Electric Car thread

Even if you have a longer commute, you should still consider an EV over a PHEV. An L2 charger at home will get you back to full before the morning and you won't have to worry about gas or ICE maintenance.

If you're planning on road trips, then I would consider a PHEV or just a high mileage ICE vehicle (although road trips favor larger cars which is counter to good MPG).

I haven't ridden in a Bolt yet but I would consider the EUV over the Leaf today if interior space were similar and the ride was softer than the Y. I default to driving the Leaf over the Y mostly because of the harsh ride.
Or, get the electric car you need for most of the time, and rent a car for road trips.

No, I have no idea what you are talking about . The report is incorrect ?
In your post, you made it sound like GM was just paying people not to sue, with a lot of negative subtext.

GM was actually generous enough to offer a credit to people who bought the car before the price reduction.
As a side condition they asked that people who take that gift would not end up suing them.

If the move is questionable, it is somewhat understandable given the current mentality in this country...

And regarding the battery issue, this was also handled exceptionally well by GM, given there was only a handful of isolated incidents, but they did not hesitate to offer a massive recall to every one of every model year just to be on the safe side.

In your post, you made it sound like GM was just paying people not to sue, with a lot of negative subtext.

GM was actually generous enough to offer a credit to people who bought the car before the price reduction.
As a side condition they asked that people who take that gift would not end up suing them.

If the move is questionable, it is somewhat understandable given the current mentality in this country...

And regarding the battery issue, this was also handled exceptionally well by GM, given there was only a handful of isolated incidents, but they did not hesitate to offer a massive recall to every one of every model year just to be on the safe side.
Worst rated cars. F GM.

I see what you did there, you little rascal ! You implied that GM would give you $6000 without signing a waiver to not sue. They won’t. Why the GM cheerleading ? Stock owner? How many GM products have you owned ?

I bought my first GM when I converted to electric cars almost 10 years ago, starting with a Volt, then a used Spark, and in the past year a Bolt.
These have been the best purchase I ever made and could not be happier.

I don't specially care about GM, and I am sure they have flaws like most corporations. Other may have had different and bad experiences with GM, and if that is the case, they are entitled to being pissed about it.
But the subject that came up is one I know plenty about being on the first line, and I disagree with the principle of distorting facts to suit one's grievance.

I know this is the new trend this day of a Black and White world where people feel compelled to choose a camp on every subject, then do everything in their power to support that.
If your experience with GM was bad, you can use it to criticize them. no need to bend what is actually not that bad :)

I bought my first GM when I converted to electric cars almost 10 years ago, starting with a Volt, then a used Spark, and in the past year a Bolt.
These have been the best purchase I ever made and could not be happier.

I don't specially care about GM, and I am sure they have flaws like most corporations. Other may have had different and bad experiences with GM, and if that is the case, they are entitled to being pissed about it.
But the subject that came up is one I know plenty about being on the first line, and I disagree with the principle of distorting facts to suit one's grievance.

I know this is the new trend this day of a Black and White world where people feel compelled to choose a camp on every subject, then do everything in their power to support that.
If your experience with GM was bad, you can use it to criticize them. no need to bend what is actually not that bad :)
You’re reading way too much into it. Camps ? Too funny. Just passing along a little info. Ou must see the humor in a company ,that tells you not to park your EV in the garage, in fear of fire. Run an extension cord out to the street ? It shows this whole EV thing is still in its infancy. Maybe in 10-20 years, it will become practical. For example a Ford truck in the winter pulling a trailer,would have a range of less than 100 miles. Don’t think that’s ready for prime time.

I've got no skin in the game and am not brand loyal. I've owned Honda, Acura, Volkswagen, Volvo, BMW and Fiat products. They all have their bad and good. It's easy to pop in an article (BTW the author concludes with: "I am not one to tell people what to do, but if it were me, I’d take the money at this point. I am no legal expert, but somehow I doubt that any legal action would result in a greater compensation than up to $6,000 you can get through this program – it it sounds like a good deal."). Let's just not ignore that other brands have had bigger battery recalls due to fire risk (Hyundai Kona with 82,000 units) or the fact that ICE and hybrid vehicles are more prone to fires. GM is a big target, though.

