Bafang BBS02B 750W 48V Mid Drive Motor Identification

Here are the pictures of the Labeling / Stamping / Stickers from the motor and battery.

I do note the 750 in the stamping in the second image, which is what makes me willing to believe it's correct, but i was hoping someone could confirm this for me?
Well if you hadn't blacked out the serial numbers, the dating would have quickly cleared up the version. It's a 500W motor.

Well if you hadn't blacked out the serial numbers, the dating would have quickly cleared up the version. It's a 500W motor.
Well that's partially my bad.
I blocked out the sn on the photo I posted. . .and the OP had some concerns and then blocked his.

Me personally I do not think the "750" in the controller marking means anything other than a model# and has nothing to do with rating
But the 500W marked on the motor to me is a 500 WATT marking. Especially since it is written in the format of Model / Voltage / Wattage. A common manufacture marking scheme.
But I'm no Santo 🤣

Last edited:
Well that's partially my bad.
I blocked out the sn on the photo I posted. . .and the OP had some concerns and then blocked his.

Me personally I do not think the "750" in the controller marking means anything other than a model# and has nothing to do with rating
But the 500W marked on the motor to me is a 500 WATT marking. Especially since it is written in the format of Model / Voltage / Wattage. A common manufacture marking scheme.
But I'm no Santo 🤣
You nailed it!

Ok, so i have confirmation from the supplier, that even if i have fitted the motor and battery and used them i can return them if they are incorrect.

I have also purchased a programming cable and it should arrive within 10 days, hopefully before next weekend.

Once i have the cable and can hook up the motor to a pc, what should i be looking for to identify everything?

I understand there might be a programming thread dealing with this sort of thing, could someone possibly direct me to the correct thread?

Well as far as I would be concerned, they are incorrect.
The motor was built as a 500w and I wouldn't want some reseller Frankenstein...regardless if it "can work"
Keep in mind on the return promise that he's already lied numerous times and though politely... he's still getting his end goal by continuing to delay you.

If you are still willing to entertain this... You can download the software here
Just select Free Download and don't be distracted by all the advertisements.
Software Developers Page for some background.

Once connected, click Read Flash and you should see the Controller Info.
A 750W will have a Max Current of 25A, I believe the 500W is somewhere around 18A.

Basic.jpg

Yikes! I made several mistakes here but If you ordered a 750W motor they bilked you. You have without a dought a 500W. Bafang can be weird, but not weird enough to sell 500W motors with 750W controllers. No need for a programming cable in my mind. I'd insist on a complete motor/controller replacement. Period. Was this Lunamate?

They website seems professional enough... But what you state happened in your original post is total Bullshit on the part of the seller as far as I am concerned. Near impossible that the motor was stamped incorrectly and left the factory.
Just understand that what you have is not what Bafang assembles as a motor/controller set or it's a full 500w setup
I have read that you can put a 750w controller on a 500w motor... but even that is few mentions and anecdotal with no long term verification of reliability.
In the end it is what you feel comfortable accepting.
Like I said before, I would want exactly what I purchased.
Then there's even the cost difference to consider between the two versions... $115

Last edited:
Bought a programming cable from ebay, here's the results.

As mentioned above 18A was supposed to be a 500W, could anyone confirm this?

1646897050262.png

Yes.. It is 500w
Mine is a 750w and reads Controller Info / Max Current: 25A
Like I said this is common tactic to unload current stock and to keep you from going elsewhere with the 750W out of stock.
If you haven't done so already, I would open a dispute by calling the credit card bank immediately. The seller is purposely trying to deceive you.

Alright, so i spoke to the retailer today and long story short,
They accept that i was sent an incorrect unit to begin with,
They also accept that i was first encouraged to take the incorrect unit for a small refund.
Furthermore that acknowledge that former staff, who were recently let go by the company attempted to deceive me.

They have offered me a 1000W kit at the same price as the 750W, as a replacement in order to prevent me besmirching their reputation publicly on every forum i can find, through a google review, and also directly to Bafang themselves.
I wasn't able to get them to upgrade the battery to a 52V for free, so i decided to just pay the $40 difference and get it anyway.

They have already organized the courier to collect the 500W kit and battery, and as soon as they have information from the courier that it is on it's way back to them, they will dispatch the new unit.

Here's hoping that by this time next week i will have a brand new 1000W motor kit and 52V 15Ah battery combination.

Last edited:
Alright, so i spoke to the retailer today and long story short,
They accept that i was sent an incorrect unit to begin with,
They also accept that i was first encouraged to take the incorrect unit for a small refund.
Furthermore that acknowledge that former staff, who were recently let go by the company attempted to deceive me.

They have offered me a 1000W kit at the same price as the 750W, as a replacement in order to prevent me besmirching their reputation publicly on every forum i can find, through a google review, and also directly to Bafang themselves.
I wasn't able to get them to upgrade the battery to a 52V for free, so i decided to just pay the $40 difference and get it anyway.

They have already organized the courier to collect the 500W kit and battery, and as soon as they have information from the courier that it is on it's way back to them, they will dispatch the new unit.

Here's hoping that by this time next week i will have a brand new 1000W motor kit and 52V 15Ah battery combination.

Glad it looks like it's all going to work out to your satisfaction. 👍

I'd stay diligent and follow up with them as necessary as the Good Cop/Bad Cop (former staff, who were recently let go by the company attempted to deceive me) scenario is usually part of these games.

