts gearing to maintain same cadence, regardless of terrain. Automatically remembers the cadence setting, so it's 'set it and forget it'. No shifting whatsoever - so no shift levers, no twist lever, no shift cables, no derailleur etc. Clean cockpit and no maintenance - think it's perfect for older folks, those not mechanically inclined, or those who just want simple/no-hassle riding.

You can select to shift manually using the cycle computer, but can't really see why you'd want to do that.

Unfortunately, Court did the review atop a busy/noisy NYC bridge, so audio isn't the best. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...UQwqsBCCgwAA&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

Finally found a halfway decent review of the Nuvinci Harmony system on another bike Court reviewed last year - I think it's an awesome concept that doesn't get enough attention. Few reviews available and I'm not sure why - NuVinci does a lousy marketing job (I had no idea the Harmony system was the ebike equivalent to an automatic transmission - actually easier since all you do is turn on the bike and pedal - no gear shifting at all)

All you do is select a preferred pedal cadence and the Harmony automatically adjusts gearing to maintain same cadence, regardless of terrain. Automatically remembers the cadence setting, so it's 'set it and forget it'. No shifting whatsoever - so no shift levers, no twist lever, no shift cables, no derailleur etc. Clean cockpit and no maintenance - think it's perfect for older folks, those not mechanically inclined, or those who just want simple/no-hassle riding.

You can select to shift manually using the cycle computer, but can't really see why you'd want to do that.

Unfortunately, Court did the review atop a busy/noisy NYC bridge, so audio isn't the best. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=#&ved=0ahUKEwitnZuQ5sXaAhWJdd8KHY_9BTUQwqsBCCgwAA&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

Hi, Did you get the Aurora 750W bike? how do you like it? Any issues with the Nuvinci and stronger 750W motor? I saw another thread where there is some concerns there and also concerns about issues with the Nuvinci. I really want an internally geared hub on the next Ebike I buy and wonder which one is the best, but it has to be durable, so the mention of issue around the Nuvinci are concerning to me. Thanks.

Hi, Did you get the Aurora 750W bike? how do you like it? Any issues with the Nuvinci and stronger 750W motor? I saw another thread where there is some concerns there and also concerns about issues with the Nuvinci. I really want an internally geared hub on the next Ebike I buy and wonder which one is the best, but it has to be durable, so the mention of issue around the Nuvinci are concerning to me. Thanks.
NuVinci has no durability issues I'm aware of. Surprised to hear it.

Yes, my wife has the 750w version and really likes it. We had also recenty purchased Bosch-powered step-thru (more expensive bike with derailleur) but she prefers the Aurora with NuVinci Harmony electric shifting.

It's a well-built bike. If you're interested in a easy-to-ride, powerful step thru at a decent price, can't think of a better option.

Mine runs like a charm no problems...IF there was a problem Evelo would be aware of it and now after dealing with this company I know I am covered no matter what. They are the best people I have ever dealt with period!!!! Great Bike! This bike has Power to spare and when you ride it is smooth and quiet. I had the Galaxy which was a nice bike as well but 350W and Belt drive, NO comparison at all, the Aurora smokes it in every way, more power, quicker, climbs hills 80% easier, chain is of no detriment imo as I don't even hear it. As a matter of fact I barely hear the mid drive motor. The frame on this bike is super strong and no wobble. I cannot recommend it enough and the company is First Rate, they go so far beyond what is expected. If you don't like the bike they even pay to ship it back no questions asked, and the service department when I have a question responds in very little time, once in less than 15 minutes. Sales also go way beyond the norm and offer things many times at no cost simply because your a customer. So go for it with Evelo you won't be sorry. I am not affiliated just a very satisfied customer. Jerry in Oregon

NuVinci has no durability issues I'm aware of. Surprised to hear it.

Yes, my wife has the 750w version and really likes it. We had also recenty purchased Bosch-powered step-thru (more expensive bike with derailleur) but she prefers the Aurora with NuVinci Harmony electric shifting.

It's a well-built bike. If you're interested in a easy-to-ride, powerful step thru at a decent price, can't think of a better option.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know. Still trying to decide between the Aurora and the Delta X.

I had the same decision to make, was going for the Delta X and instead because of a great sale, decide on the Galaxy and had it for about 2 weeks, it was a very nice bike and ran smooth but I realized after riding it that the top tube configuration just doesn't work for me. I really wanted the top tube style bike but found it a real pain in the butt for getting off. I needed to lean the bike way over and still caught my right shoe on the rear rack a few times. No problem getting on just swung my leg over. But now after riding the Aurora it is perfect. I load the rear rack bag and panniers and carry stuff so it works out, no longer a problem getting off just step off. I did leave the water bottle cage off because I like the center area clear.
As a bonus, the Aurora is a very powerful bike and climbs without any pedal assist if you want and takes off Very Fast, so the difference between the 350 and 750 is tremendous! I like having the extra power, even in PA 1 it is very satisfying. Also Very responsive company and I think the only one to offer 4 yrs or 20.000 miles on warranty.......Jerry PS: they also paid for the FedEx pickup at my house when I sent the Galaxy back, couldn't ask for more than that.