You’re reading way too much into it. Camps ? Too funny. Just passing along a little info. Ou must see the humor in a company ,that tells you not to park your EV in the garage, in fear of fire. Run an extension cord out to the street ? It shows this whole EV thing is still in its infancy. Maybe in 10-20 years, it will become practical. For example a Ford truck in the winter pulling a trailer,would have a range of less than 100 miles. Don’t think that’s ready for prime time.
I’m a long time reader and user of consumer reports. The ratings are pretty ugly. Especially Tesla.

You’re readithe street ? It shows this whole EV thing is still in its infancy. Maybe in 10-20 years, it will become practical. For example a Ford truck in the winter pulling a trailer,would have a range of less than 100 miles. Don’t think that’s ready for prime time.

If pulling a trailer in the dead of winter is 95% of your uses, absolutely do no opt for an EV pickup. Even then, pre-conditioning the battery negates a lot of the energy loss. And I highly doubt that most of the population are Ice Road Truckers. This is like telling someone who lives in the Bahamas that the only practical jacket option is a down-filled jacket because they might walk into a freezer. American culture tends to overbuy for their needs.

Like a lot of people who live in the suburbs around a metropolis, I commute. So for that 85% use case, I chose an energy efficient vehicle. We still have our humongous AWD Honda Pilot but that will be relegated to hauling duties. If we need to do a road trip that's more than 2 charging stops one-way, we will likely rent a hybrid. But I also know that the infrastructure for EVs will get a lot better in the near future.

Or, get the electric car you need for most of the time, and rent a car for road trips.
This!!^^

After 4 years of owning an electric car, my annual daily average miles of driving (keeping in mind I live rural and need to visit the suburbs or cities for essentials) is 40.8. This is 99.9% of my annual needs.

But any trip outside my charge range of 150 miles requires planning on where the Level 3 Chademo (or Level 2 J1772s in a pinch) are enroute ...or... simply taking our Prius instead.

Now, my new Rivian (due the 1st quarter of 2023) will have a range of over 400 miles on one charge, plus a super fast 350w quick charge (CCS) - ideal for traveling. The charging network is building out fast, even as we speak. By next year it will be feasible to travel electric without much range anxiety for any vehicle over 250 miles per charge. Right now? Things are getting there, just not at the point yet that we'd all like.

In the ex-urbs of Richmond in the recent 2 months I’ve seen 3 Rivians…or maybe one three times…beautiful
You know what’s weird? I’ve seen dozens (yes really) of Rivians and a handful of Lucid Airs but only one other EUV. And this is in California. The car that always makes my head turn is the Ioniq 5 though.

If pulling a trailer in the dead of winter is 95% of your uses, absolutely do no opt for an EV pickup. Even then, pre-conditioning the battery negates a lot of the energy loss. And I highly doubt that most of the population are Ice Road Truckers. This is like telling someone who lives in the Bahamas that the only practical jacket option is a down-filled jacket because they might walk into a freezer. American culture tends to overbuy for their needs.

Like a lot of people who live in the suburbs around a metropolis, I commute. So for that 85% use case, I chose an energy efficient vehicle. We still have our humongous AWD Honda Pilot but that will be relegated to hauling duties. If we need to do a road trip that's more than 2 charging stops one-way, we will likely rent a hybrid. But I also know that the infrastructure for EVs will get a lot better in the near future.
No reason to exaggerate , I live in northern Mi and it’s plenty cold. I can see them for urban use as long as you have garage or access to a quick charging station but does that apply to the Bolt ?