Post some pics once you get rollin'

It's a 750 ( by model and serial # ) so;
don't worry be happy build your machine and ride it,
pictures please.
But yet you can't figure out why no one listens to you.
Even new members know enough to pass on your comments.

Status Update:

So the original kit and battery was collected on Wednesday evening, and I received the new motor and kit on Friday.

Friday afternoon i got a call from the company, and they told me not only had i sent too many things back, but i'd also forgotten to include the keys with the battery. Woops!!!!

Saturday morning i had a friend drive me out to pick up the things i'd sent back incorrectly, and drop off the keys which i found.

Whilst there i got chatting to the sales people and they told me that the motor was indeed a 750W, but had been throttled back to 18A output as they were selling it to someone rather than installing it themselves.
They did this as they didn't want me to "burn it out from installing it incorrectly and claim it was faulty to begin with."

All sounds pretty dodgy to me, and left me with some pretty pertinent questions, like why didn't they just say that to begin with?

I fitted the 1000W motor and 52V battery on the bike yesterday, and it wasn't until we were getting ready to test it all out that we realised there were no pedals included in the kit, and i didn't have a spanner of the right size to remove my original ones from their crank arms.

Today i took the bike to a local bike shop and got them to switch over the pedals, so all good there, and i plan on riding it to work tomorrow morning

\o/

Next on the list of things to do:
- Find or make a bigger, more secure panier basket to allow me to carry more groceries.
- Add a cable tie to the chassis to allow me to mount my fencing sword to it so that i can travel to fencing.
- Find a way to get the motor to connect to my phone so i can modify it without having to bring my bike into my house for a PC connection.
(Was thinking of splicing the usb connector and a bluetooth transceiver onto the display cable already on the bike, but i'd love to hear other people's opinions or advice on this.)

Status Update:

So the original kit and battery was collected on Wednesday evening, and I received the new motor and kit on Friday.

Friday afternoon i got a call from the company, and they told me not only had i sent too many things back, but i'd also forgotten to include the keys with the battery. Woops!!!!

Saturday morning i had a friend drive me out to pick up the things i'd sent back incorrectly, and drop off the keys which i found.

Whilst there i got chatting to the sales people and they told me that the motor was indeed a 750W, but had been throttled back to 18A output as they were selling it to someone rather than installing it themselves.
They did this as they didn't want me to "burn it out from installing it incorrectly and claim it was faulty to begin with."

All sounds pretty dodgy to me, and left me with some pretty pertinent questions, like why didn't they just say that to begin with?

I fitted the 1000W motor and 52V battery on the bike yesterday, and it wasn't until we were getting ready to test it all out that we realised there were no pedals included in the kit, and i didn't have a spanner of the right size to remove my original ones from their crank arms.

Today i took the bike to a local bike shop and got them to switch over the pedals, so all good there, and i plan on riding it to work tomorrow morning

\o/

Next on the list of things to do:
- Find or make a bigger, more secure panier basket to allow me to carry more groceries.
- Add a cable tie to the chassis to allow me to mount my fencing sword to it so that i can travel to fencing.
- Find a way to get the motor to connect to my phone so i can modify it without having to bring my bike into my house for a PC connection.
(Was thinking of splicing the usb connector and a bluetooth transceiver onto the display cable already on the bike, but i'd love to hear other people's opinions or advice on this.)
All in all it seems things worked out... GREAT!

Curious did the sales person have brown eyes?
I bet they did because he is definitely full of s*it. The 18A setting in the Controller Info is baked into the controller firmware and is not adjustable by anyone. There is a user/dealer adjustment on the top of the same page called Current Limit.
So I guess they somehow convinced Bafang to install custom firmware and then they also ground down the motor markings and had them engrave 500W on it as well.. smh....
Some people just don't know when to admit what they did and move forward.

As for connecting your phone.... There's an app for that!
SPEEED App... and it works quite well. You can even use your phone as a display in a pinch.

Last edited:
So I guess they somehow convinced Bafang to install custom firmware
No need to convince them if buying direct. Remember this is the company that sent out "B" versions and never told resellers, sent out BBSHD with updated rotor shafts to stop them from snapping but had no backward compatibility. That was sorted by Doug Snyder, and then there was the BBSHD controller that got an error code 07 when running a 52V battery and wouldn't own that for a short time. Will not release any serial number to version information. There's more, but that's Bafang. STILL my favored mid. When they run they're champs.

2-2014 36V BBS01 350W still carrying my fat arse at a solid 19MPH. Sipping watts and great mileage! 2-3 thousand miles on each.

All in all it seems things worked out... GREAT!

Curious did the sales person have brown eyes?
I bet they did because he is definitely full of s*it. The 18A setting in the Controller Info is baked into the controller firmware and is not adjustable by anyone. There is a user/dealer adjustment on the top of the same page called Current Limit.
So I guess they somehow convinced Bafang to install custom firmware and then they also ground down the motor markings and had them engrave 500W on it as well.. smh....
Some people just don't know when to admit what they did and move forward.

As for connecting your phone.... There's an app for that!
SPEEED App... and it works quite well. You can even use your phone as a display in a pinch.
How does the phone communicate with yhe motor?
Is there Bluetooth inbuilt, or some adaptor that has a Bluetooth transmitter?

How does the phone communicate with yhe motor?
Is there Bluetooth inbuilt, or some adaptor that has a Bluetooth transmitter?
It's not that sophisticated right now... It's via USB cable with an OTG adapter for your phone and the motor display port. Same as the PC software
Supposedly there's a Bluetooth dongle in the works

Back