Curious if the speedometer/digital readout on some of the Evelo bikes like the Delta X or Aurora is removable? Would be worried that if the bike were locked up somewhere in public, that someone would try to steal it, so wondering if it can be removed and taken with you, or if not, how well secured it is? Thanks.
I had the same decision to make, was going for the Delta X and instead because of a great sale, decide on the Galaxy and had it for about 2 weeks, it was a very nice bike and ran smooth but I realized after riding it that the top tube configuration just doesn't work for me. I really wanted the top tube style bike but found it a real pain in the butt for getting off. I needed to lean the bike way over and still caught my right shoe on the rear rack a few times. No problem getting on just swung my leg over. But now after riding the Aurora it is perfect. I load the rear rack bag and panniers and carry stuff so it works out, no longer a problem getting off just step off. I did leave the water bottle cage off because I like the center area clear.
As a bonus, the Aurora is a very powerful bike and climbs without any pedal assist if you want and takes off Very Fast, so the difference between the 350 and 750 is tremendous! I like having the extra power, even in PA 1 it is very satisfying. Also Very responsive company and I think the only one to offer 4 yrs or 20.000 miles on warranty.......Jerry PS: they also paid for the FedEx pickup at my house when I sent the Galaxy back, couldn't ask for more than that.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks. I agree with you, that I like the styling/look of the higher top bar on the Delta X, but the ease and convenience of a low step through of the Aurora. The Delta X has a little lower/descending top bar than conventional bike frame style , so maybe closer to a mid-step through, so a bit easier, but still not as convenient still as a low step. I have a mid-step thru bike now with the lowest point around 21" and mid-point about 26-27" above ground height and that is low enough for me to step through ok. But, the Detla X has a higher step through with about 29" at the mid-point I see on their website. I do like the more powerful 750W motor, but that is available on either the Delta X or the Aurora, so still a tough choice. That sounds like great service from Evelo on the return fo the Galaxy. Sounds like a great company to do business with.

Curious if the speedometer/digital readout on some of the Evelo bikes like the Delta X or Aurora is removable? Would be worried that if the bike were locked up somewhere in public, that someone would try to steal it, so wondering if it can be removed and taken with you, or if not, how well secured it is? Thanks.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks. I agree with you, that I like the styling/look of the higher top bar on the Delta X, but the ease and convenience of a low step through of the Aurora. The Delta X has a little lower/descending top bar than conventional bike frame style , so maybe closer to a mid-step through, so a bit easier, but still not as convenient still as a low step. I have a mid-step thru bike now with the lowest point around 21" and mid-point about 26-27" above ground height and that is low enough for me to step through ok. But, the Detla X has a higher step through with about 29" at the mid-point I see on their website. I do like the more powerful 750W motor, but that is available on either the Delta X or the Aurora, so still a tough choice. That sounds like great service from Evelo on the return fo the Galaxy. Sounds like a great company to do business with.
The display isn't removable - at least not without removing 2 screws holding it to the handlebar and disconnecting some wires. You'd have to be very determined to want to steal it - not all that valuable - something like $90 if I remember correctly

I don't see any mention of the Bafang 750W with harmony on the site, did they drop that model and only sell the lower 500W version without harmony?
Also, was the 750W the old BBS02 with only a cadence sensor, or the New Bafang Ultra with torque sensing pedal assist?

I don't see any mention of the Bafang 750W with harmony on the site, did they drop that model and only sell the lower 500W version without harmony?
Also, was the 750W the old BBS02 with only a cadence sensor, or the New Bafang Ultra with torque sensing pedal assist?

Interesting - Fully Loaded version isn't on the site any longer. It had the 750w w/Harmony. No, it isn't the Ultra motor.

I wish Evelo would upgrade one of their models to have the Bafang Ultra (with the much better torque based pedal assist), as well as the new NuVinci / Enviolo for high torque motors and a belt...

I wish Evelo would upgrade one of their models to have the Bafang Ultra (with the much better torque based pedal assist), as well as the new NuVinci / Enviolo for high torque motors and a belt...
You'd add at least another $1K to the price and need a bigger battery to feed more angry pixxies to that motor. Ultra is overkill on a road bike - it's got huge torque better suited for climbing.

I know the hype for the Aurora at the moment is all geared to the new Limited Edition but I recently purchased, a little over month ago actually, a 2018 fully loaded version with just 84 miles on it.

I had been interested in the Evelo ebikes after doing much research and viewed them as great value for the money. I really had my heart set on ordering the Limited version and by happen chance saw the fully loaded on Ebay for local pick up only which, as luck would have it, was very close to me. I got outbid by a long shot but the high bidder had 0 feedback and was not able to complete purchase. I decided to make contact with seller and we talked and settled on $1700 cash, which btw was way under the Ebay high bid. I didn’t hesitate. As it turns out the seller is one of Evelos local reps/repair/assembler who had both a 2018 white and black Evelo Aurora for interested parties to try out. I bought the black. It’s nice knowing if I have issues I can get advice and repairs done locally.

In the month or so time I’ve had it I’ve put on little over 200 miles on it. Local terrain is relatively flat but took it to camp in the Adirondacks where I could check out more hilly areas. The 750 watt motor has proved to be more than adequate with only the steepest grades on full pedal assist challenging the Auroa, but these are the same hills where I would end up walking my regular bike up the hill, well years ago I would, at 58 that’s not happening anymore.

I’m a fair weather biker so when I got the Aurora I knew I would take off the fenders off, and I wasn’t too impressed with them anyhow. I had to re-wire and zip tie the back/brake light to the rack because mine was the version where it was attached to underside of the rear fender. I also changed out the tires to my favorites, Maxxis Holy Rollers. Love em’. Also added seat post shock thingy and old guy comfy seat.

For my local mostly flat terrain riding I use the bike in the fully automatic mode and it’s a dream. I for one really appreciate the shiftless CVT on this bike and love the fact I’m not constantly fiddling with upshifting and downshifting levers. Don’t miss ‘em one bit. I look forward to riding this bike every chance I get…..I really like it that much.

Attachments

• Evelo Aurora.jpg
    Evelo Aurora.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Back