Chademo is being phased out. The upcoming Nissan Ariya will be using J1772. I don’t know that a J1772 to Chademo adapter exists. I bought a J1772 to Tesla adapter for our Bolt for when we are over at my sister’s place since they have a Model Y.
Your fingers mistyped - you meant to say the Nissan Ariya will be using CCS for Level 3 quick charging instead of Chademo. It uses the J1772 for normal Level 2 charging (home charging), just as does the Leaf and most other EVs except Tesla.

There are no level 2 adapters that can be used with a level 3. The power levels and delivery are completely different.

I have a J1772-to-Tesla-Destination-Charger adapter so I can plug in my Leaf at any Tesla destination charger (Level 2) if I need the charge. Nice little option that has spent its entire time sitting in my car unused. But if I need it I'll have it.

In the ex-urbs of Richmond in the recent 2 months I’ve seen 3 Rivians…or maybe one three times…beautiful
I was fortunate to see for the first time up close a Rivian a few days ago that pulled into the parking lot of our local Home Depot a few cars in front of us. I scouted down the owner in the store and found him in one of the aisles. We had the loveliest half hour conversation about his truck. He gave me and my husband lots of tips, and real world experience, about the truck.

It now remains to be seen if we will still be getting our $7,500 tax credit when we take delivery of the truck next year. The change in the laws regarding EV tax credits is going to have to shake itself out in the next few weeks before we know for certain. I hope that anyone who has pre-ordered any EV before August 2022 will be grandfathered in to the prior regulations.

No reason to exaggerate , I live in northern Mi and it’s plenty cold. I can see them for urban use as long as you have garage or access to a quick charging station but does that apply to the Bolt ?

Oh, I believe you about your climate. I still don't think many folks have a need to haul a trailer daily for long distances. And if you so happen to be a person that requires a vehicle that can tow for hundreds of miles per day, I'll concede that an ICE vehicle will do that job better than an EV.

Yes, the Bolt has one of the slowest DCFC rates currently. It's great for commuting but not great for long road trips. I have done one fast charging session so far from 15% to 80% and that took an hour. Luckily, these fast chargers are at very convenient locations like shopping centers and restaurants where you'd expect to stretch your legs, eat and have a bio-break.

Oh, I believe you about your climate. I still don't think many folks have a need to haul a trailer daily for long distances. And if you so happen to be a person that requires a vehicle that can tow for hundreds of miles per day, I'll concede that an ICE vehicle will do that job better than an EV.

Yes, the Bolt has one of the slowest DCFC rates currently. It's great for commuting but not great for long road trips. I have done one fast charging session so far from 15% to 80% and that took an hour. Luckily, these fast chargers are at very convenient locations like shopping centers and restaurants where you'd expect to stretch your legs, eat and have a bio-break.
When it takes the same time to charge as it does to fill your car, it will work.

Last edited:
I'm not liking the way this new EV credit law is reading... has to be built in North America and the battery has to be x% material from a "partner" (which may be waived for the first year or two).

Probably going to buy one more EV/PHEV (that is eligible for the $7500 Fed credit) this year just in case.

When it takes the same to charge as it does to fill your car, it will work.

For who? You're making some very general statements. No doubt that EVs are not for everyone. For a large chunk of the population who are able to fully charge while they are sleeping and occasionally do 500 mile roadtrips, EVs are already working. Even apartment dwellers who don't have access to home charging can utilize an EV if they have Level 2 chargers at work. Obviously there are some rural parts of the country without charging infrastructure or a reliable way to charge at home; it's not for them (yet). You're right that EV tech may still be in it's infancy, but I'll counter with "If it's this good now, imagine how great it's going to be in the next few years." And no, it's not going to "be practical" in 10-20 years, it already is the most reasonable choice for a lot of people. It is a different mind-set; filling up a full tank in 3 minutes is great but so is having a full battery when you wake up or get out of work...and that doesn't even cost me an extra trip to the station.

I'm not anti-ICE. On the contrary, I've been in enthusiast groups for almost every car I've owned. I love the way they sound, I even love the way exhaust smells when a motor is running rich, I find it therapeutic to wrench on them. But EVs are the future (and now).

Back